Motivation.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domus

Guru
My motivation was joining the 50 K challenge. When I go out it is difficult to cut a ride short which would mean missing out on a point.
Works for me.

mustang1

Guru
Why do you feel like you need to ride, is it a challenge or something? Or just part of your exercise regime? If exercise, then do something else.

If it's just because you feel guilty or something then sold it and take a break .

Nebulous

Guru
I've had two bad falls on ice - and that put me off riding in very cold weather. I was a gym member and spent a bit of time during the winter sitting on a gym bike. Last winter I scrapped the gym, bought a turbo and did less than usual, despite its ready availability. This winter I bought a smart trainer, signed up to zwift and it has been just what I needed to keep me motivated. In January I did the equivalent of 750km, which is usually only something I achieve in summer. More importantly I've added a structure I've never had before and have been following some training plans. Hopefully by the time my outdoor cycling picks up I'll be hitting the spring fitter than I have done for a long time.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
[QUOTE 5523672, member: 9609"]Just can't think of a better time of the year to be on the road - just spectacular in every respect. Just wish it was colder, more snow and went on for much longer.
This last week has just been fantastic
View attachment 450384 View attachment 450385 View attachment 450386

and its -8.4 now so the morrow (sunday) could be a good'un. barely get to sleep with the excitment of it all. Bikes all oiled up and ready to roll[/QUOTE]

Are your hands stuck the handlebars so you have to keep riding day and night?

mgs315

I wouldn’t worry too much. If you don’t fancy going out, don’t. No point turning your hobby into a chore. You’ll only find it harder to get the bug when the weather improves. Also risks the chance of falling on ice if you go out (I saw loads of it in the Kent hills this morning).

Whilst the views are stunning this time of year, if you only want to ride for enjoyment then stay at home with a brew. Sod those velominati rules. If you want to keep fitness up a bit so that the summer is full of smiles then jump on a trainer.

Have you done many miles in Lincolnshire, I have in Scotland and found the road conditions far better
Yes and many more in Scotland. The roads in Scotland are more reliably gritted but overall there in far worse condition. You might have been lucky enough to find a small pocket in Scotland where they aren't heavily trafficked and ripped up by traffic and the constant freeze/thaw at this time of year but thats a rarity in Scotland as a whole :okay:

screenman

Legendary Member
Yes and many more in Scotland. The roads in Scotland are more reliably gritted but overall there in far worse condition. You might have been lucky enough to find a small pocket in Scotland where they aren't heavily trafficked and ripped up by traffic and the constant freeze/thaw at this time of year but thats a rarity in Scotland as a whole :okay:

I accept your views, we must have been very lucky. The roads local to my village are wrecked and make cycling on anything other than a fatbike unpleasant. Mind you when down your way we often comment about how good the roads are.

Top Bottom