Motivation.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Well, the weather was nice and sunny today, although still cold. I got the bike out and went out for 12 miles. Only rode my bike 3 times last month. There is another 7 weeks of winter so we'll see.
Snap but I managed 18, although I stayed out a little too long that cold was getting to me by the end

screenman

Legendary Member
I’ve cycled in Nth Linconshire and the Horncastle area. I’d swap you road surface anytime to SWScotland. You can keep that sticky mud the tractors drop mind you. ^_^

I seem to remember the roads around Oban being quite nice, might be rose tinited glasses, how long since you have been to Horncastle? which is just down the road from me and wher I fix dents most days.

OldShep

Über Member
I seem to remember the roads around Oban being quite nice, might be rose tinited glasses, how long since you have been to Horncastle? which is just down the road from me and wher I fix dents most days.
Stayed at Greetham 4 yrs ago Loved the bridleway network as well as the roads being far less draggy than around here.

Slick

Guru
Argyll roads in general were up until very recently amongst the worst in the country. They did spend a large chunk of cash bringing them back up to standard last year but not before they were left to degrade to such a degree they attracted additional funding from central government. They are probably not alone but it is a very common tactic amongst the local council in Argyll. Your view on the condition of local roads will vary depending on exactly where they were on that cycle.

[QUOTE 5524419, member: 9609"]I am back and forward over the border quite a lot and I would say the roads are far better maintained on the north side. And I think they have given up gritting minor roads in north northumberland now. Just been there this afternoon and must have done 15 to 20 miles like the following, absolutely draining both mentally and physically.
North of the border was full speed ahead on clear roads.
View attachment 450535 View attachment 450536

But getting back to the motivation thing - just the whole idea and novelty of riding in winter conditions is motivation enough for me.
the only downside is maintaining the bike in weather like this. not looking forward to spending the next hour or so cleaning it down and getting it all oiled up and ready to roll the morrow -[/QUOTE]
The roads in the borders area are definitely very nice. The ones in the central belt and lowland highlands are terrible in places.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Agreed, like many, whether they'll admit to it or not. It's too damned cold, so there.
Imo not really too cold to ride, once I get going I get warm quite quickly.
My face gets quite sore, though, must experiment with better barrier moisturizers.

[QUOTE 5524419, member: 9609"]Just been there this afternoon and must have done 15 to 20 miles like the following, absolutely draining both mentally and physically.[/QUOTE]
Of course it would be.
Why don't you invest in studded tyres?
They really work, all the fear of falling off due to ice goes away, it's a great feeling.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My motivation took a big hit at the end of last year due to family bheslth problems and now iobscen working hours mean I've not done much .
I have put on about 8 llbs !
Got out this afternoon for a cold ride and it boosted my morale no end,no more seeking comfort in the cake cupboard.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
[QUOTE 5524459, member: 9609"]how do they work on clear roads ?
I may of done 15 on snowy roads and 20 on clear today.

and since I use marathon pluses that are not too much fun to take on and off, would I have to invest in two new wheels as well.[/QUOTE]
They work fine on clear roads, many times I leave home from work when it's icy, then return to clear roads.
Many cyclists that commute from the villages higher up from me, where it's always icy early in the mornings keep the studded tyres on all winter.
I don't think folk change from studded to normal according to the daily forecast, either you have an N+1 as ice bike, or you just ride on studs till mid March.
Buy them in the summer when you can get bargains, you need to bed the studs in by riding them for 40 miles on smooth(ish) tarmac before using them as ordinary tyres.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I must admit my 'motivation' at the moment is that if I don't ride my bike my boss will stop paying me. I have to get to the tram stop and go to work.

That said, I could use the bus, but then I'd have to wait for the connection when I come back and I can't be bothered. I feel like the work day ende when I get on my bike, so in better conditions, the sooner I'm riding the better...

Top Bottom