Motor cycle racing......some questions for you experts.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Latest generation production Superbikes are just daft now.

Any of the big hitters (S1000RR, R1M, GSXR1000, Panigale, RSV4 etc) should easily hit 200mph without really trying!.

They are all very complex, all have drive by wire throttle etc and it's just gone a bit too far imho..

Have more fun riding the early stuff now, RD500 was my favourite from this year.

20190515_213510.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
I always preferred the RG500. Head bangers favourite strokwr. The Elsie was for fashionistas.

Proto

Legendary Member
99.9% * of 'motorcyclists' couldn't ride any 50 bhp bike flat out for any distance on a twisty road. ;)
*Arbitrary figure plucked out of thin air simply to illustrate a point.

I enjoyed embarrassing a Ducati 916 on my Honda Hornet 600 at a Mallory trackday. There was just nowhere for him to use the power advantage. I did wear my foot peg away, and part of my boot, though, in the effort

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I enjoyed embarrassing a Ducati 916 on my Honda Hornet 600 at a Mallory trackday. There was just nowhere for him to use the power advantage.
There was plenty of opportunity for him to use the power...........he just didn't know how to.;)

screenman

Legendary Member
My brothers wife banned him from any more track days when he crashed heavily at Cadwell and ended up in hospital for 5 days, he was over 80 years old at the time.

Smudge

Veteran
I have to make do with a puny 143 horses on the Max, and that does reel like a lot. Mind you, with 160NM of grunt it's full fat horsepower, not anorexic mega high rev power.

The design of the original mighty Max was so ahead of its time, it still looks good today, Yamaha really nailed it with that bike.
The new one they brought out in the late noughties was ridiculously priced, started around £16K and ended up around £25K.

keithmac

Guru
We were Yamaha main dealers in the 90's, they used to come in on curtain sided lorries bolted into metal crates.

Can still remember lifting them off the side by hand!, there would have been 3 of is but still bloody heavy bikes to throw around!.

Same with the FJ1200's and the FZR1000's!.

screenman

Legendary Member
My last bike which I sold 5 years ago was a R850R, had some great rides on the bike including a week around the alps, I though after that long without a bike it would be out of my system, however each time I see a Beemer I think shall I, sports bikes have little appeal.

Sharky

Guru
Know nothing about m'bikes, but my Grand Father's brother may have done :-

John S Ward on his Sunbeam.jpeg

He rode the IOM before the war and crashed badly.
Anybody know of any historical records of events and results from this era.

Top Bottom