Motor cycle racing......some questions for you experts.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru

Brilliant - found him in the 1933 results, finishing 14th

MGP 1933 Senior Results
Posn No Competitor Machine Time Speed
1 0 Harold L Daniell Norton 2.56.29.0 76.98
2 0 J Kelly Swanston Norton 2.59.00.0 75.9
3 0 Jock JM Muir Norton 3.00.52.0 75.11
4 0 Norman Gledhill Norton 3.03.50.0 73.9
5 0 Ron Harris Norton 3.04.44.0 73.54
6 0 Austin Munks Velocette 3.05.03.0 73.42
7 0 Crasher J H White Velocette 3.08.54.0 71.92
8 0 J Fletcher Sunbeam 3.11.19.0 71.01
9 0 J H Blyth Norton 3.13.46.0 70.11
10 0 Bertie WA Rowell Velocette 3.14.20.0 69.91
11 0 Jack A McL Leslie Velocette 3.15.02.0 69.66
12 0 J P Williamson Rudge 3.16.06.0 69.28
13 0 R Allen Norton 3.16.55.0 68.99
14 0 J S Ward Sunbeam 3.17.05.0 68.93

Seems like he rode two events and crashed out of one of them.
I believe he recovered from the crash, but sadly died of a brain tumour a few years later.

Many thanks for the link to the TT database.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
My last bike which I sold 5 years ago was a R850R, had some great rides on the bike including a week around the alps, I though after that long without a bike it would be out of my system, however each time I see a Beemer I think shall I, sports bikes have little appeal.

I had an R1100R in the late 90s. Best bike I ever owned. Should never have sold it.

Smudge

Veteran
I had an old air cooled Beemer, R80GS. Oh how I wish I'd kept that one!

They fetch silly money now....... Cos classic is in, retro is in and adventure bikes are in. That bike hits all three.
BMW jumped on the bandwagon and made a modern version of it, albeit a 1200cc version.

r-nine-t-urban-rear-quarter.jpg

Smudge

Veteran
Pretty much going under until then.

I dont think they were going under, they just realised where the market was without pricing themselves out of it. So they produced cracking 700cc and 900cc engines and put them in many different bikes, to produce many different models at lower cost. Its worked very well for them. You know how good they are, you bought one.
The 700 twin is in the new Tenere that's just come out, which will be another good seller for them.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I dont think they were going under, they just realised where the market was without pricing themselves out of it. So they produced cracking 700cc and 900cc engines and put them in many different bikes, to produce many different models at lower cost. Its worked very well for them. You know how good they are, you bought one.
The 700 twin is in the new Tenere that's just come out, which will be another good seller for them.
Fair enough, they were certainly struggling as were others with the 600cc ish market.

The crossplane engines are just astonishing. As you say they've made 3 or 4 cracking bikes based on the same lump. Good signs for spare parts

Smudge

Veteran
Fair enough, they were certainly struggling as were others with the 600cc ish market.

The crossplane engines are just astonishing. As you say they've made 3 or 4 cracking bikes based on the same lump. Good signs for spare parts

They've made 4 motorcycles just out of the 900 triple alone, the 700 twin must be getting on for another 4 or 5 bikes plus the new T7 coming out.
Than there's also the MT10.
They're on a roll.

Drago

Legendary Member
Oh aye, the R1 with the crossplane engine was supernaturally good, and sounded like a Spitfire at full chat. Shame it was too small for a husky gent like wot I is :sad:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Oh aye, the R1 with the crossplane engine was supernaturally good, and sounded like a Spitfire at full chat. Shame it was too small for a husky gent like wot I is :sad:

Most are too small now in the fast bike class, track day bikes that will make you feel like your a riding god are what we have now..
Road riding bikes they are not.
Some fabulous bikes about, but I've not missed owning one since i gave them up in 2012
Bloody expensive now too..

As for wish I'd kept a few.. Oh i do wish i could have..

D

Deleted member 26715

Just sold my VFR800 along with my Formula 27 (Lotus lookalikey) money is burning a hole in my pocket for a BMW RxxxxGS but they are such stupid money

Top Bottom