Motorbike and scooter owners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

I could get the sliders down on my Ducati 900SS. I had the ones with titanium studs, which left a trail of sparks. Literally brought down to Earth when I slung it down the road at Rockingham, (hairpin behind the pits), caused by touching down the silencer.:ph34r:
I used to get the right knee down around roundabouts on the Fireblade, but I nearly crapped myself the fist time I got the left down at Donnington, I wonder what the beegeebus was happening

Drago

Legendary Member
Ah, the old mk1 Widowmaker 900.

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
I think the old 'widow maker' moniker was applied to a few bikes. The first I heard it was in ref. to what's still (imho) the best looking motorbike ever made, the Kawasaki H2 750. The nearly as beautiful Suzuki GT750 was called the same nickname by some, but at least they could corner at speed.

Meanwhile, making use of social distance buying and one of the courier firms still operating, I accidentally bought this...

1586265905138.png

...which was delivered today. 49cc of raw, unadulterated throbbing 'power'. Probably still not the wheeziest thing in my collection, but it won't be the fastest either! Now, can you still get Microns and big bore kits for them? Time to go looking.

keithmac

Guru
I think the old 'widow maker' moniker was applied to a few bikes. The first I heard it was in ref. to what's still (imho) the best looking motorbike ever made, the Kawasaki H2 750. The nearly as beautiful Suzuki GT750 was called the same nickname by some, but at least they could corner at speed.

Meanwhile, making use of social distance buying and one of the courier firms still operating, I accidentally bought this...

View attachment 513215

...which was delivered today. 49cc of raw, unadulterated throbbing 'power'. Probably still not the wheeziest thing in my collection, but it won't be the fastest either! Now, can you still get Microns and big bore kits for them? Time to go looking.

MB50?.

keithmac

Guru
Hi, Keith, yes it's an MBX 50. The gearing is very much like an NSR125 (except for the speed!) as you're only in each cog for about 2 seconds before changing up!

http://www.mb5.co.uk/14.html

Worth a read (4 parts). The inlet and carb are a big restriction on UKDM bikes.

Reeds have very little opening (reed stops on barrel need milling off) etc.

Our MT-5 is bone stock but mulling over giving it a bit more go when my lad gets used to it.

raleighnut

Legendary Member

View attachment 513215

The trouble with the old H2 triple was they could corner when you wanted em to go straight. The GT750 was known as 'The Kettle' due to it's propensity for boiling over when you switched the engine off after some 'spirited riding'. :ohmy:

MarkF

Guru
I really want one of these, and at less than 5k I am tempted -

View attachment 513327
BMW GS310

I read up on these when I had a short lived desire for a fun 250/300cc last autumn. They look great fun, as do the KTM390 and the Honda CB300, it's good to see this cc range growing. However, I am ok with BMW & KTM building their bikes in India but I'd like them to pass some of the savings on to me! I think £5k for a 300cc Indian made (so low residuals) bike it is too w.a.y too much, especially compared to a Royal Enfield Interceptor. It's hard to keep up to date with things, I saw a gorgeous Benelli the other day, got home and looked it up, it's a Chinese motorbike company today.

BMW GS310 - 2019 - 59 miles - £3699! That's more like it and shows the RRP to be daft.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-G-31...251603?hash=item4457c43153:g:K1QAAOSw~15eWtJT

Smudge

Veteran
I really want one of these, and at less than 5k I am tempted -

View attachment 513327
BMW GS310

Get a ride on one first. I test rode one as i wanted a small cc replacement for my Honda CRF250L, for something that had a bit more power but was still light. But i didn't like it much, i didn't like the riding position or the suspension. Glad i didn't like it really as there's been many prob issues reported with this model.
At the time, i also test rode the Kawa Versys 300X. I was very impressed with this bike, it has a big bike feel, but it is light & flickable. The thing really is quick for 300cc. But its 39bhp power is all up high in the rev range. Its also a twin, which is better on the road than a single. I would have bought this Versys, but it was only a few months away from the new CB500X coming out in 2019, so i held off til then.
The CB obviously did it for me, because that is what i ended up buying.... but the Versys 300X was a very close second.

keithmac

Guru
Honda used to produce bikes in Brazil (maybe still do?), quite a few Italian marques are produced in China.

Even Harley spares have "Made In China" on the bags!.

Suzuki have had some suspect models out as well (definitely not Japanese built).

Top Bottom