Motorbike and scooter owners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Suzuki has sadly now become the least innovative of the 4 Jap manufacturers, just sticking to old models and only going so far as doing face lifts on them. I've bought many of their models over the years, but they dont currently have anything that interests me.
That's not always a bad thing. Bikes that have been around for years tend to have had all the faults ironed out, and if you value reliability over cutting edge performance that can cut the mustard.

Smudge

Veteran
That's not always a bad thing. Bikes that have been around for years tend to have had all the faults ironed out, and if you value reliability over cutting edge performance that can cut the mustard.

Yes, all the Suzuki's i've had, have been very reliable. The V Stroms and SV's in particular have legendary reliable engines. The finish could be better on many of their bikes though, especially the paint that has a rep for being thinly coated.
But Suzuki aren't selling like they used to, and thats down to not bringing out new models like other manufacturers have.

Smudge

Veteran
Nice ride out around the Somerset levels today in this great weather. The few times I parked up, even out in the countryside there is still usually some human activity noise, now the only sound is bird song, Its quite weird.

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
Oh yeah, this arrived last Sunday I think:

Actually pretty much out of room now, so the CBR1000s can go, possibly followed by this. Been offered a Kawasaki AR50 for a fair price and always fancied one, plus there's some other strokers potentially in the pipeline.

All being well, the DMW is off to a mate who's going to look at the wiring for me. No recent news on the Lambretta though, and really want it back as would like to go to work on it.

Smudge

Veteran
Oh yeah, this arrived last Sunday I think:

View attachment 516241

View attachment 516242

Actually pretty much out of room now, so the CBR1000s can go, possibly followed by this. Been offered a Kawasaki AR50 for a fair price and always fancied one, plus there's some other strokers potentially in the pipeline.

All being well, the DMW is off to a mate who's going to look at the wiring for me. No recent news on the Lambretta though, and really want it back as would like to go to work on it.

Mk1 there i see.... I've had two Mk1 Bandits, a 6 and a 12. Plus a couple of later models.

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
Fired the DT100 up today, plan on going to work on it tomorrow. Only an idiot would run out of fuel on the last ride, tip about 11p's worth out of a can, forget he'd done it then run out of fuel again next time out! Trip to the petrol station in the van, filled the tank and it seems ok again now.

Bit of feng shui in the storage place, pulled this to the front then decided to try it down a private road. Won't run with choke all the way in (someone says main jet blocked) and noticed one front foot peg rubber has jumped ship.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Morning rides yesterday and today around North Lincs and South Yorks / Doncaster areas ..... The gout has kicked in after 2 years since it's last visit so i can't get my cycling shoes on .... any excuse for the motor bike ..... Back cycling on Wednesday hopefully after the meds have done their thing.
Will try to park further from the dog poo bin next time ........ doh!

a.twiddler

Veteran
I was just idly looking through this sub forum and came across Cavalol's post re the DMW Deemster BDE 201C. An amazing coincidence as I owned this from 1970 -1972. A real blast from the past! I can give more info if needed. I know it's an old thread but as a new member I can't pm yet

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I'm on the verge of splashing out on a Lexmoto Isca 125. It will be the smallest bike I've ever owned as I just want a B road pootler and something light to lug round. The need for speed has long gone but I do miss motorcycling.

MarkF

Guru
I'm on the verge of splashing out on a Lexmoto Isca 125. It will be the smallest bike I've ever owned as I just want a B road pootler and something light to lug round. The need for speed has long gone but I do miss motorcycling.

I bought a VanVan 125 to commute, smallest bike l'd had since l was 16, 40 years ago! Surprising how quickly you get used to it.

Wouldn't buy a Lexmoto though unless it was all l could afford.

Thinking of using the VanVan for an eastern European tour later in the year if borders are open.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Wouldn't buy a Lexmoto though unless it was all l could afford.
I've thought long and hard about that. I've read all the "Chinese bikes are crap" comments on the forums but they all come from people who have never owned one. The general opinion is that they have improved considerably in recent years and are not far behind Japanese standards now (Small capacity Jap bikes are nearly all made in China anyway). I've spoken to a few owners and comments are positive, looked after they seem to last.

My budget is limited to What Mrs SJ is happy with me spending, I could afford a good bit more but that would not really be fair as it is only a leisure toy. A lot of people advise to get a second hand CB125 for the same money as a new Lexmoto - £1500 - but I would not buy a second hand 125. Most have been owned by young learners and those I see about are rolling wrecks, thrashed to bits, dropped, shagged chains hanging off and rust everywhere. Mine will be garaged, dry weather only and I know how to look after bikes, I've had enough of them. The other plus is that I have a dealer fairy close by, the nearest Japanese place is 70 miles away. Two years warranty too, so I'm prepared to take a punt.

MarkF

Guru
The 2 garages l use won't work on them, or Sinnis, DK or Mash either. I don't want to be rude and don't believe they are "no good" but think they are miles away from a Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha Chinese made 125 and any saving will be wiped out by it's residual value. I would not buy one mainly because l want to buy into a guaranteed long term quality parts supply.

I looked at Mash but you'd think 2 of the same models came from different factories such was the wildly differing quality...oh they did...

Yep, there are loads of knackered 125's but also plenty from middle aged newbies, mine was mint from a 62 year old l vicar, honest guv!

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
Have to say (having briefly owned two of them) I'd avoid Lexmoto like the plague. They seem beset by engine failures/problems, even though they probably share generic motors with other Chinese stuff.

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
I was just idly looking through this sub forum and came across Cavalol's post re the DMW Deemster BDE 201C. An amazing coincidence as I owned this from 1970 -1972. A real blast from the past! I can give more info if needed. I know it's an old thread but as a new member I can't pm yet

Brilliant, thanks. I'll try and message you.

Top Bottom