Motorbike and scooter owners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
There is only one reason to buy a Chinese motorcycle.... and that is price. Its a way of getting a brand new motorcycle at a cheap price.
I cant think of any other reason for buying one.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Not all Chinese bikes are the same, certainly- Benelli springs to mind (Italian brand but manufacturing in China). Those are pretty decent by all accounts. However, the likes of Lexmoto, Sinnis & WK do seem rather fond of finding cheap-and-nasty models of whatever they want to flog, flogging them for a year or two and then moving on to the next cheap-and-nasty model they can find. My garage told me that they couldn't hold of Lexmoto parts for bikes that were a couple of years old. There's a reason you hardly see any of those things more than a couple of years old, and it's not because they're the exclusive preserve of 17 year old eejits (which they aren't, though certainly the majority are). My WK 50cc scoot was metaphorically made of cheese. Started rusting in a matter of months. Absolutely no way it could have managed to get anywhere near the PCX's mileage without spending enough money to just buy another one…I saw a few around on the road when I had mine, not for a while- the last I saw in the garage a year or two back…it was dead. Not nearly dead, really dead.

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
For what it's worth: I'd suggest keeping an eye on MCN classifieds etc for a decent big brand bike of your choice. Cheap low-mileage minters do exist- my YBR (RIP) had only a couple of thousand miles on it in four years, and in superb nick from a Honda main dealer.

MarkF

Guru
For what it's worth: I'd suggest keeping an eye on MCN classifieds etc for a decent big brand bike of your choice. Cheap low-mileage minters do exist- my YBR (RIP) had only a couple of thousand miles on it in four years, and in superb nick from a Honda main dealer.

Definitely. A Suzuki 125 will suffer 35-45000 miles of abuse on nothing more than regular oil & filter changes. I bought my 2010 RV125 for £1200 two and a half years ago with 4k on the clock, I've done another 3k+ in commuting. I don't expect anything to go wrong with it ever and a service kit costs about £30, oil, oil filter + air filter. The finish is as good as when I bought it & it's now worth more than I paid for it.:okay:

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
Interesting.

How long ago and what were the problems?

Last 12 months and smoking/knackered engines and general poor build quality. Also, looking at a few for sale on the internet, there was quite a number with problems being offered, a lot of them far newer than I'd have thought.

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
Circa 1980, my mate and I used to go into a local Suzuki dealers most Saturdays and get the sales rep to pull out a TS ER for us to sit on. 40 years later, have finally bought one. Would have preferred red or yellow, but beggars and choosers etc...

Safely delivered using social distance by an excellent car courier. First impressions are great, a couple of short runs down a private road and it's brilliant, and (obviously) a lot more pokey than the DT100.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Circa 1980, my mate and I used to go into a local Suzuki dealers most Saturdays and get the sales rep to pull out a TS ER for us to sit on. 40 years later, have finally bought one. Would have preferred red or yellow, but beggars and choosers etc...

View attachment 519385

View attachment 519386

Safely delivered using social distance by an excellent car courier. First impressions are great, a couple of short runs down a private road and it's brilliant, and (obviously) a lot more pokey than the DT100.
I was paid to ride one of those, same colour as that. Local Authority parks section, patrolling riverbanks, bridleways and woodland.

They were cracking little bikes, with suitable tyres they could climb the most unbelievable gradients, ones that would scare the crap out of me now even at the thought of walking up.

I envy you, bikes around the 175 / 200cc mark have all but disappeared because of the learner laws. I often wonder how much difference the tougher testing has made to the accident rate, and as a former car ADI I would suspect sweet F all.

Last edited:

MarkF

Guru

View attachment 519385

View attachment 519386

Cool looking bike.:smile: I'd like to own again a Suzuki SP370, Yamaha DT250 & a Kawasaki KLR250, they were so simple and so much fun. There are lots of mopeds I'd like to have a go on again, but never, ever would I want to own one. I'd love to have hour on this but in my world I value it at about £1000.:okay:

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
Cool looking bike.:smile: I'd like to own again a Suzuki SP370, Yamaha DT250 & a Kawasaki KLR250, they were so simple and so much fun. There are lots of mopeds I'd like to have a go on again, but never, ever would I want to own one. I'd love to have hour on this but in my world I value it at about £1000.:okay:

Likewise. Was saving for a FS1E, but they're just stupidly priced now, ditto the AP50.

Top Bottom