Motorbike and scooter owners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
My Van Van is 10 years old, spoked wheels, a lot of shiny bits and they are not know for their durable finish. I am not anal about cleaning it, if I get home and it's been cold and wet, I don't, I give it a good clean once a month. The bike looks newer than his 18 month old MT07. His last bike was a VFR800 (he never oiled the change on that either) I think it was about 15 years old, maybe more, I know it had fairings but the deterioration was nothing like the Yamaha which needs stripping down and restoring IMO.

Its how they are treated and looked after. I have a 3 yr old XSR900, which shares many parts of the Yam MT, XSR and Tracer range of the 700 and 900 models. Yet there isn't a patch of corrosion anywhere on my bike.

Smudge

Veteran
Also a mate of mine has an MT-09 that he bought when they came out in 2013, it has 25K on the clock but is immaculate.
Yet i've seen a Ducati Multistrada, less than 2 yrs old parked in my town, and there is rust & corrosion in many places on it. It obviously never gets cleaned and is ridden in all weathers with no care taken on its finish.
If a bike looks like crap, its down to the owner.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Also a mate of mine has an MT-09 that he bought when they came out in 2013, it has 25K on the clock but is immaculate.
Yet i've seen a Ducati Multistrada, less than 2 yrs old parked in my town, and there is rust & corrosion in many places on it. It obviously never gets cleaned and is ridden in all weathers with no care taken on its finish.
If a bike looks like crap, its down to the owner.
You're right there, and unfortunately in the small capacity market most owners badly neglect them. I've spent about a month looking at second hand 125 Hondas and Yamahas and the only half decent ones were from main dealers, far too many miles away form me to bother with. Some of the two year old dogs I've seen for sale would make you cry, one if them being a CB125 with 3000 miles on the clock and (Wait for it)………...SEVEN previous owners!

a.twiddler

Veteran
My Van Van is 10 years old, spoked wheels, a lot of shiny bits and they are not know for their durable finish. I am not anal about cleaning it, if I get home and it's been cold and wet, I don't, I give it a good clean once a month. The bike looks newer than his 18 month old MT07. His last bike was a VFR800 (he never oiled the change on that either) I think it was about 15 years old, maybe more, I know it had fairings but the deterioration was nothing like the Yamaha which needs stripping down and restoring IMO.
It's a mystery. I am not a famous polisher but my current bike, a '95 Honda NTV650 which was in daily use until the current restrictions came in, looks better than many newer bikes. I've had it for 3 years. It came with a colour matched fairing. Previous to that I had 600 Bandit which was a nice bike but just didn't do it for me, so couldn't comment on paint durability as I sold it after a short time.

Before that I had another NTV650 which was in daily use, had it for 8 years, also put a fairing on it. It also didn't get a lot of cosmetic attention but cleaned up well when needed, no rust problems and looked pretty good when I came to sell it with 60 + thousand miles on it. No significant mechanical issues, tough as old boots etc. A proper old school Honda.

So bike manufacturers can produce a decently finished product if they want to.

I haven't had any real stinkers as far as paint finish is concerned though some were better than others.

Smudge

Veteran
You're right there, and unfortunately in the small capacity market most owners badly neglect them. I've spent about a month looking at second hand 125 Hondas and Yamahas and the only half decent ones were from main dealers, far too many miles away form me to bother with. Some of the two year old dogs I've seen for sale would make you cry, one if them being a CB125 with 3000 miles on the clock and (Wait for it)………...SEVEN previous owners!

I guess that an issue with used 125's. I expect many of them are bought and only kept for a short time until the owner get a full mc licence, hence having many owners doing the same.

Smudge

Veteran
Out for a few hours today, roads were fairly busy but when i stopped at Cheddar i've never seen it so quiet. Normally packed with mc's where i park.

Then a brand new Triumph Rocket 2.5L and a Kwak Z900 came in.

Also a couple of cool Ebikes.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
What a pisser.... new bike but cant ride it straight away.
I'm fuming, mostly at my own clumsy stupidity. The weather is forecast to get hotter next week too:angry:

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
Looked at my phone the other day at work. 'An item you were interested ends in 10 minutes' or something like that. I'd stopped watching it as the bids went quite high quite quickly when it was listed, but by the time of the ten minute warning it was still (relatively) cheap. Couple of late bids (the latter as a belts and braces approach) and I won the listing. Collected today, swapped insurance over from the CBR1000 and went for a blast:

Have to say really, really enjoyed it. It is, of course, nothing like the 'real' fizzy, but as a consequence was about 1/5th of the price they command. When I got home, I forgot some other essential shopping and took the SS out, followed by the TS. Lovely day for it.

Top Bottom