Motorbike and scooter owners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Smallest bike I've had since I passed my test was the CX500.

Although I love larger capacity sports bikes, I quite like 500’s I owned a GPZ500 for a couple of years, It was just a spare hack that I used whilst other bikes were in bits. I also owned a 1973 Yamaha TX500, the worlds most fragile bike, although mine seemed to keep going (as long as you kept the speed under 60 mph!)

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
Have to say those GPZ500s are a fab looking thing.

Gunk

Guru
Have to say those GPZ500s are a fab looking thing.

They’re a great do it all bike. Kawasaki made them for years. They’re the physical size of a 250 with a 60bhp parallel twin 500, much quicker than you’d think. I sold mine to a friend of mine and he still has it, he loves it! You can pick a very good example up for under £1000.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
My ex wife had one, after her 400/4, it was a really good small machine, did many long trips on it, sadly put under a car and lost all the plastic (uneconomical to replace) I made it a straight bar bike with a round headlight and it kept going until it was replaced by a Honda 600 of the same ilk many years later. (CB 600 IRC)

Smudge

Veteran
It wasn't that many years ago, i didn't take much notice of smaller cc bikes. But i've since seen the light, and the lightness of them. I'm now getting the resurgence in smaller cc, lighter bikes. If i had to go down to only owning one bike, i would probably keep the CB5X over the XSR.
I shall be out on the little Honda today and the little devil that sits on my shoulder, whispering in my ear when riding the XSR, can stay home.

Gunk

Guru
Had a great ride out to Henley by myself today. Stopped at the M&S garage at Benson and bought a sandwich. Had a very pleasant lunch sat by the river. About 55 miles, just enough to blow all the cobwebs away!

D

Deleted member 26715

Mentioned on another thread, it appears the biking fraternity have decided that the lockdown is either over or doesn't apply to them, in a 3 mile stretch of the A631 just East of Bawtry over 50 bikes all travelling in the opposite direction, 3 groups of 10+ then several 3 & 4's. Usual haunt is WIllingham Woods about 5 miles past Market Rasen, under normal circumstances it gets to the point where there is no parking due to numbers, HTF are they going to keep 2M apart once they get there, big Assumption that they are all going there, if not it will be Cleethorpes or Skegness, but the same applies.

Smudge

Veteran
Saw loads of bikes on the road today, and the bike park at Minehead seafront was as busy as it usually is in the summer. I could still see social distancing going on though.
I've seen a surprising number of 20 plate bikes this weekend, must have been collected back in march and probably only now being able to be run in.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Saw loads of bikes on the road today, and the bike park at Minehead seafront was as busy as it usually is in the summer. I could still see social distancing going on though.
I've seen a surprising number of 20 plate bikes this weekend, must have been collected back in march and probably only now being able to be run in.
I haven't checked, but from what I've seen on the roads it looks like bike sales are recovering from a very long slump which began with the '08 recession.

Smudge

Veteran
I haven't checked, but from what I've seen on the roads it looks like bike sales are recovering from a very long slump which began with the '08 recession.

I've noticed a fair hike in prices of new bikes in the last few years, new XSR9 has gone up by £2.2K from what i paid 3 yrs ago.. Not that it bothers me, cant see me buying any bike new again. In fact i'm probably on my last bikes now.

D

Deleted member 26715

I've noticed a fair hike in prices of new bikes in the last few years, new XSR9 has gone up by £2.2K from what i paid 3 yrs ago.. Not that it bothers me, cant see me buying any bike new again. In fact i'm probably on my last bikes now.
I remember my father saying that about a car he bought around 1976, since then he must have had another 10-15 until we had to prise the keys out of his hands at the age of 94

Top Bottom