Motorbike and scooter owners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
My mistake, the Himalayan is £62, Interceptor £82, still very cheap. They’re a nice bike.

https://www.royalenfield.co.uk/finance-options/2020-royal-enfield-interceptor-int-650-twin-39

Wow, I had no idea it was that cheap! No wonder I see a lot of things about, but then the RE dealer is only 2 miles away. I really like them in way I should like Triumphs but don't...so much.:okay: If I used an Interceptor 5 days a week for work instead of a car, then the fuel and car park savings would be higher than the monthly payment!

Interceptor_SandS.jpg

Last edited:

MarkF

Guru
I remember my father saying that about a car he bought around 1976, since then he must have had another 10-15 until we had to prise the keys out of his hands at the age of 94
I think cars and bike prices have been rising disproportionately recently, encouraging PCP to keep you renting and buying again, a sure bubble.

D

Deleted member 26715

I think cars and bike prices have been rising disproportionately recently, encouraging PCP to keep you renting and buying again, a sure bubble.
Yep once you are on the treadmill unless you want to go back to a much older car they've got you. I can't see the sense in it TBH

MarkF

Guru
The interceptor was designed by ex Triumph people in the UK, IMO it looks much better than the modern retro Triumphs.

That explains it then, I am a nitpicker but I can only think of the handlebar brace that I don't like much, it's style and proportions are bang on and it looks more "Triumph" than any current Triumph. Surely the latter are hurtling up a dead end? The Street Twin is £3k more and as it's probably made in Thailand, for what is that £3k extra? The Rocket pic that @Smudge posted reminded me of the Ductai Diablo and the new Vmax , bikes for newbie fat blokes that are are dying soon and something I'd never be seen dead on, and I am 57.

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Morning rides yesterday and today around North Lincs and South Yorks / Doncaster areas ..... The gout has kicked in after 2 years since it's last visit so i can't get my cycling shoes on .... any excuse for the motor bike ..... Back cycling on Wednesday hopefully after the meds have done their thing.
Will try to park further from the dog poo bin next time ........ doh!

View attachment 518037

View attachment 518039

View attachment 518041
Is that the Himalayan? It looks a lot more Scrambler-ey than the stock pictures. I love the look. What do you think of it? I love the look of all the enfields but just wondering what 29hp (or whatever it has) compares to other bikes in terms of acceleation etc. I've only had 125s (14hp) and 600s (70-90hp), nothing much inbetween

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Well yesterday was a new one on me. A guy came to buy my SV - took it for a short test ride and crashed it. A car pulled out on him, he didn't hit anything but I gather he lost control and stacked it into a verge/curb. He'll need new fairings, indicators etc. I felt bad for him, but he was ok (his new gear was all scratched and ripped). Apart from that, a trouble-free and socially distanced sale.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Is that the Himalayan? It looks a lot more Scrambler-ey than the stock pictures. I love the look. What do you think of it? I love the look of all the enfields but just wondering what 29hp (or whatever it has) compares to other bikes in terms of acceleation etc. I've only had 125s (14hp) and 600s (70-90hp), nothing much inbetween

I've ridden 100's of thousands of motorcycle miles on every thing from MZ's to ZZR 1100's and i find the Himma a breath of fresh air .... It's heavy ... but nimble, the acceleration is ... low by comparison to the ZZR and the Gixer ..

.. but it's a joy to ride ... It's my daily ride as my company pays my fuel and are happy to pay the bikes fuel as well as the van ..
Brilliant bike ... top class kit for very little pennies ...I removed the secondary mudguard on purchase ... it's for looks only and causes turbulence so it's safely stowed in the shed.

Last edited:

a.twiddler

Veteran
I've ridden 100's of thousands of motorcycle miles on every thing from MZ's to ZZR 1100's and i find the Himma a breath of fresh air .... It's heavy ... but nimble, the acceleration is ... low by comparison to the ZZR and the Gixer .. View attachment 523148

.. but it's a joy to ride ... It's my daily ride as my company pays my fuel and are happy to pay the bikes fuel as well as the van ..
Brilliant bike ... top class kit for very little pennies ...I removed the secondary mudguard on purchase ... it's for looks only and causes turbulence so it's safely stowed in the shed.
Blimey! Turbulence! it must be incredibly fast then. Does it suck small creatures out of hedges, overturn parked cars, cause following traffic to lose control and swerve all over the road? Seriously though, it looks good in that understated finish. Practical issues for a shortarse such as I would be, what's the seat height? Historically, Enfields have been known for fuel economy, are the modern engines as economical? How far on a tankful before reserve (if it has a reserve)? 29 hp is not massive in this day and age but if it's all useable and delivered in a relaxed manner it's all good. I have done loads of miles on a lot less. If my legs would stretch it could be my next bike. Are those tyres tubeless?

Last edited:

Smudge

Veteran
Its a nice looking retro bike that RE Interceptor. I've not seen one in the flesh yet, but seen a fair few of the Continental GT about, there was one at Minehead yesterday.
I wouldn't mind getting a test ride on one to see how it rides.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Blimey! Turbulence! it must be incredibly fast then. Does it suck small creatures out of hedges, overturn parked cars, cause following traffic to lose control and swerve all over the road? Seriously though, it looks good in that understated finish. Practical issues for a shortarse such as I would be, what's the seat height? Historically, Enfields have been known for fuel economy, are the modern engines as economical? How far on a tankful before reserve (if it has a reserve)? 29 hp is not massive in this day and age but if it's all useable and delivered in a relaxed manner it's all good. I have done loads of miles on a lot less. If my legs would stretch it could be my next bike. Are those tyres tubeless?

If you've actually ridden motorbikes for "loads of miles" i'm sure your very aware of helmet turbulence and it's effects.
>70 MPG / 280 per tank@£11 per fill.
29hp in this day and age is remarkably similar to the 29hp of previous days.
Only real problem is the seat height ... it's for shortarses. Good seat raising kits available, personally i have a swimming float cut to fit and gaffer taped on top for long rides ....
Excellent forum ... but very dry humour abounds .... http://www.royalenfieldowners.com/index.php?whats-new/posts/48161/

a.twiddler

Veteran
If you've actually ridden motorbikes for "loads of miles" i'm sure your very aware of helmet turbulence and it's effects.
>70 MPG / 280 per tank@£11 per fill.
29hp in this day and age is remarkably similar to the 29hp of previous days.
Only real problem is the seat height ... it's for shortarses. Good seat raising kits available, personally i have a swimming float cut to fit and gaffer taped on top for long rides ....
Excellent forum ... but very dry humour abounds .... http://www.royalenfieldowners.com/index.php?whats-new/posts/48161/
You left out the word "helmet" in your reference to turbulence. My psychic powers are not what they were. I see what you mean about the secondary mudguard, having looked at some reviews. You might like to try one of these. This is a genuine Xcreen, though cheaper versions are available on Amazon now. Surprisingly good for turbulence reduction/elimination. This is a clamp on version. It has been on 2 bikes, has done about 18,000 miles so far.

70mpg is respectable. 280 miles per tank is useful.
29hp in this day and age is remarkably dissimilar to the 24.3hp quoted on Royal Enfield's website! Doubt if it makes any difference in real life, as your experience is that it rides well.
My definition as an actual practicing shortarse might be a bit different from your view from your lofty vantage point. You like the seat higher, I prefer it lower. For me, 800mm/31.5 inches gets a bit marginal once I get a few winter layers and a set of waterproofs on! Still, the only thing to do is find one and try it for size. It is still a low seat for this style of bike, especially with the excellent ground clearance.
I will look at the RE forum you mentioned for more information.

Landsurfer

Veteran
You left out the word "helmet" in your reference to turbulence. My psychic powers are not what they were. I see what you mean about the secondary mudguard, having looked at some reviews. You might like to try one of these. This is a genuine Xcreen, though cheaper versions are available on Amazon now. Surprisingly good for turbulence reduction/elimination. This is a clamp on version. It has been on 2 bikes, has done about 18,000 miles so far.
View attachment 523275
70mpg is respectable. 280 miles per tank is useful.
29hp in this day and age is remarkably dissimilar to the 24.3hp quoted on Royal Enfield's website! Doubt if it makes any difference in real life, as your experience is that it rides well.
My definition as an actual practicing shortarse might be a bit different from your view from your lofty vantage point. You like the seat higher, I prefer it lower. For me, 800mm/31.5 inches gets a bit marginal once I get a few winter layers and a set of waterproofs on! Still, the only thing to do is find one and try it for size. It is still a low seat for this style of bike, especially with the excellent ground clearance.
I will look at the RE forum you mentioned for more information.

Quite a few riders remove the screen completely and report 0 turbulence ... with out noticing the screen angle is adjustable ....

Gunk

Guru
Quite a few riders remove the screen completely and report 0 turbulence ... with out noticing the screen angle is adjustable ....

I think on some bikes it is the screen which causes the problem, I wear a Schuberth R2 and my Fireblade has the original screen and I don’t suffer any high speed buffering. Years ago I had a BMW F800ST which I bought for a longer trip and that had an odd set up with a very tall aftermarket screen with an additional adjustable wind blade thingy and with my Previous Arai Axces it was awful, really noisy, I ditched the screen, replaced with a used original and no buffeting.

Top Bottom