Motorbike and scooter owners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

I'm gonna do a service today on my XSR9 and booked in tomorrow for a front tyre. Cant get my usual Pirelli Diablo Strada, so its going to be a Pirelli Angel ST, 20 sovs more over the Strada and i've not used these before. Reviews look ok though.
Tyres are a strange thing, both a friend & myself had Fireblades, his was a 1995 RR? mine was a 1998 RRW, he swore by Bridgestones which I couldn't get on with & much preferred having Dunlops on mine.

Smudge

Veteran
Tyres are a strange thing, both a friend & myself had Fireblades, his was a 1995 RR? mine was a 1998 RRW, he swore by Bridgestones which I couldn't get on with & much preferred having Dunlops on mine.

Saw a deal on HUKD's this week for Bridgestone Battlax BT015 for £99 a pair, front & rear. Cracking deal but too sticky for me, i doubt i'd get 2K out of a rear with them.
Sport touring rubber is good enough for me.

Gunk

Guru

I always used to use Pirelli Diablos, but I’m still running the original 16” front wheel on my 1993 Blade so these days tyre choice is more limited, however Metzeler still produce a set with 17” rear and 16” front. They seem as good as the old Pirelli’s.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I'm gonna do a service today on my XSR9 and booked in tomorrow for a front tyre. Cant get my usual Pirelli Diablo Strada, so its going to be a Pirelli Angel ST, 20 sovs more over the Strada and i've not used these before. Reviews look ok though.
The Angel ST replaced the Diablo Strada some 10 or so years ago. Even if you could find some Stradas they would have been manufactured a long time ago so I would give them a swerve purely on that basis.

Smudge

Veteran
The Angel ST replaced the Diablo Strada some 10 or so years ago. Even if you could find some Stradas they would have been manufactured a long time ago so I would give them a swerve purely on that basis.

I was still getting Stradas last year and they were year 18 on the tyre, so they must have still being made in 18.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Old "New" tyres are no bother provided they have been stored indoors and out of the Sun's UV rays, they will still be as good as new. I had a 15 year old Astra with the original spare still in the boot and when it went on it went the full distance.

D

Deleted member 26715

Lad went to ride out on the BMW but the battery was flat although it had been on the Oxford charger unless it wasn't plugged in properly, so he got the jump leads out, but now on trying to start it the alarm sounds. We ended up taking the starter motor off & with it on the floor we can get it to spin using all the bikes existing wiring (extended) but it we put it back in the bike the alarm sounds.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The Lex comes with a supplementary kick start. The last bike I had to use my foot to start was a DT175 a very long time ago. I still can't get a glove on and it may be the end of next week before I can, so today I wheeled it out of the garage and ran it for five minutes. I even drove it half a dozen yards in first gear!

My biggest worry? I never wear a helmet on a bicycle and at one point while I sat on it pretending to be Valentino Rossi I was tempted to ride it down to the end of my cul de sac and back. On a warm day the thought that I had to wear a lid didn't even occur to me, so if the down the road had turned into a round the block it would have been the one time I was guaranteed to meet plod.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Well we checked the weather, checked it again and set off at 0430hrs this morning for Bridlington on the mighty Royal Enfield Himalayan 400 ..... The rain started just north of Donnie and continued ... and continued ...... The decision was made at Driffield to return home via York ... but sprits where high ... a stop at Selby for a hot sausage roll and return via the A19 / M18 saw us home for 0830hrs .. soaked, but full of laughter... and puddles in our boots ..... And yes! we believed the weather forecast and we are wearing jeans !!!

Social Distancing was maintained at all times. The ride was an essential journey for the continuing positive mental health of our family ... No Llamas where injured during the ride ..!:laugh::rolleyes:😄

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
I decided to sort out the tool kit for my 1993 Fireblade this morning, the previous owner included a brand new tool bag and A mixture of original and brand new replacement Honda tools (it was almost a shame to open the bags!) but they were all loose in a cardboard box. I managed to find a diagram of what should be included.

One advantage these old 1990’s sports bikes have is some proper under seat storage. Next job is a service although it’s done very few miles, an oil and filter would do it any harm.

Landsurfer

Veteran
The Beach .... 2nd attempt ....Total Mission Success .... stunning weather, lovely beach at Hornsea.
Set off at 0630hrs and had the Humber bridge crossing to ourselves.
Stopped briefly at Withernsea beach then up to Hornsea and some breakfast in one of the many cafe's open for business in the town.
Accompanied by my grandson as usual, please note the packed carpark at Mappleton beach ..... ^_^

Attachments

• hJ0B80NAQtKK+EoFz%GDaQ.jpg
    hJ0B80NAQtKK+EoFz%GDaQ.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 2
  • MXHFTzs+TEOFNzND7oCm4A.jpg
    MXHFTzs+TEOFNzND7oCm4A.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 2
  • tJLPSh6qTDSbiZ3UFAoabg.jpg
    tJLPSh6qTDSbiZ3UFAoabg.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 3
  • WwG87ARERU+H1iVxMA7Ofg.jpg
    WwG87ARERU+H1iVxMA7Ofg.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Exactly two weeks after taking delivery I finally got to ride my Lex today. The finger is still bandaged and I couldn't get a glove on, but I can bend it now. I'm not too keen on riding either motor or pedal cycles without gloves but my urge to get going had to be satisfied, so I set off for a five mile jaunt round the local lanes, clad head to toe in safety gear, comprising of T shirt and shorts and an open face helmet. Too bloody hot for anything else.

It is too early to give anymore than a brief impression of the bike, especially as I was riding like a nervous CBT candidate after a long break, but soon the old feeling started to return and I got better. Seems a nice bike so far, lovely riding position and everything worked as it should. One dislike is having the sidestand down prevents the engine from starting, it took me three attempts on the button before I twigged that one. I know it is a good safety feature but on previous bikes I had they ran ok while in neutral and only cut out if you put it into gear. Easy thing to get used to though so just a minor niggle at the moment and better than setting off with the stand down. Like anyone would do a thing like that :whistle:

Some time in the week I'll give it a longer shakedown but I'm glad to be back on a motorcycle again, even just a 125. I've got plenty of coastal B roads to cruise within a spit of my house and that is the main purpose of getting back on a PTW.

All in all, not a bad day (Apart from starting a week of putting antibiotics down my gob as the finger has a slight infection:sad:)

Top Bottom