Motorbike and scooter owners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
So far so good with mine, I'm happy with it. The 125 is the smallest capacity bike I've owned, but what has surprised me is how physically big 125s are compared to thirty or forty years ago. They looked like real tiddlers back then, but if I told someone who didn't know that mine was a 500 it would be believable.

The weight has also gone up, back in the early eighties I had a DT175 as a commuter and it weighed about 85kg. My Isca is considered as one of the lighter 125s by the road testers, yet it comes in at 130kg. Mind you, the DT was kick start only with a simple carburetor and only very basic six volt electrics which kept the pounds off.

@Smokin Joe has got me going again on the small capacity thing.:wacko:

Does anybody gave any experience of the Honda Grom MSX125?
Bit late to the game, sorry.

I had one and loved it. Awesome fun as a town bike and did some 70-90 mile day rides. Just have to accept that its a slow bike and bimbling is fun.

Gunk

Guru
Up early this morning to meet some friends in Cirencester, 80 miles round trip which is about enough for my ageing wrists.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've met Allen Millyard. A genius - he mends nuclear reactors for a living - but definitely on the spectrum.

Chatting to Mrs D today, I think once the freshly rebuilt head is back on the Fizzer I may sell the V-Max. I'm doing 5 or 600 miles a year, so it's hardly worth the effort and expense.

MarkF

Guru
I've met Allen Millyard. A genius - he mends nuclear reactors for a living - but definitely on the spectrum.

Chatting to Mrs D today, I think once the freshly rebuilt head is back on the Fizzer I may sell the V-Max. I'm doing 5 or 600 miles a year, so it's hardly worth the effort and expense.

I has a KH250 in 1979 and it was pile of cack, that started 40 years of buying good looking but fragile/useless things.

I'd keep the VMax, it's yours and you own an iconic machine and really, how much per year does it cost to have it there for you for whenever? I last rode my 62 Vespa about 16 months ago but I won't sell it.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I has a KH250 in 1979 and it was pile of cack, that started 40 years of buying good looking but fragile/useless things.

I'd keep the VMax, it's yours and you own an iconic machine and really, how much per year does it cost to have it there for you for whenever? I last rode my 62 Vespa about 16 months ago but I won't sell it.
the ones with electronic ignition were better but the ones with 3 sets of points were a devil to keep running 'right' plus if you caned em from cold (and who didn't) they'd partially seize the centre cylinder easily knackering the rings.

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
KH250s were fantastic bikes. Not as quick as an RD maybe, but actually better made imho, plus you didn't get that sound track on the Yams.

Right, after months being at the scooter place, the Lambretta is back. Sounds much better, rides much better. Rebore, new piston, new Scootopia carb and quite a few other things. Going well yesterday, but seems to be running slightly rich and conked out on me. Started again a few minutes later and seemed ok, possibly some fuel related thing.

1598907554891.png

Short spin on the chop yesterday, too. Oh what fun it is on corners. Said nobody, ever.

1598907612309.png

Came home, got bored, went out on the X7. Some youth on a modern 125 tried to serve me at the lights, so relived my youth and used a bit of throttle to teach the cheeky whippersnapper a lesson.

1598907868018.png

Down at the river was this little cracker

1598907898712.png

Oh, can't remember where I'm up to on this thread, but sort of 'accidentally' acquired two and a bit GT380s recently as projects.

Ps: if anyone is selling an FS1E (pedal type, ideally) at a not stupid (i.e £6,000) price, please let me know.

MarkF

Guru
the ones with electronic ignition were better but the ones with 3 sets of points were a devil to keep running 'right' plus if you caned em from cold (and who didn't) they'd partially seize the centre cylinder easily knackering the rings.

Yes, I ran it on 2 cylinders for a while before leaving home and dumping the bike at the bottom of my parents garage.

Top Bottom