Motorbike and scooter owners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
The Himalayan dressed up for another trip from Rotherham to Dartford ...... note the swimming float seat pad ...

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
IMG_20201204_151309596.jpg

My Xmax 400 at its new home from home, the bike shelter at work, on Friday. I got that rather expensive bit of paper on Thursday that means I am now fully legal to ride the big blue beast. It was rather a long wait after (finally) passing the Mod 1 on February 28 (and the first fail on this bike was back in May 2019…) to get a Mod 2. In the brief window between lockdowns one and two, pretty much all the test slots were taken up by rearranged ones, and I wouldn't have been comfortable using my key worker status given I already had A1 auto. This thing will only knock about thirty seconds off my commute time, roadworks permitting (though a couple of minutes when the M27 is finally fully open again). I could wait.

In the middle of last week, the office guy at my training school gives me a call. Could I do next Thursday, 9.07 at the Poole centre (no slots at the local one)? Hell yeah. So, up at five, met at home by instructor Henry at six, off into the pouring rain. Stop for a cup of tea at the Millbrook (Southampton) training area, then down to Poole. Despite blustery conditions and a torrential downpour, the blue Max is utterly composed at 60-70 mph all the way down the A31. I look through that big screen (it's not just a high screen, it's a really high screen) and can have the visor up (one lot of water to peer through instead of screen plus visor) without discomfort or too much noise. Into the Poole centre, despite a couple of nav errors (one each by me and Henry), in plenty of time for the test. Then off into the rain, again, with friendly examiner. 45 minutes or so later, back and I get the good news (pass, five minors). L-plates off, with one going with Henry for his colleague Deano (who's been with me for most of the attempts and wanted a trophy). Back up the A31, then its first motorway run on the M27, Henry turning off for home. Back at 11.30 to dry off a bit before going to work, on the PCX this time.

Did about 180 miles Thursday-Friday-Saturday. Trip computer reckons 65 mpg, but ten litres filled the tank, which puts it at more like 80 mpg if correct. Will check that mileage more carefully at next fill-up… Despite the weight (awkward to push about and at low speed), still very happy with my (enforced) choice. Goes like stink- I was slightly concerned about going too quickly on the Mod 2, 30 mph is reached very quickly, acceleration at higher speeds pretty effortless. Very planted and stable on the (rather grotty due to roadworks) M27. Brakes are superb, back alone enough up to 30 or so. Front lights OK but not as good as the PCX, rear lights superb. Massive underseat storage. Seat comfy. Would be great for touring on. And the choices for next bike are interesting and will only broaden. Tmax, whatever Yamaha replaces this one with, the BMW 400s, Honda DCT 750cc bikes (with restrictors)…

Landsurfer

Veteran
View attachment 562044
My Xmax 400 at its new home from home, the bike shelter at work, on Friday. I got that rather expensive bit of paper on Thursday that means I am now fully legal to ride the big blue beast. It was rather a long wait after (finally) passing the Mod 1 on February 28 (and the first fail on this bike was back in May 2019…) to get a Mod 2. In the brief window between lockdowns one and two, pretty much all the test slots were taken up by rearranged ones, and I wouldn't have been comfortable using my key worker status given I already had A1 auto. This thing will only knock about thirty seconds off my commute time, roadworks permitting (though a couple of minutes when the M27 is finally fully open again). I could wait.

In the middle of last week, the office guy at my training school gives me a call. Could I do next Thursday, 9.07 at the Poole centre (no slots at the local one)? Hell yeah. So, up at five, met at home by instructor Henry at six, off into the pouring rain. Stop for a cup of tea at the Millbrook (Southampton) training area, then down to Poole. Despite blustery conditions and a torrential downpour, the blue Max is utterly composed at 60-70 mph all the way down the A31. I look through that big screen (it's not just a high screen, it's a really high screen) and can have the visor up (one lot of water to peer through instead of screen plus visor) without discomfort or too much noise. Into the Poole centre, despite a couple of nav errors (one each by me and Henry), in plenty of time for the test. Then off into the rain, again, with friendly examiner. 45 minutes or so later, back and I get the good news (pass, five minors). L-plates off, with one going with Henry for his colleague Deano (who's been with me for most of the attempts and wanted a trophy). Back up the A31, then its first motorway run on the M27, Henry turning off for home. Back at 11.30 to dry off a bit before going to work, on the PCX this time.

Did about 180 miles Thursday-Friday-Saturday. Trip computer reckons 65 mpg, but ten litres filled the tank, which puts it at more like 80 mpg if correct. Will check that mileage more carefully at next fill-up… Despite the weight (awkward to push about and at low speed), still very happy with my (enforced) choice. Goes like stink- I was slightly concerned about going too quickly on the Mod 2, 30 mph is reached very quickly, acceleration at higher speeds pretty effortless. Very planted and stable on the (rather grotty due to roadworks) M27. Brakes are superb, back alone enough up to 30 or so. Front lights OK but not as good as the PCX, rear lights superb. Massive underseat storage. Seat comfy. Would be great for touring on. And the choices for next bike are interesting and will only broaden. Tmax, whatever Yamaha replaces this one with, the BMW 400s, Honda DCT 750cc bikes (with restrictors)…
Welcome to the fold ....

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
Got this a week or two ago...

1607715838758.png

...it's a Scomadi TL125. I've got the 200 version (love it, brilliant scooter) which would have been in this colour (atomic orange) if I'd had the choice at the time. Actually bought the 125 because it was languishing in the garage where I got the 200 MOT'd. It wasn't the only scooter there and it wasn't the only scooter I bought too...

1607716107241.png

That's an Italjet Velocifero 50, it would appear the claim to fame of these things is that Oasis were photographed sitting on some 'back in the day'. It's a non-runner, been sat quite a long while but might attempt to fire it up one day.

Got the Derbi GPR on the road recently, it decided not to run after the MOT but it's going again now.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Xmax update. Second week of commuting with it (did three days on it, two on the PCX) again achieved 80 mpg (clearly economy is very good indeed when sitting at 50 mph for long stretches). Found the goldilocks riding position again, so right turns and pulling away are much neater and tidier than the day of the test. Just like a big PCX, really…now done 1,000 miles since I got her. Next thousand will be coming up much quicker!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Another old stroker arrived today, well actually three and a bit. This was what I really wanted out of them all though...

View attachment 567559

..one of the others was this...

View attachment 567560
Ooh a bloop.

Rockster57

Currently bikeless but still look at the adverts. Want something easy to live with, fairly light and practical, something light a Hornet but sexier.

BSA Bantam
Kawasaki KMX125
Honda Transalp
Honda CBR600
Moto Guzzi 850T
Ducati 750SS
Honda Fireblade 918
Honda RVF400 NC35
Honda Fireblade 929
BMW F650
Ducati Monster 900
Ducati Monster 900 i
Honda Fireblade 954
Honda Hornet 600
BMW R1150 Rockster
Buel XB12S Lightning

The 929 Fireblade is the one I miss the most, it was ‘my’ bike, sort of bonded with it.

Good to see another "Rockster" ex-owner here. I bought mine from a journalist of a motorcycle magazine. He gave me a copy of the magazine which featured a road test of the actual bike he was selling. During my 7 years of ownership I visited the Isle of Man for the TT races several times and toured all over England, Scotland and Europe. Eventually I lured myself into selling it by the temptation of a brand new R1200RT. I had a couple of those then most recently a R1250RT. Extremely capable and comfortable bikes but I so regret selling the Rockster! Lovely bike!

Previous bikes:-
Yamaha FS1-E 1973
Triumph T120 Bonneville 1967
Honda CB550F 1977
Honda C90
Honda CG125
Honda CD175
Honda XL185SB 1981 (Bought 1985 and still owned)
Honda CD200 Benly
Honda CBR1000F 1992
Yamaha TDR250 1988
Yamaha TTR250 2004
Yamaha TTR250 2005 (Still owned)
BMW R1150R Rockster 2003
Yamaha YP250R X-Max 2011
Yamaha YP250R X-Max 2014 (Still owned)
Beta Evo 250
BMW R1200RT 2017
BMW R1200RT 2019
BMW R1250RT 2020

Last edited:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
The greatest bike I ever owned bought new 05 Ural sidecar. Ugly, slow but utterly reliable, Warsaw green and carried my world round Europe and UK. Loads of rallies and I pretty much lived on it. Not everyone's cup of tea but best bikes ever for me. Regretted selling it immediately and if I ever got another vehicle that wasn't a bike I'd want my old one back.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The greatest bike I ever owned bought new 05 Ural sidecar. Ugly, slow but utterly reliable, Warsaw green and carried my world round Europe and UK. Loads of rallies and I pretty much lived on it. Not everyone's cup of tea but best bikes ever for me. Regretted selling it immediately and if I ever got another vehicle that wasn't a bike I'd want my old one back.
I remember the adverts for them back in the seventies. "A superbike it isn't", ran the banner. I believe they came with a toolkit extensive enough for a full strip down, though to be fair they weren't actually at the cutting edge of technology being based on pre war BMWs.

A workmate was seriously considering one, but bought a 125 Honda instead. Probably a wise decision as his daily commute was from Benfleet to North Woolwich.

Top Bottom