Motorbike and scooter owners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Good to see another "Rockster" ex-owner here. I bought mine from a journalist of a motorcycle magazine. He gave me a copy of the magazine which featured a road test of the actual bike he was selling. During my 7 years of ownership I visited the Isle of Man for the TT races several times and toured all over England, Scotland and Europe. Eventually I lured myself into selling it by the temptation of a brand new R1200RT. I had a couple of those then most recently a R1250RT. Extremely capable and comfortable bikes but I so regret selling the Rockster! Lovely bike!

Previous bikes:-
Yamaha FS1-E 1973
Triumph T120 Bonneville 1967
Honda CB550F 1977
Honda C90
Honda CG125
Honda CD175
Honda XL185SB 1981 (Bought 1985 and still owned)
Honda CD200 Benly
Honda CBR1000F 1992
Yamaha TDR250 1988
Yamaha TTR250 2004
Yamaha TTR250 2005 (Still owned)
BMW R1150R Rockster 2003
Yamaha YP250R X-Max 2011
Yamaha YP250R X-Max 2014 (Still owned)
BMW R1200RT 2017
BMW R1200RT 2019
BMW R1250RT 2020
Nice list! Do not go anywhere near a 2017-on Xmax 300 or 400 unless you intend to buy it. A really big improvement on the previous gen one in every way ;)

Rockster57

Nice list! Do not go anywhere near a 2017-on Xmax 300 or 400 unless you intend to buy it. A really big improvement on the previous gen one in every way ;)
Haha, I clocked your Xmax earlier when i was catching up on this thread Stu. I have to say I love my 250. It's pristine after all the work I put into it during Lockdown #1. That said, it's likely to be sold in due course as I'm hankering after something to replace the R1250RT. I'd love another scooter and thought about the Xmax 400 and the Tmax 560. Whilst I love the convenience of scooters, the downside for me is the lack of ability to fit panniers for touring. I have seen a Burgman equipped with panniers but if I go for another scooter, I'd prefer to stick with Yamaha. I just prefer the way they look.

Had sports bikes through the '80's and '90's but just bum around on the old 'un's now.

The VFR is mine and the SV is my Lads.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Haha, I clocked your Xmax earlier when i was catching up on this thread Stu. I have to say I love my 250. It's pristine after all the work I put into it during Lockdown #1. That said, it's likely to be sold in due course as I'm hankering after something to replace the R1250RT. I'd love another scooter and thought about the Xmax 400 and the Tmax 560. Whilst I love the convenience of scooters, the downside for me is the lack of ability to fit panniers for touring. I have seen a Burgman equipped with panniers but if I go for another scooter, I'd prefer to stick with Yamaha. I just prefer the way they look.
I can't see myself needing more than 93 litres (underseat plus Yam top box), but, yes, shame no-one's ever thought panniers might be handy as well. I definitely don't want to try a Tmax as I don't have the urgent need to spend ten grand on a bike, but I think I would…! Hoping for whatever replaces the 400 in Yamaha's line-up (400 is no more for 2021 because of Euro5, I can't see them leaving that gaping hole between 300 and Tmax) to be a real step forward…but in the meantime I'm happy. And I'd agree, Yams are top of the scooter pile at the mo. Burgmans just look frumpy and aged to me, good bikes but…BMW £££££ and underseat storage is a bit weak, Honda's Forza line are strong though- 125 & 350 are pretty on par with the Xmaxes.

Rockster57

The R1250RT - went in December.
IMG_2642.JPG

One of my two current projects - giving the XL a bit of a refresh.
IMG_3349.JPG

The '04 TTR250 being treated to a tank and seat off clean.
IMG_7778.JPG

My grandchildren trying the Xmax for size!
IMG_8542.JPG

This one belonged to my son. Exotic machine in exotic location.
IMG_0396.JPG

Spoiler alert! No actual work being done here. Pure pose for posterity
IMG_6346.JPG

Rockster57

I can't see myself needing more than 93 litres (underseat plus Yam top box), but, yes, shame no-one's ever thought panniers might be handy as well. I definitely don't want to try a Tmax as I don't have the urgent need to spend ten grand on a bike, but I think I would…! Hoping for whatever replaces the 400 in Yamaha's line-up (400 is no more for 2021 because of Euro5, I can't see them leaving that gaping hole between 300 and Tmax) to be a real step forward…but in the meantime I'm happy. And I'd agree, Yams are top of the scooter pile at the mo. Burgmans just look frumpy and aged to me, good bikes but…BMW £££££ and underseat storage is a bit weak, Honda's Forza line are strong though- 125 & 350 are pretty on par with the Xmaxes.

You're right Stu, the TMax is an eyewatering price. The Tech Max version is almost £12k!

I agree with you regarding the frumpy looks of the Burgman. I have more than enough frumpiness without my scoot adding to it! Lol. The 350 Forza is a nice looking machine. And so too is it's bigger 750 sibling, which incidentally does have a pannier option and outstanding fuel consumption. It also has DCT which I rather like the idea of.

I need to stop dreaming (and rambling on) now. So many other things to sort before I can seriously start contemplating my next bike.

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
The R1250RT - went in December.
View attachment 567644

One of my two current projects - giving the XL a bit of a refresh.
View attachment 567645

The '04 TTR250 being treated to a tank and seat off clean.
View attachment 567646

My grandchildren trying the Xmax for size!
View attachment 567647

This one belonged to my son. Exotic machine in exotic location. View attachment 567650

Spoiler alert! No actual work being done here. Pure pose for posterity
View attachment 567649

Love the XL, keep eying them up and need to get one before the prices go out of reach. What's yours, a 185?

It's the later one, FS1M. I'd love an 'E' or 'SS' (ideally with pedals), but they're ridiculous money now.
I know, seen early Fizzie's up for 5K!

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
I know, seen early Fizzie's up for 5K!

There's been a couple on eBay for around £9,000! Doubt they're going to sell anytime soon, it's a (very) inflated market not helped by stupidly priced bikes. There's another fella on eBay who seems to have spent the last 58 years trying to hawk 'investment grade' bikes for daft money, and he has a few FS1Es.

Even the 'M' ones are creeping up now, though I suspect it's either chancers or people who think all FS1 models are the same. I love mine, never ever fails to bring a smile to my face when riding it.

Started on a Kawasaki AR50, then Honda NSR 250, various Kawasaki zx6r’s and 636’s, Suzuki GSXR 750 K7, back to Kawasaki zx10r before slowing down with Triumph tiger sports. Had a few Speed Triples and love them. Can’t see me ever parting with ‘Mavis’ below despite been away and riding little each year. Eventually she will end up in Kitchen dinner as a piece of modern art 😁 Wife says not though 🥺
F9ED8B32-3F0B-42F4-8D30-0E06B2540BD9.jpeg

Gunk

Guru
Started on a Kawasaki AR50, then Honda NSR 250, various Kawasaki zx6r’s and 636’s, Suzuki GSXR 750 K7, back to Kawasaki zx10r before slowing down with Triumph tiger sports. Had a few Speed Triples and love them. Can’t see me ever parting with ‘Mavis’ below despite been away and riding little each year. Eventually she will end up in Kitchen dinner as a piece of modern art 😁 Wife says not though 🥺
View attachment 567921

I used to have the smaller version. 675 Street triple, great bike.

Top Bottom