Motorbike and scooter owners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Me
What tyres do you use?, we mainly fit Bridgestone S22's to the RR's and XR's.

Metzeler M7’s

Landsurfer

Veteran
Off to Belfast .....
Sunday morning 5am, bike packed up the night before, set off along the M18 / A1 north bound. Warm, but cool air full of moisture and the smells of early morning, sat around 65 mph ... no rush, 15.30hrs ferry from Cairnryan, breakfast planned for the Rooster in Penrith. Filled up at Scotch Corner then off along the A66 to Penrith.
Got to Penrith a lot earlier than planned to find the cafe closed ....
Got to Carlisle a lot earlier than planned to top up fuel ....

_075815.thumb.jpg.5e8372a8389521514ea6c4a46c6afdec.jpg

Realised that even with my gentle progress i was going to arrive at Cairnryan just after 10.00hrs !
THE 11.30HRS FERRY ...
Arrived at Cairnryan, went to check-in, explained i was early , the nice people at Stena sent me through onto the ferry ... result.
Off at Belfast. Ride 30 miles to sisters. Drink beer and eat food with her and her husband Steve. Bed for midnight.
2 meetings with railway companies on Monday morning then Janet and I went down the Ards peninsula to a small beach just south of Cloughy and spent the afternoon swimming. Home, beer, food, bed. Lovely day.

5am Monday.
Ride to the ferry port in Belfast ... empty roads and soft warmth.

_061036.thumb.jpg.8eb06b6f4d1b71962360935458c76e3e.jpg

_061259.thumb.jpg.c57258636912e64b7eed5692be291a0a.jpg

8 other bikers on the return trip, including 2, 12 year old pillions, off with their dads touring around Scotland for a few days.
We pushed some tables together in the ships cafe and all had breakfast together chatting, sleeping and marvelling at people walking around the outer decks of a ship in the middle of the North Channel wearing masks ... must have been anti- mackerel masks we decided.

The ride home was hot, sweaty and uncomfortable .... 32 deg c air temp, engine temp steady between 39- 41 deg c, usually 24 - 26 deg. Glad to get home strip off kit and jump in shower ...

611 miles of motorcycling pleasure .... made a change from getting rained on ...

Last edited:

Landsurfer

Veteran
Great report, but I’m baffled by this.
There are 2 temp sensors on my bike .. the one in my phone which i also use for NAV and the factory fitted one in the cylinder head ... my NAV shows corrected outside air temperature the other actual cylinder head temp.
I got hot .... the cylinder was hot ... both hotter than usual ...

keithmac

Guru
Proud dad moment, my lad taking an engine out as part of his new Saturday job 👏.
20210724_134028.jpg

keithmac

Guru
My son used to help me when he was younger, sadly the interest didn’t last.

View attachment 600952

I'm going to see how he gets on, already said if he doesn't want to do it as a job when he gets older that's fair enough and to do what he enjoys.

Seems to be liking it at the moment though so happy days.

If I can teach him how an engine works, maybe show him some diagnostic work on recent bikes, how to tune a carb etc it'll stand him in good stead for future hopefully.

Well my R6 commuting days are over.

exyANIk.png

geuAwS3.png

A taxi decided that red lights did not apply to "professional" drivers. I guess I was lucky, last year a guy was killed in the same circumstances.
THis insurance have accepted liability and I have been paid out for the bike already. As I really like the 90's stuff, I invested in a gsxr 600. I have had a few of the 750's, but my boss was selling this at a decent price.

nSCOHVK.jpg

I was fortunate to get an all expenses paid lift to the hospital. I am still waiting for scans, but it looks like I have torn my ACL, but if that is the worst injury, I have got away lightly!

keithmac

Guru
One of our customers had a low speed impact (he got T boned by a car pulling out of a side street).

Poor lad lost his leg, the bike didn't look that bad considering the outcome.

He still comes in for a chat, passed his driving test with a false leg, all credit to him.

Only takes a moment of distraction to ruin someone else's life, quite sobering really.

On two wheels (motored and unmotored) in the last 10 years I have sustained a tear in my aorta, a broken neck and now this. All because of a moments inattention or stupidity by motorists. They can happily get on with their lives, with slightly increased insurance premiums, while I have life changing injuries.
But I have been lucky, I am still here and one of my friends isn't, a guy pulled out in front of him and he was killed after his leg was severed by the edge of the fibreglass fairing. The guy pulling out said he was blinded by the sun and could not see. So maybe do not pull out then?
The guy that ran my local motorbike shop was involved in a head on collision after a young lad went around a corner on the wrong side of the road, going too fast. He had to have CPR at the road side and has had to sell his business because of the injuries sustained. The driver said it was the riders fault, he was intimidated by the motorbike on the other side of the road and that made him lose control!
But anyone that rides bikes have stories like this and the people say it is bikes that are dangerous. It is drivers that are the problem!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Yup. Every single night on the commute home I see vehicles with head or tail or both lights off. A speeding driver swerving around lanes nearly wiped me out Thursday night, then an artic driver threw a strop because I waited at a roundabout because an extremely slow cyclist was making his way round (an idiot, but I didn't need to endanger him). Tailgating, failure to signal on roundabouts, racing up to red lights…but remember folks, you're the dangerous ones. My YBR died in a SMIDSY, I got away with a bruised foot. There's a reason why Mod 1 & Mod 2 are so tough…

Top Bottom