Motorbike and scooter owners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
I owned an F800ST years ago as a second bike and that was very similar to the Honda NC750, soulless but a very easy to live with and effective bike. It actually handled very well, just a bit boring.

keithmac

Guru
The time may have come for a change of bike, after 6 years. Currently have a 2002 Honda VFR VTec, worth not a lot, probably about £1400 as a trade in.

The cost of fuel has led me to look for something a bit frugal, and the Honda NC750 seems to fit the bill. It is supposed to be good for almost 80 mpg..

I have watched a few YouTube reviews and I am quite impressed. OK, it doesn't have the performance of the VFR, but I am getting older and sensible (ish). I've never owned or even ridden a twin cylinder before.

Another plus is that maintenance looks simple in comparison to the VFR.. @keithmac will know about that?

There is one for sale at a Honda dealer not too far away. I feel a visit is in order!

View attachment 634637

They aren't too bad to service, air filter is a bit of a pain to get to though.

Are you going for the Manual gearbox or the DCT Automatic?.

figbat

Slippery scientist
There are twins and there are twins. My first experience of a twin was a go on a friend’s Ducati 848 Panigale. That was quite an experience but it wasn’t just the engine, it was the whole race-focused package. Nice for a go, wouldn’t want one.

Then I bought a KTM 990 SMT which turned out to be the wrong bike for me - mostly because of the engine, which was so torquey but also so eager to go that it was difficult to ride it lazily.

My current bike is a F900XR - still a twin but a parallel rather than V and it couldn’t be more different - still torquey but so much smoother and easier to ride under all conditions.

keithmac

Guru
Ducatis are lovely until you have to work on them and the shine soon wears off.

They have some interesting ideas I'll give them that much..

Gunk

Guru
My current bike is a F900XR - still a twin but a parallel rather than V and it couldn’t be more different - still torquey but so much smoother and easier to ride under all conditions.

One of my mates has one, he loves it. Modern day F800ST but with a chain

keithmac

Guru
Thanks.
It's the manual version.

I've worked on a few, just normal services etc. As you know Honda's are nigh on bullet proof!

Had one with intermittent crank but no start, turned out to be a faulty roll over / tip over sensor but that's a one off.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I've worked on a few, just normal services etc. As you know Honda's are nigh on bullet proof!

Had one with intermittent crank but no start, turned out to be a faulty roll over / tip over sensor but that's a one off.
The decision has been taken out of my hands; the bike I was considering has been sold :ohmy:. I think with the rising petrol prices, they are going to be popular, and priced accordingly. The salesman told me I was about the 9th enquiry about that bike since it was sold a few days ago. They have another one in stock but it's a 2020 model and priced at £6500. Out of my budget :rolleyes:.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I sold my Moto Guzzi Breva at the end of last year as it rarely got used. If Jannie and |I wanted to go on a trip we jumped on the Honda 125 Innova. It was so much easier for us. We even went 2 up camping in Germany like that. I missed having a bigger bike in the shed and started looking, as you do. I quite fancied a Royal Enfield Himalayan. But we do not need a 400cc bike and after some research, I learnt they are very heavy for a 400. I did a bit more thinking and came to the decision that a 250 cc would do us. I then saw an ad for a Suzuki GW 250 Inazuma from 2016 with 4000km on the clock. Yes..I had never heard of one either. The seller is a professional car sprayer and has changed a lot of the parts to black which is nice. I did my research and that came out well. The bike looks even better in the flesh and the seller is the original buyer . It even looks like a full size bike. So the deal was done and insurance is £140 a year including Europe wide breakdown including repatriation for bike, rider and passenger. I am currently sorting out some luggage and a screen. That INAZUMA sticker will be coming off. We are looking forward to some little trips in the summer at a leisurely pace. ^_^

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
Love the look of that, Steve. Sort of between 'real' classic looks and the kind of modern interpretation of a classic look. I bet that's lovely to ride and the ideal bike for bumbling round on.

a.twiddler

Veteran
A very neat little bike. If only there was a bigger market for such functional smaller capacity bikes in the UK and Europe. Even bikes like the Innova are quite capable of much more than the average owner might believe. Maybe tank capacity is the main limiting factor there.
The UK learner laws have rather strangled the market for bikes in the region between 125 and about 600cc.

Top Bottom