Motorbike and scooter owners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
V-Stroms have a position past the handlebar lock called: Parking Lights, I’m guessing this is what caused the flat battery.

My triumph has this frankly
moronic feature too. As did a loaner suzi from the menders. I have never ever needed the feature but used it 3 times - which was extremely annoying

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I can't see the point either- on the Xmax it's past the steering lock position, so I presume the lock will still be on. Not much good if you need to move the bike with hazards on.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Rained overnight but forecast for glorious sunshine. Told work on Wednesday I would be late in Thursday .... So that will be Friday then ..!
251 Miles of fun and games ...
M18 / A1 to Wetherby then the loop as shown;

It was bitterly cold ... but how could anyone complain ;
However the SPAR at Grassington has great hot chocolate ...

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
I was out yesterday morning but only did about 100 miles, it was cold, it’ll be the last ride of the season wearing two piece leathers, time for my winter textiles to be dusted off.

All the off road bikes I have had, you were able to remove the ignition key and leave the ignition on.
My R6 also had this feature, but I think that may have just been a dodgy ignition barrel, as it was also difficult to turn it on. A common thing for Yamaha ignition switches from that era according to my local bike shop.

Landsurfer

Veteran
I was out yesterday morning but only did about 100 miles, it was cold, it’ll be the last ride of the season wearing two piece leathers, time for my winter textiles to be dusted off.
The leathers where put away a month ago ....

keithmac

Guru
It's called "Park" position (the position after steering lock). Plenty of bikes have it.

It is possible the dashboard backlighting would have been lit but it's normally just front position light and rear tail light.

On a normal road bike ignition you shouldn't be able to remove key when on the "on" position.

A few weeks ago the 20 year old clutch cable on my gsxr snapped. I eventually got the AA to drop me off at home and ordered a new clutch cable. I fitted that today, but once it was all back together, the indicators on the left do not work at all, the bike is misfiring a low revs and the head lights are working intermittetly if I play around with the loom. I hate electrics grrrrr.

keithmac

Guru
Theres a big wiring connector (LHS I believe), near where the fairing upper meets the side panel.

Those are notorious for poor connecions, corrosion etc.

I've hard wired a fair few of those over the years.

Johnsop99

Veteran
Went to look at two bikes the other, nearly bought four, but ended up buying the two I hadn't gone to view instead. One (on the right) runs, or it did but now doesn't, the other one is a non-runner. The latter going to my ace mate to have the new wiring loom (supplied with it) fitted, the former I'll tinker with in the week. Thought I was being clever finding/making space for them, then remembered I've got three others away, two being repaired and one in for MOT. View attachment 613051

View attachment 613052
Just catching up with this thread. This brings back memories, my first real motorbike (after a Honda SS50 sports moped) was a 1968 G reg D14/4 in this same blue colour. Ignition timing kept slipping and it was a bit of a pig until the engine warmed up. I remember starting off from school one day going down the hill with a lot of other kids on pushbikes. Got to the bottom of the hill, there was a big bang and looked round and saw the baffle from the torpedo style exhaust lying on the road some 20 yards behind me. Luckily it somehow missed hitting the many cyclists behind me! Carrying a packet of fag papers to adjust the timing was an essential with that bike.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My triumph has this frankly
spastic feature too. As did a loaner suzi from the menders. I have never ever needed the feature but used it 3 times - which was extremely annoying
My Fazer had this as well. The same day I bought it, I had to phone the dealer and ask how I turn the lights off. They informed me that I'd turned the key "off" too far!

figbat

Slippery scientist
TBH I was surprised to find bikes that DIDN’T have this feature - I thought it was pretty standardised. My Yamaha Thundercat had it and I very rarely accidentally actuated it, but the KTM didn’t - as far as I could find - have any way of invoking parking lights. I believe my current BMW can have parking lights through some switch configuration.

keithmac

Guru
That's where it is. I just hate tracing the problem.

Invest in a good heat shrink crimp tool and some heat shrink crimps (white and red).

I used to solder and shrinkwrap repair these but now this would be my preferred method.

Just make sure you get proper shink crimp pliers (the plastic crimp pliers don't work properly even though some sell them with the heat shrink connectors).

Personal I'd chop the connectors off and hard wire the lot.

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
1635178662099.png

Took the FS1 for a spin earlier and that 750/4 parked next to it shortly after, fair play the Honda was mint. Trying to squeeze the odd ride out in before it gets too bad weather wise, yesterday the 883 XL followed by the Lambretta. The latter felt ridiculously small after the HD, but still brings a big grin when riding it. Today was going to be the MT50 after the little Yamaha, but daft ar*e here decided to try and fit a new carb to the OR50, and it hasn't ended well. Oh dear, as soon as the Rd50 is ready I'll drop the Suzuki off in it's place and get the experts on the case.

Top Bottom