Motorbike and scooter owners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Pinlock inserts!

Bit of advice please. My stepson has a Stealth brand helmet which according to the Pinlock website is not one they do an insert for.

Do they just stick on the inside of the visor? If so could we just buy one for another brand and see if it fits? I've never used one so it's a bit of mystery tech to me.

Thanks

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
The TL1000R was a much prettier bike

View attachment 706515

Lovely looking bike. My boss had one back in the day and said it tried to kill him so he went back to the S. IIRC they were a bit prone to the speed wobbles and dubbed another widow-maker?

teeonethousand

Pinlock inserts!

Bit of advice please. My stepson has a Stealth brand helmet which according to the Pinlock website is not one they do an insert for.

Do they just stick on the inside of the visor? If so could we just buy one for another brand and see if it fits? I've never used one so it's a bit of mystery tech to me.

Thanks

Pinlocks go on the inside of your visor and are held tensioned against the visor by the 2 pins that should be either side of the visor about an inch in. I would imagine that the shape of the visor, distance between pins and it’s curve is key as the seal strip needs to make a perfect seal against the inside otherwise doesn’t work

Gunk

Guru
Lovely looking bike. My boss had one back in the day and said it tried to kill him so he went back to the S. IIRC they were a bit prone to the speed wobbles and dubbed another widow-maker?

My old ‘blade used to like shaking its head, especially decelerating at speed. Even a Scott’s damper didn’t cure it. Plus it didn’t have any brakes.

Drago

Legendary Member
Milly is a genius. He built the Viper bike, converts Z1s to V8s, 3 pots to 4 and 5 pots, made a strsight 6 FZR250 into a 60s Hinda racer rep, but designs it all in his head as he goes along. Mind you, prior to his retirement he repaired nuclear reactors for a living so you'd like to think he knows a little bit about engineering.

The Allen Millyard youtube channel has some amazing vids, hours of good viewing.

Gunk

Guru
Milly is a genius. He built the Viper bike, converts Z1s to V8s, 3 pots to 4 and 5 pots, made a strsight 6 FZR250 into a 60s Hinda racer rep, but designs it all in his head as he goes along. Mind you, prior to his retirement he repaired nuclear reactors for a living so you'd like to think he knows a little bit about engineering.

The Allen Millyard youtube channel has some amazing vids, hours of good viewing.

I’m a huge fan, and an incredibly modest, humble man.

Jameshow

Veteran
Seen at the foot of devils staircase, mud Wales!
Despite no license to ride it I almost brought it there and then!

IMG-20230909-WA0019.jpeg

Duncan McDonald, one half of the original 'Pace Research' (as they were back in the late 80's/early 90s) was also involved in that industry, welding reactor chambers
He was a nice guy, I met him a few times, but it tended to be Adrian Carter that I saw (or Steve Worland)

On a similar vein, at the famous(?) 'Two Wheels Good' in Leeds, one of the guys in their workshop was an ex-RN helicopter engineer

Profpointy

Legendary Member
When you see them racing full chat around the IOM TT it's bloody frightening, they have balls of steel!.

We were at Craig na Bar and though one guy, having over-cooked it a bit, was about to shredded by the steel cable mesh protecting us watchers. Thankfully after a scary amount of wibble wobble he scrubbed off enough speed to make it round the bend, but looked well dodgy.

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Pinlock inserts!

Thanks

2825EC29-3534-4102-BED5-FE8B288C23A3.jpeg
we

CCB613F0-46D0-400C-80B5-F9C481135B49.jpeg

My Shoei helmet came with something like that. Don't know if it's an actual "pinlock" brand or their own, but it is excellent. Only once caused trouble trying to ride in snow when somehow it misted up inside. That's one journey in 35000 miles of use, including one or two others in snow/ sleet (best avoided obviously)

Anyhow the fixing broke so I just banged in a pop rivet. This might be workable if you retrofit to a helmet visor lacking the dual layer.

I take it you are already aware of the "smear with fairy liquid and wipe clear trick" to avoid misting if you visor is single layer

Last edited:
Top Bottom