Motorcycles in Bus lanes (with cycles)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[QUOTE 1100570"]
Horrible story, but where does it mention a bus lane? I'm assuming that you know the road?
[/quote]

There is a bus lane almost along the length of that road but it's not actually a bus lane at that junction IIRC. There's a bus stop just before the junction, then no bus lane for a bit, before it comes back. The junction is a stupid design as well, it's a skew junction with traffic lights that encourage pedestrians to jaywalk and cyclists to jump the red light (not that I'm suggesting that's what happened here).

Google street view here (sorry, seems they took it on a rainy day) - the building is what's now being demolished behind those black boards.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
So what? What I say is true about large numbers of bikers.

No Mikey, it is not. Now you are the one being biased.

It "may" be true of the large number of bikers you meet on your commute (or it may not, only you can truly be the judge of that)...but it is most definitely NOT true of the large number of Motorcyclists.

You are making a huge (and at the same time narrow minded) broad statement about ALL motorcyclists based only upon your restricted view of the numbers that you meet in London, during the rush hour which are probably, in the main either scooter riders (who seem far less skilled and certainly less trained/qualified) or couriers, who, JUST LIKE CYCLE COURIERS, seem to be a breed apart from the rest of us.

You campaign about people making general assumptions of cyclists’, yet you jump straight on the "bigot express" when discussing another form of transport that requires much training, examination, certification, road craft and skill to use properly.

I can see that I am wasting my time trying to discuss this objectively with you though Mikey, you are right and everyone else is wrong, which seems to be your default position on most issues these days.

Jezston

Über Member
[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48gbUtVzvJg[/media]

I made my intentions clear and the cyclist and motorcyclist in front had no issues. Some people are just idiots and i've got plenty of videos that show they come in all modes of transport.

Ugh what a douchebag.

Looks like from the rear shot that he was trying to overtake you but couldn't get an angle due to you being in primary, so decides to undertake you at speed to teach you a lesson. The little revs after you shout at him suggest a "f you".

Did this happen recently? Get anywhere reporting him?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
You're so totally missing the point, Jonny. Allowing bikes in bus lanes allows the p1$$ poor riders to go much faster than they otherwise would. They're otherwise slowed up by having to filter, which is not the case in a bus lane.

Going in a bus lane is a privilege, not a right. There's no punishment by not allowing motorbikes in the bus lane. And I'm far less biased than you might think, I have 60,000 miles on motorbikes, albeit out in Africa. I'd have a lot more than that, but I gave up motorbikes for my wife and her family when we met, because riding is so dangerous.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
You're so totally missing the point, Jonny. Allowing bikes in bus lanes allows the p1$$ poor riders to go much faster than they otherwise would. They're otherwise slowed up by having to filter, which is not the case in a bus lane.

Going in a bus lane is a privilege, not a right. There's no punishment by not allowing motorbikes in the bus lane. And I'm far less biased than you might think, I have 60,000 miles on motorbikes, albeit out in Africa. I'd have a lot more than that, but I gave up motorbikes for my wife and her family when we met, because riding is so dangerous.

I'm not missing the point Mikey, you are.

Piss poor drivers (as you put it) will speed whenever they get a chance. thats the point you are missing. Taking them out of bus lanes will simply stop them speeding in bus lanes. So who stops them from speeding elsewhere?

So why should I and the other "majority" of safe motorcycle riders be taken out of bus lanes because of these few and yes it is a punishment, removing any privilage is just that...mikey your logic is way out of whack?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Why should we stop them speeding in bus lanes? Because it's 'kin dangerous to cyclists and pedestrians, and the collision rate goes right up for everyone. It's not a few bikers speeding in bus lanes either, it's lots of them, all over London.

You have missed the point, and it's because you're so biased towards bikers.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Why should we stop them speeding in bus lanes? Because it's 'kin dangerous to cyclists and pedestrians, and the collision rate goes right up for everyone. It's not a few bikers speeding in bus lanes either, it's lots of them, all over London.

You have missed the point, and it's because you're so biased towards bikers.

who said anything about NOT stopping them from speeding in bus lanes?

And no, I am biased towards well skilled considerate bikers.

g00se

Veteran
Just adding fuel :smile:

According to the final report here. 47% of motorcyclists were over the speed limt (using their selected test locations) where they had access to bus lanes. it doesn't say whether they were in the bus lane or not. Before they had access, at the same points, about 37% sped.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
...which is rather damning!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Speeding motorcyclists should be 'done', period. We Have The Technology. But insofar as they ride sensibly, I for one have no problem with them having access to bus lanes and the rest of it, and as a 15 miles a day London commuter, have experienced no problems since the law changed. And overall, I think that any measure that encourages people onto two wheels - powered or not - rather than four has to be, broadly speaking, beneficial to the community at large. Less congestion, less pollution, and - yes - less carnage on the roads. It's true that motorcyclists kill people on the roads, but considerately, mostly themselves.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Tfl press release
New Motorcycles in Bus Lanes trial begins this weekend

Motorcyclists in London will be permitted to use the Capital’s red route bus lanes under a new 18 month Motorcycles in Bus Lanes trial that begins tomorrow (24 July).

The new trial will allow motorcyclists to ride in the 418 bus lanes on the Transport for London Road Network (TLRN) that were used in the previous 18 month trial, which ended on 5 July. However, the new trial will also include the following additional elements:

·         A new road safety awareness campaign aimed at improving drivers' awareness of motorbikes and cyclists in bus lanes;

·         Motorcyclists on BikeSafe training will have their courses updated to include extra training on awareness of vehicles crossing their path at junctions;

·         There will be strict enforcement of speeding by motorcyclists, in order to improve safety.

A report into the previous trial examined the 418 TLRN bus lanes that the trial covered, and looked in detail at 28 of those Trial sites, comparing them with 28 Control sites on parallel routes where motorcyclists did not have access to bus lanes. It found that:

·         Fears of an increase in cyclist collisions with motorcyclists were unfounded;

·         There was a fall in the cyclist collision rate across trial bus lanes and the control lanes, with a smaller decrease in the trial lanes, and there were no fatal accidents over the period of the trial;
·         More than half (51 per cent) of motorcyclists switched from riding on the outside of the road to the bus lanes.

In addition, a separate study by TfL that used police traffic officers to study journey times in bus lanes indicated that journeys made by motorcycles using bus lanes were, on average, more than 10 per cent quicker than those not using bus lanes and 36 per cent quicker than cars.

Road user surveys of more than 2,000 Londoners also found that:

·         93 per cent of motorcyclists and 51 per cent of cyclists and car and van drivers who were aware of the Motorcycles in Bus Lanes trial supported it.

·         Fifty four per cent of motorcyclists said they now use TfL’s road network more often following the start of the trial. 

However, the independent report found that some questions remain about the way in which motorcycle riders use bus lanes. It identified that there was an increase in the rate of motorcyclist collisions, predominantly with cars turning into or out of side roads on routes where motorcyclists had access to bus lanes. At the Trial sites there was an increase from 30 to 41 collisions, whereas there was a reduction from 16 to 8 collisions on the Control sites. In light of those findings, the decision was made to introduce the new trial, which starts this weekend and will run for 18 months.

Ben Plowden, Director of Better Routes and Places at TfL, said: “As part of this new trial, we’ll be introducing a focused road safety awareness campaign aimed at making drivers more aware of the need to look out for motorcyclists’ and cyclists’ presence in bus lanes.  Motorcyclists undertaking BikeSafe training will also receive additional information on the need to watch out for vehicles turning across their path at junctions.  

“Stricter enforcement of speeding by motorcyclists will also be a priority to improve safety. Taken together, these campaigns will be part of our wider effort to help reduce the number of motorcyclist collisions taking place on London’s major roads.” 

Top Bottom