Motorcycles in Bus lanes (with cycles)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Jonny, that has to be one of the most biased posts I've read in quite a while!

Bikers speed because they have a long stretch of largely empty bus lane ahead of them. Apart from those pesky cyclists, that is.

What I think was the 'actual' report (not the commentary linked to above) says there was one serious 'conflict' between a bike and a motorbike; but not how many collisions there were. Their conclusion is:

The effect of permitting motorcycles into bus lanes has been assessed
after 10 months of implementation. This analysis period is the minimum
where any reasonably large effects can be ascertained. This has identified
that motorcyclists appear to be less safe since the scheme has been
introduced. There were no changes in the safety of cyclists and
pedestrians that could be directly attributed to the motorcycles being
permitted access to the bus lanes.

Simon_m

Guru
I personally don't like motorbikes whizzing any where near me. I feel they should be kept in the same lane as cars. The go too fast and whizz by. If you have to swerve suddenly to mind one of the many huge craters in the road, I fear that I am going to be hit from behind. Now they are allowed to use the bus lane as a test, it will be impossible to get them out again without signage everywhere saying that they are not allowed to use bus lanes. They seem to use the green cycle lanes and the green boxes at the front of junctions as if they own them. I do protest and more so then not, overtake them and pull right infront of them if they are in the green box, look at them and the ground at the cycle icon. I had one of them beep at me the other day lol, so i just gave him a look, pointed at him and at the icon on the floor. Waited a bit while the lights were green then cycled off. I think if everyone protests somewhat, they may get the mesasge. Maybe not. (wrong thread, but what is with this blue sh**t that's been painted on the roads? Gloss paint?!! Yes that's a good idea, ridden on it once, never again.)

Blackandblue

I didn't percieve bias in the analysis. I read it more as a critique of a failed study. The incidence of collisions between cyclists and motorcyclists is only one factor to assess. The fact that there wasn't a significance in such collisions isn't conclusive justification for allowing motorbikes into bus lanes. The fact that there appears to be an increase in collisions between motor cars and motorcycles does tend to suggest it might not be a good thing. The fact that there seems to be an increase in collisions between cyclists and other road users is also a cause for concern and should be explored further rather than dismissed merely because it cannot be easily explained.

Whether accidents on the roads can be reduced with better awareness of road users is, I would hope, a question that can be easily answered.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Jonny, that has to be one of the most biased posts I've read in quite a while!

Bikers speed because they have a long stretch of largely empty bus lane ahead of them. Apart from those pesky cyclists, that is.

I disagree.

Are you trying to say that motorcyclist dont speed unless they are in an empty bus lane. Also motorbikes need little to no distance to reach frightening speeds so they really have no need for lonmg empty stretches of anythig if they intend to speed.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 1100557"]
Bonkers.

I'd put the average cyclist speed on a road below 15mph. That's a 15mph differential for a biker buzzing you within the limit. The idiot bikers don't take much notice of speed limits, so the reality is different to "Sometimes I can't even catch up with cyclists".

[/quote]

correct, the idoit bikers dont.

but not all bikers are idots.

If it is reasonable to assume that all bikers were the same, am I to assume you are a red light jumping tax evading lentle eater?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'm saying that heavy London traffic keeps the naughty bikers slow. No longer, now that they have largely empty bus lanes to speed down. Yes, bikes don't take much distance to go fast, but it's most time beneficial when done over the longer stretches in a bus lane.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Never have any problems with them in the bus lane. Just go fast and ride in the middle of the lane, makes everyone pass you properly normally...

The way some people go on about this kind of things makes it reasonably apparent that they think everything should be done for the benefit of cyclists and to the detriment of anyone who dares use a motor engine of any kind. Were not Copenhagen or any of these other small sleepy cities, it's London, get used to the close passes etc. We've already got thousands of boring videos on youtube showing so-called 'close passes' and so on when it's all just regular London traffic. Get over it

Evilcat

Some people are just idiots and i've got plenty of videos that show they come in all modes of transport.
That happens to me pretty much every evening on the Euston Road bus lane. If I cycle to the left of primary then moronic taxis try and squeeze by. If I cycle in primary then cretins on scooters and idiot RLJers undertake. And if I'm at lights in an ASL in primary then I will always have a scooter or motorbike either side, normally within a few cm. Plus PTWs are now so encouraged to use red route bus lanes that they think nothing of using other bus lanes where they are prohibited (which pretty much accounts for the rest of my commute).

I am _so_ getting fed up with commuting in London, to the point of thinking about jacking in the current job and looking for something a bit closer or at least more accessible by tube. :sad:

EC

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 1100562"]
No. I didn't make any generalisation. I was just elaborating on your claim that passing speeds are minimal in bus lanes between motorbikes and proper bikes. Even with bikers riding within the limit they're not.
[/quote]

I do take your point MP. the reason I get so defensive of this issue is that (like cyclists) good motorcyclists are generally tarred with the same brush as most bad motorcyclists... just like cyclists
Not all motorcyclist's are risk taking road hogs, many (I say most) are just intent on making it to the office alive, just as we are when on the road. Bus lanes often offer a safer place for a motorcyclist to ride and finding a reason to remove that option is, in my opinion, unresonable when it is not the motorcyclist that are a danger in the bus lanes...it is the inconsiderate law breaking riders who are ...and they are a danger where ever they ride.

the real solution is to remove them from the roads. not to remove motorbikes from bus lanes, thereby making their journeys more dangerous. In answer to your comment on speed differentials., I will video my next ride on the motorbike and show how close a speed I ride to most (the vast majority) of cyclists.I am positive that If I overtook you on the motorbike, you would not be at all phased or shaken.

Oh and Mikey, its not bias. I feel as strongly about good motorcycle craft as I do good Cyclecraft and I get as fed up reading biased reports about motorbikes as we all do reading biased reports about cyclist.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I'm saying that heavy London traffic keeps the naughty bikers slow. No longer, now that they have largely empty bus lanes to speed down. Yes, bikes don't take much distance to go fast, but it's most time beneficial when done over the longer stretches in a bus lane.

See that there is my point exactly. Don’t you see what you are saying.

"Bikers speed because of largely empty bus lanes"...no Mikey, bikers speed because they are idiots (as MP puts it)...not because the "road tells them to" I have plenty of open road on my route and i don’t feel a compunction to speed at all.

and then you follow this with "London traffic keeps the naughty bikers slow". No again, The law should keep "naughty" bikers slow, or remove them from the road entirely. So why punish the majority of "good" bikers because a number of "idiots" spoil it for everyone else.

Should cyclist's be banned from riding in cities because some "naughty" cyclists jump red lights?

lpjr

I am new to cycling but have ridden my motorbike for many years. I am in total agreement with Jonny. The majority of motorbike commuters ride within the law. In the north west use of bus lanes is prohibited, I hope the London test is successful because I would like restrictions for motorbikes lifted. It would make my journey safer.

With regards riding standards if I have a camera on my motorbike I could show poor standards from cars, motorbikes and cycles. The issue is dealing with these people. This link takes you to a recent story where a cyclist causes a death in a bus lane, Manchester Evening News , read the comments after the article. No form of transport can be free from criticism. The aim is to make the roads safer for everyone.

Top Bottom