Motorcycles in bus lanes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LLB

nethalus said:
For some alternative views on the subject you could always look at:

http://www.bloodbus.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=34873#34873

I hear Boris Johnson wants to open up bus lanes to Motorcyles in London. Me thinks this is slightly worrying like. I mean they want to let motorbikes into bus lanes, its just one step closer to letting cars in and them getting rid of bus lanes all together. Ok on my route there are only two bus lanes that it uses, and one of them is only in the evening. But at rush hour it does help my bus to escape the jam for a few minutes and get my heavily loaded bus full of commuters to their destinations quicker. If the bus lane is clogged full of cars, like all the other lanes, then we've lost all hope like. Found this site http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=1145 (ok its mostly about cyclists). Like I say they want to be careful about opening up bus lanes to anything more than buses, cyclists and taxis.

Absolute shyte, Motorcycles are recognised as a mode of reducing congestion along with cycles

hackbike 6

I suppose as i mix it with motorcycles in the rush hour then it will be okay.

LLB

Why would I want to do that? It's enough with you over here jumping to the 4x4 and motorcyclists's defence, regardless of the issue.

Mind you, there may be some 4x4 owners over there who aren't blinded by their own insecurity.

You think it better to just ignore the criticism levied by the prejudiced and it will go away ;)

I spent half an hour in the town centre today with a cycling campaigner discussing cycling issues. One of the subjects hot on the local agenda is this

Best label all cyclists in a prejudicial manner given the seriousness of the crime which the rider has committed, or allow both sides of the argument to be viewed to give balance to it ?

PBancroft

linfordlunchbox said:
I spent half an hour in the town centre today with a cycling campaigner discussing cycling issues. One of the subjects hot on the local agenda is this

Wow. That's sad. Sad for the girl, and sad that it got political real quick.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Why would I want to do that? It's enough with you over here jumping to the 4x4 and motorcyclists's defence, regardless of the issue.

I can understand that Linf may not be to everyone's liking on here, but it's good to have people argue 'against the flow'.

How boring would it be to have a forum where everyone just agreed all the time?

In the main, everyone on here is brought together by some level of interest in bikes, but that doesn't mean that we all have to be bike fanatics or 'cycling campaigners'.

Cycling is no doubt an aspect of all our lives, but it need not be the defining aspect...

Wolf04

Just read this thread, no position on MC's in bus lanes as my commute doesn't include any. I've never had any problem with motorcyclists. However Spindrift for trying to make Thatcher a fantasy figure you should be made to cycle the end to end on a tandem sitting behind John Prescott in a thong! I'd rather use mine to stir coffee!
Ouch!! Ouch!!
I reluctantly withdraw my last comment.

spindrift

I've never had any problem with motorcyclists.

One yesterday, accelerating and doing wheelies. I don't want to share crowded lanes with them, the fact is that motorbikes pose twice the danger to cyclists than car drivers do. This would be a regressive step because the stated aim is to increase cycling, allowing PTWs in bus lanes would DISCOURAGE cycling.

The claim that on the trial routes the "number of motorcycle collisions fell by 42%" is wrong. Not even the report rejected by Transport for London made such a claim. That leaked report calculated a changed 'rate' of collisions by using traffic data estimated on only one day in a year, those estimates varied wildly by over 100% year by year. Any conclusions drawn from such dodgy data are dangerous nonsense.

What will happen, I confidently predict, is that if PTWs are allowed in bus lanes then they will start using cycle lanes. They already use ASLs every single freaking day.

LLB

spindrift said:
I've never had any problem with motorcyclists.

One yesterday, accelerating and doing wheelies. I don't want to share crowded lanes with them, the fact is that motorbikes pose twice the danger to cyclists than car drivers do. This would be a regressive step because the stated aim is to increase cycling, allowing PTWs in bus lanes would DISCOURAGE cycling.

The claim that on the trial routes the "number of motorcycle collisions fell by 42%" is wrong. Not even the report rejected by Transport for London made such a claim. That leaked report calculated a changed 'rate' of collisions by using traffic data estimated on only one day in a year, those estimates varied wildly by over 100% year by year. Any conclusions drawn from such dodgy data are dangerous nonsense.

What will happen, I confidently predict, is that if PTWs are allowed in bus lanes then they will start using cycle lanes. They already use ASLs every single freaking day.

What cycle lanes, the shared pavement ones or the feeders for ASLs ?

spindrift

However Spindrift for trying to make Thatcher a fantasy figure you should be made to cycle the end to end on a tandem sitting behind John Prescott in a thong!

That's a mental image you may find hard to shake off.

The Evening Standard comments pages are full of references to "the cycling mafia" and our unreasonable demands.

Right. So they've no right to complain about having high powered, noisy and fast vehicles suddenly hurtling past them on their already cramped bit of road space, and they should just shut up and put up with it?

Anything that discourages people from cycling around town is a bad thing, IMO, and there's no doubting that this will put some people off.

It's supposed to be Boris's policy to encourage more cyclists on the roads. I can't think of a single thing in this proposed change that will do anything to encourage new cyclists - in fact,. I think it will have quite the opposite effect.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
It may encourage people out of their cars and onto motorbikes though, which IMO is a good thing. It may well reduce congestion a lot.

nethalus

linfordlunchbox said:
Absolute shyte, Motorcycles are recognised as a mode of reducing congestion along with cycles
The message you quoted does not dispute that. What it is saying, if you had read it properly, is that could allowing more vehicle types into bus lanes be a sign that they are slowly being erroded away? Like the title of the tread said "Motorcycles today, cars tomorrow?"

spindrift

Please don't drag that chap's desperate attention-seeking out of ignore lists.

Have you seen the evidence?

LCC has written to London Mayor Boris Johnson asking him not to make a snap decision to allow motorbikes to use bus lanes, a move that could endanger the lives of cyclists and pedestrians, and is calling on LCC supporters to do the same.
London Assembly Conservatives say that the ‘wheels are in motion’ and the Mayor will ‘rubber stamp’ the decision after technical requirements are met. LCC is advising the Mayor not to base any decisions on what Transport for London has described as unreliable evidence.
LCC’s chief executive Koy Thomson told the Mayor that ‘making a snap decision on this key issue based on evidence that is ‘not statistically significant’, or is based on ‘flawed methodology’, is an enormous risk and could adversely impact the safety of many pedestrians and cyclists.
‘This would be a decision taken not only against the advice of transport officials and without the input of cycling and pedestrian groups, but also in the face of a warning that this could ‘disbenefit’ cyclists and pedestrians.’
Managing Director for Surface Transport at Transport for London David Brown has stated: ‘The data used in the earlier report was not considered sufficiently reliable to inform a decision on such an important issue.’ Following a review of the data Mr Brown’s conclusion (April 2008) was that ‘there is no evidence to indicate that motorcyclists would see any significant safety benefits from being allowed to enter bus lanes but that there were potential disbenefits for both cyclists and pedestrians.’

Tom Bogdanowicz, LCC’s Campaigns Manager, said:

“Providing new high speed channels for motorcycles along major roads will inevitably increase motorcycle use. More motorcycle traffic will spread to all streets in London and will bring with it an increase in casualties for vulnerable road users. We’re asking our supporters to urge the Mayor to consider the safety impact on all London streets for every road user before any decision on allowing high-speed vehicles into bus lanes is made.”
It is well established that motorcycles are involved in a greater proportion of collisions per kilometre with pedestrians and cyclists than are cars.
Sign our petition TODAY.

Top Bottom