Motoring Fads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Possibly the most famous and certainly the most stupid was the 'Quartic,' steering wheel on the Allegro:

Can you imagine the development meeting at BL when it was decided to put this into the new Allegro?

Dan77

I had a car with 4 wheel steering. It was only a light steer on the rear. Citroen ZX Volcane. Handled like it was on rails.

Another fad was hydraulic suspension. Citroen BX pretty much went from a lowrider to a monster truck in 4 stages.

Sticking with Citroen the 2CV had some unusual spec. too with the suspension and fold down windows.

Venod

Eh up
Sticking with Citroen the 2CV had some unusual spec. too with the suspension and fold down windows.
I had a 2CV loved the quirkiness of it, suspension, engine ,fold up windows, full length sunroof, door handles that wouldn't lock if it was too cold, it would go anywhere in the snow, the wings unbolted, the bonnet was easily removed, its one fault it was made of tissue paper, if it was made of substantial stuff I would be looking for another.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Slot mag alloys.

Jacking up the rear for a hot rod look.

Skull gear knobs.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
When I had a car I had a three foot wooden CD holder that was fixed between driver and passenger seat at a slight angle so they wouldn't slide out. Can't imagine I would ever stream anything. I love CD,s on shelves and vinyl.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I seem to remember about 10 - 15 years ago, people making their car rust on purpose, rat look or something?

You'd fit right in with a Lancia Beta, but i don't know why you'd do that on purpose...

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Another fad was hydraulic suspension. Citroen BX pretty much went from a lowrider to a monster truck in 4 stages.
Not only the BX, there was the DS, CX and Xantia. They were the only cars you could drive on three wheels. Not so much of a fad as they ran for around forty years.

Last edited:
Top Bottom