Motoring Fads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Another one that springs to mind is taking a normal hatchback and attempting to turn it into some sort of mini suv type thing with lots of faded black plastic trim. The Rover Streetwise springs to mind and Renault did something similar with the Scenic.
We used to snigger back then, but now every second car model seems to be a mundane model jazzed up to pretend its a mini Humvee.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Anti static rubber strips

Yup, you'd get in a car and go 'WTF is that grinding noise' as they moved slowly...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh I wasn't questioning their legality, I know it's all legal. I was just wondering why it's a thing, I've always struggled to understand why people will pay money for a number plate. It's crackers.
"Shortened" or private plates even more so. I think to most normal plate owners it just signals that there's a thrunger aboard the wagon in question, which is probably not what the buyer had in mind surely.

It's modding cars... just like we do bits to our bikes... like fitting colour matched bar grips/tape/saddles/QR release/bolts..... I have grown out of colour matched tyres on my bikes, thank god....

Gunk

Guru
Not really a fad but you don’t see these anymore. Ferry companies, motoring organisations all produced their own branded GB stickers. They used come free with your ferry tickets or European travel insurance

Anyone own up to wearing 'Alan Partridge' style driving gloves? Knew a fella years back who had a special pair of driving 'slippers' that he kept in his car, and always changed into them before any journey. My first car was a Hillman Hunter - total bag of s**t it was, but retro fitted fog lights and all sorts, but big mistake was adding a rear demister thingy - ran the battery flat in no time. Almost compulsory for any new vehicle acquisition, to cover it with glue and drive through Halfords - happy days :okay:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
"My other car is a Porsche"

D

Deleted member 26715

Stretched tyres are still a thing & I still don't understand them, they look crap & are bloody dangerous, also lowering a car to the point where the only suspension is the 45 profile tyre, the ride must be unbelievably shite.

Just why? You couldn't drive that around here.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Black wrap on the bonnet, I see it a lot on VWs and BMWs. Maybe it's to protect the front from stone chips, but I don't think it looks very smart.
Also those eye lashes on headlights! How garish. It's all down to taste though, and we all differ.

White lettering on tyres.
I think that looks really smart if it's in keeping with the style of vehicle i.e. a classic bike or old american car

Stretched tyres are still a thing & I still don't understand them, they look crap & are bloody dangerous, also lowering a car to the point where the only suspension is the 45 profile tyre, the ride must be unbelievably shite.

Just why? You couldn't drive that around here.

View attachment 551155
You need to jack the car up to be able to put a jack underneath . :wacko:

Top Bottom