Motoring Fads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Granada coupe. A slightly later version with straighter lines than the coke bottle curves of the first version.
Close, it's actually a Consul GT coupe.

Black wrap on the bonnet, I see it a lot on VWs and BMWs. Maybe it's to protect the front from stone chips, but I don't think it looks very smart.
Also those eye lashes on headlights! How garish. It's all down to taste though, and we all differ.

I think that looks really smart if it's in keeping with the style of vehicle i.e. a classic bike or old american car
My airfix Mirage jet had matte black anti glare paint in front of the cockpit.

screenman

Legendary Member
I was referring more to the idiots with white pens colouring in the 'goodyear' logos on their tyres. When I was a callow youth our next door neighbour used to 'marshall' at the British grand prix, he'd take the wheels off his car and spend ages polishing each one and blacking the tyres before 'whitening' all the logos. Mind you he had a pretty rare car, one of these.

View attachment 551182

Any guesses as to what it was.

The Granada Ghia Coupe used the same shell made in Germany, I had quite a few of them, I never owned a Consul GT in that shape but had a few of the 4 doors as used by The Sweeney. In fact I do not remember the Consul GT Coupe coming into the UK there were quite a few in Germany though.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The Granada Ghia Coupe used the same shell made in Germany, I had quite a few of them, I never owned a Consul GT in that shape but had a few of the 4 doors as used by The Sweeney. In fact I do not remember the Consul GT Coupe coming into the UK there were quite a few in Germany though.
No Geoff Carter's was definitely badged as a Consul GT, I'd tell you what year it was but he had a private plate on it (GAY 54) he always reckoned it was very rare though.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
The Turbo Charger was a bit of a fad though in the 80's early 90's. I mean, TURBO would often find it's way in big letters somewhere on a car with it back in the day. I had a Volvo 480 TURBO. I also had a Rover 800 Vitesse TURBO for about 6 weeks. I know turbo's are around today, probably in greater numbers but no one cares. In those days it was huge. The rover 200 had a turbo model for heavens sake!

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
The Turbo Charger was a bit of a fad though in the 80's early 90's. I mean, TURBO would often find it's way in big letters somewhere on a car with it back in the day. I had a Volvo 480 TURBO. I also had a Rover 800 Vitesse TURBO for about 6 weeks. I know turbo's are around today, probably in greater numbers but no one cares. In those days it was huge. The rover 200 had a turbo model for heavens sake!
The cheaper version was the "Turbo" badge, available at all branches of Halfords and easily stuck on the boot yourself. Always unconvincing on any car.

The modern equivalent is the "M Sport" badge or painted grille fins, as seen on just about all battered, low end diesel BMWs.

Drago

Legendary Member
No Geoff Carter's was definitely badged as a Consul GT, I'd tell you what year it was but he had a private plate on it (GAY 54) he always reckoned it was very rare though.
The Consul and Granda were identical. In the very early days of production before the big V6's arrived, the Granda tv people suddenly took ford to court over the use of the name. Ford had to temporaily stick with the Consul name while this was resolved. The tv people lost and Ford immediately reverted to the Granada name as originally planned, and made no other alterations to the model with the name change.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Not only the BX, there was the DS, CX and Xantia. They were the only cars you could drive on three wheels. Not so much of a fad as they ran for around forty years.

Had a BX Gti as a company car - quick car but I hated it from the day I got it. Rattled and creaked all over - it usually had a small pile of trim pieces in the boot that I had removed to try and stop them. Mercifully we only ran them up to 40000 miles back then; just over a year for me.

Drago

Legendary Member
My Dad had a Cx in the 70's. And advanced and efficient car, much quicker thats its limited engine size and power would otherwise suggest. Alas, the tinworm was also advanced and efficient and even by the standards of the day it didn't take long to look like an antique garden implement.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
My dad had 2 GS's at the same time. Both from the scrapyard as one was a donor car to build up the other one :laugh:
When finished, it took all 5 of us around the coast of Ireland on a 2 week camping holiday.
Every time my sister, brother and I were taken out in it, we would get butterflies and start giggling as the car rose up on its suspension ^_^
Loved that car 😊

Top Bottom