Motorised pollution mask?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CBY-31

Regular
Hello everyone I am currently starting my design engineering coursework and as a young cyclist with Hay fever and dust allergies, my best project idea, so far, seems to be to create a pollution mask with a motor to increase the rate of air flowing through the filter therefore keeping it easier to breathe through the mask when you are perhaps cycling up a steep hill or something similar. The filter itself would be a washable HEPA filter preventing pollutants from passing through, being washable would ensure sustainability. This mask would require another motor to pull the air out of the mask simultaneously to ensure that the mask was sealed against the skin therefore no pollutant particles can get into the airflow.
Thank you for reading this and if you find any flaws with this design idea please do not hesitate to tell me because it would only help me improve my design.

classic33

Leg End Member
You require one fan to draw the air through the filter, and deliver it to the face. A one way valve on the escape side would remove the need for a second, extraction, fan. Consider using filters that are already on the market rather than a size/shape of your own.

If you're looking at drawing the air out of the mask to seal it against the face, what air do you breathe?

Not aware of any that draw away the air required to breathe. Check Scott for their range of supply only systems.

Scott

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Without wishing to be pedantic, but I would have thought an anti allergy mask, which seems to be what you are referring to when talking of dust and hay fever, would require different characteristics to a pollution mask, which is referred to in the same sentence.
As I understand it, diesel particulates, which would be a common risk in pollution for cyclists, can be far smaller that dust or hay fever, although I am happy to be corrected. In which case, as the filter is likely to be more dense, the demands of the breather are going to be greater.

Reactions: C R

classic33

Leg End Member
Without wishing to be pedantic, but I would have thought an anti allergy mask, which seems to be what you are referring to when talking of dust and hay fever, would require different characteristics to a pollution mask, which is referred to in the same sentence.
As I understand it, diesel particulates, which would be a common risk in pollution for cyclists, can be far smaller that dust or hay fever, although I am happy to be corrected. In which case, as the filter is likely to be more dense, the demands of the breather are going to be greater.
In the case of diesel filters, you've to replace as they can't be washed out. Which has to be done from one side only. Or you risk driving them in further. Wash enough times and they're through.

OP
OP
C

CBY-31

Regular
Rather than a motor how about a big funnel that uses the speed of the bike to collect the air? :whistle:
Thank you for your input and it is a good idea however the mask needs to have a motorised /electrical element.
Perhaps i could put a motorised fan at the end of the funnel?

OP
OP
C

CBY-31

Regular
In the case of diesel filters, you've to replace as they can't be washed out. Which has to be done from one side only. Or you risk driving them in further. Wash enough times and they're through.
Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention and i am now looking in greater depth

OP
OP
C

CBY-31

Regular
Thank you for replying, i am looking into a higher grade HEPA filter that may be able to filter both and i will have to make sure the motor is powerful enough so the wearer can breath comfortably however i will limit my design to ''anti allergy'' if necessary

classic33

Leg End Member
Thank you for replying, i am looking into a higher grade HEPA filter that may be able to filter both and i will have to make sure the motor is powerful enough so the wearer can breath comfortably however i will limit my design to ''anti allergy'' if necessary
The diesel filter will be good for around 20 - 30 minutes before requiring replacement.

3M have a handy guide to the filters they make, and what they are best used for.

midlife

Guru
You need to bear in mind that expired air is moist and once a filter is damp the particles can be transported across the filter.

kynikos

Veteran
Have you thought about powering it via a cable transmitting the rotational speed of the crank to the fan in the mask - thus delivering air flow proportional to the effort being put in at the pedals? :becool:

Top Bottom