Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
What a race! Mercedes look like they are on their way back.
I really enjoyed Max throwing his toys out of the pram...

classic33

Leg End Member
What a race! Mercedes look like they are on their way back.
I really enjoyed Max throwing his toys out of the pram...
Not whilst their "lead" driver* wants to retire the car because he made a mistake.

*Who was just short of being shown the black and white flag, and receiving a time penalty for exceeding track limits, again.

icowden

Veteran
Not whilst their "lead" driver* wants to retire the car because he made a mistake.
*Who was just short of being shown the black and white flag, and receiving a time penalty for exceeding track limits, again.
Eh? What mistake did he make? Magnussen drove into him. He suggested retiring to save the engine for another race as at that point he wasn't confident that they could do anything. His team told him they could definitely get some points with an 8th place. Then it was hammer time.

As for the black and white flag - yes - he was just short of it. That's why he is a seven time world champion. He pushed the car to the limits, got the fastest race time overall and would have had 4th place if it hadn't been in danger of blowing up. 5th from 2nd last isn't bad going.

classic33

Leg End Member
Eh? What mistake did he make? Magnussen drove into him. He suggested retiring to save the engine for another race as at that point he wasn't confident that they could do anything. His team told him they could definitely get some points with an 8th place. Then it was hammer time.

As for the black and white flag - yes - he was just short of it. That's why he is a seven time world champion. He pushed the car to the limits, got the fastest race time overall and would have had 4th place if it hadn't been in danger of blowing up. 5th from 2nd last isn't bad going.
The car he was driving went to the left, as another tried to get past on that side. The car was "undrivable" in his words.

The black and white flag would have been for exceeding track limits, thereby gaining an advantage each and every time. Which would have been the time penalty that would have been handed to him if he continued.

If he had the fastest race time, he'd have been first. He wasn't.

figbat

Slippery scientist
The car he was driving went to the left, as another tried to get past on that side. The car was "undrivable" in his words.

The black and white flag would have been for exceeding track limits, thereby gaining an advantage each and every time. Which would have been the time penalty that would have been handed to him if he continued.

If he had the fastest race time, he'd have been first. He wasn't.

On the first lap, on cold tyres, anybody going around the outside is going to have to be ready for some understeer from the other car. Kevin cut it too close and Lewis did nothing wrong, as concluded by the stewards.

Going to the limit is part of racing - they all do it; get away with as much as you can without getting penalised. Marginal gains.

And Lewis can have the fastest race time but not win, since he started way back from the front, so he had to drive further than the front row guys to complete the race. P5 (almost P4) from his starting position and with the first lap puncture is one hell of a recovery, in an ‘undriveable’ car.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
C4s F1 highlights, opening with a mock 'top gun' 3 car 'race' with Tom Cruise...silly :blink:. Didn't do it for me.

They do seem to have lost the plot.

From what I saw on Ch4 highlights it seemed as though Magnussen did a Verstappen at Silverstone by steering into Lewis . It looked opposite to what my son had said what happened .
I expect that Lewis was thinking that having to complete the lap with a flat tyre and restarting at the back on a circuit which was difficult to overtake on it seemed the right option .

D

Deleted member 26715

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/12619138/spanish-grand-prix-highlights

I'm not sure who was at fault if you watch the above from about 35 seconds, Lewis has the inside line is well ahead, Kevin tries to go around the outside, it's difficult to see but I didn't see Lewis moving left, it was the slightest of touches.

I'm not convince Mercedes are back despite all the hype, they are still clearly the 3rd team, I think they have made a jump & found 0.5 seconds, but they need to find another 0.5 to be able to compete, George did a great job of holding Max up but that was all he was doing, he was holding him up, had the DRS worked correctly he'd have breezed past & George would not have been able to come back at him. There was also the reliability issue towards the end, they claim a heat issue, I suspect it was a fuel issue & if Lewis hadn't of slowed down he'd have run out of fuel.

As to Red Bull it appears they caused their own problems, reading between the lines, they tried to move a few grams of weight from up top of the car DRS area down lower for more stability & they went the wrong side of the sharp edge & lost reliability, in years gone by they would have tested it extensively in the wind tunnel first to find this weakness. But a great job of the tacitions to be able to come up with a way for Max to drive around George on traction & not DRS.

As to whether RB should have let Sergio win as it's only round 6, that's a hard one, he is the defacto No2, he's doing a better job than any other Max No2, if that's not the role he wants to play then he needs to look elsewhere, but can RB afford to piss him off that much as nobody else has managed to get as close to Max in a car designed exclusively for Max. It leaves a nasty taste, but if Max ended up losing this years championship on less than 5 points they would never have forgiven themselves.

Top Bottom