Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
I thought she was enthusiastic and knew what was going on.
Reasonable race I thought. Not the most action packed but a decent watch.
I agree, but I still found her a bit grating, and I didn't like the way they tried to use her as an actor to do some of the pre-recorded pieces to camera. She isn't one, so let her talk about what she actually knows about rather than portraying her as a wooden dollybird. It had that incredibly American feel

figbat

Slippery scientist
I thought Danica was a good pundit. However I hated the way the race was presented. I realise they are playing to a market but it really grates with me that they set it up in a way that simply being there was a primary objective, with the racing being background noise. Evidence the swimming pools, fake yachts, cabanas etc where people are lazing about within spitting distance of a Formula 1 race but apparently ignoring it. The grid walk was the same - celebs there to be seen but not wanting to be spoken to.

As for the post-race podium interviews.... well they were insightful, weren't they?!

The race itself? Around half-way through I was reflecting that the supposed objectives of the new car design to get closer racing didn't seem to have worked, with the front 4 or 5 strung out with no competition. Midfield there were close-running DRS trains but then midfield was always more active. The safety car reintroduced some close racing meaning it ended with a bit of excitement, but overall it was more of a spectacle than a competition. And now we can look forward to CoTA ramping up the glitz in competition to Miami, with Las Vegas to come in future... xx(

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

I thought Danica was a good pundit. However I hated the way the race was presented. I realise they are playing to a market but it really grates with me that they set it up in a way that simply being there was a primary objective, with the racing being background noise. Evidence the swimming pools, fake yachts, cabanas etc where people are lazing about within spitting distance of a Formula 1 race but apparently ignoring it. The grid walk was the same - celebs there to be seen but not wanting to be spoken to.

Don't think that is anything new, I worked for a company in 2000 that did a lot with HP, we got VIP tickets to be at Silverstone when it was in April, we were guests of Jordan, it was painful as an F1 fan to see some of the people who were in the tent, the amount of food was extravagant, the amount of booze, people were pissed as farts & never left the tent.

You could walk out of the Paddock Club & straight into the seating area at Priory, you could see them just as they came out of Bridge, into Priory, Brooklands, Luffield 1 & 2 then disappear into Woodcote. I was having to explain, who everybody was, what the format was, how to tell the drivers apart, etc. etc. But at least they came out of hospitality.

Just found out earlier that my boss was there yesterday, didn't even know he knew what a F1 car was.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Today's Formula E from Berlin was a compelling watch.

Looking forwards to the BTCC from Brands tomorrow. And the second FE race from Berlin.

classic33

Leg End Member
The FIA and formula 1 are turning into a complete farce! :angry:
The no jewellry rule is easy understand, if you've ever had an MRI or CAT scan. You're asked to remove any metal, before they start the scan.
If it's "hidden" beneath clothing, and they need to perform one, how are they to know, for certain, you're wearing something you shouldn't?

The no jewellry rule is easy understand, if you've ever had an MRI or CAT scan. You're asked to remove any metal, before they start the scan.
If it's "hidden" beneath clothing, and they need to perform one, how are they to know, for certain, you're wearing something you shouldn't?

It's not that . It is the other things and changes they are making .
An unsafe release from pits shouldn't be . Oh! Carry on we will just add five seconds to your time . They should be forced to come back into the pits until they get it right .
They seem to be coming up with ways in which to manipulate the results of races .
I am becoming fed up with the sport, bouncy cars and especially the coloured bovine team .

Have the new changes to the F1 cars made the desired effect they were looking for ?
From what I have seen all they seem to have done is to change the order of the grid by imposing restrictions to cars using a particular engine to the benefit of other engine manufacturers .

D

Deleted member 26715

There's only 20 drivers, theres a huge raft of regulations, surely it's not inconceivable to add another page to declare all jewellery on each race. As @Illaveago & Hamilton says there are bigger issues than to worry about this.

D

Deleted member 26715

Have the new changes to the F1 cars made the desired effect they were looking for ?
From what I have seen all they seem to have done is to change the order of the grid by imposing restrictions to cars using a particular engine to the benefit of other engine manufacturers .

Not sure that's quite fair, yes they have closed each bunch up & each bunch is closer together, but the same teams are in the same bunches, Mercedes I think are a victim of their own consequences, they tried something radical & it doesn't at the moment appear to have worked.

There's only 20 drivers, theres a huge raft of regulations, surely it's not inconceivable to add another page to declare all jewellery on each race. As @Illaveago & Hamilton says there are bigger issues than to worry about this.

That is a good point .
The fact that George Russell is already complaining about back injury from the bouncing of the cars. You would think that would be more of a priority as it was their changes which have led to these problems .

Top Bottom