Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Yeah, it's only when you start crunching the numbers that you see just how good Lewis is. And even when his McLaren was less than stellar, he could still get a damn good tune out of it, getting results that were far better than they had any right to be - *THAT* is the hallmark of a top quality driver. And that seems to be the same this year, as the Red Bull is clearly the better car.

Schumacher is really the one you can compare Lewis to, ideally, in terms of outright results. And also when it came to car reliability. Prior to that, you do have to take into account that you were lucky if you got a dozen finishers in a GP from a grid of 26.

The start to Prost's career was rather iffy - one poor year at McLaren before three seasons at Renault. He should have won the title the title at Renault, but lost out to Piquet. It was only when he went back to McLaren in '84 that things finally clicked. Second in 84, 4th in 87 when arguably Williams had the best car, and WC in 85, 86 and 89. Ferrari was a bust (although watching him wind Mansell up was hilarious), but then WC again in 93 in a Williams.

Senna is a funny one, because he was only truly fast in a car that someone else had worked hard to develop. He couldn't develop a car for toffee. Ruthless and only sometimes a genius, I'd say that the closest analogy to him really, is Vettel.

Tom B

Guru
Anyone else a bit disappointed with the Zandvoort track?

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I was so enamoured of the Zandvoort race that I ended up scrolling through book and magazine listings on the Bay of E and solving the puzzle of a disappearing race meeting at Brands in 1986 commemorating the opening of the M25.

it was snowed off FYI.

icowden

Veteran
I was so enamoured of the Zandvoort race that I ended up scrolling through book and magazine listings on the Bay of E ...
I missed it, but looking at the write up, it doesn't look like I missed much (other than Bottas sticking his fingers up to Merc metaphorically speaking).

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I missed it, but looking at the write up, it doesn't look like I missed much (other than Bottas sticking his fingers up to Merc metaphorically speaking).

No, you didn't. Didn't even bother watching the highlights.

Shame, it's such a lovely circuit (think the love child between Brands and Rockingham) but not suitable for the current generation of F1 cars in much the same way as Monaco and the Hungaroring. Basically the cars are too wide, and there's too much dirty air.

I think you needed a 2 second per lap overspeed to be able to overtake. :wacko:

classic33

Leg End Member
No, you didn't. Didn't even bother watching the highlights.

Shame, it's such a lovely circuit (think the love child between Brands and Rockingham) but not suitable for the current generation of F1 cars in much the same way as Monaco and the Hungaroring. Basically the cars are too wide, and there's too much dirty air.

I think you needed a 2 second per lap overspeed to be able to overtake. :wacko:
Bottas did okay though on the banked track though.

D

Deleted member 1258

Anyone else a bit disappointed with the Zandvoort track?

No, having watched the race highlights its nice to have a track that they can overtake on, Perez was busy and must have been knackered by the end, the race at the front was rather like a chess match.

figbat

Slippery scientist
It really wouldn't surprise me if this happened mid-season too. Valtteri is a loose cannon now - even when not moving seats he ignored team orders and yesterday he did it again at the risk of losing Golden Boy a fastest lap point. Will Kimi come back after recovery? He's never been a "F1 is my life" kind of guy. So Kimi stays away, Bottas to Alfa, George to Merc, maybe Kubica can drive the Williams. You saw it here first!

D

Deleted member 1258

It really wouldn't surprise me if this happened mid-season too. Valtteri is a loose cannon now - even when not moving seats he ignored team orders and yesterday he did it again at the risk of losing Golden Boy a fastest lap point. Will Kimi come back after recovery? He's never been a "F1 is my life" kind of guy. So Kimi stays away, Bottas to Alfa, George to Merc, maybe Kubica can drive the Williams. You saw it here first!

They're talking about Albon to Williams, its just needs Toto to approve it, its about time that Kubica walked away, he's had his time.

Top Bottom