Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
The Ross Brawn-designed Arrows A11 was notorious for its cramped cockpit. Sod's law the team had two of the bigger guys on the grid.
That Terry Blouson? :whistle:

figbat

Slippery scientist
Lest we forget that Mansell didn’t fit in the McLaren MP4/10 at all!

George’s drive in Lewis’s car was remarkable whichever way you look at it - 2 days’ notice, too tall, feet too big, up against a well-practised team mate and had him soundly beaten. You could even see George poking out of the top of the car, so aero and engine intake would also have been sub-optimal. Apparently he needed to ice various bruises after every session.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Boutsen did drive for Arrows, but in '86. ^_^
Eddie Cheever and Derek Warwick, then.

I remember went Arrows went bust (Google tells me it was 2003) and they had an auction, including a three-seater F1 car and a Jaguar XK220. Sadly when I checked my bank balance I realised that I couldn't afford either.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Eddie Cheever and Derek Warwick, then.

I remember went Arrows went bust (Google tells me it was 2003) and they had an auction, including a three-seater F1 car and a Jaguar XK220. Sadly when I checked my bank balance I realised that I couldn't afford either.

Arrows were in trouble long before they finally folded... They were *meant* to be sponsoring my PhD (I started in Sept 2000) but there was an exodus of their engineering staff in 2001, and my project wound up being picked up by McLaren when my external supervisor moved there.

But yeah, Derek and Eddie. :wub: The A11 didn't fit either. Derek needed to do the old smaller driving shoes / ice the bruises thing. Eddie is even taller than Derek, and at one race, he had to retire the car, and he keeled over after climbing out of it because the circulation had been cut off in one of his legs and it had gone numb.

Tom B

Guru
Still not at all sure about this sprint race quali.

Quali on a Friday when folk are at work.
Sprint race on Saturday where the bloke who gets the medal with No1 on it starts at the back having won the Medal with a fresh new box of horses that earns him the penalty.
Race on Sunday, which is effectively race part 2

I remember feeling the same after Silverstone sprint.. it's just like the race has been red flagged. For a day with a few penalities and points thrown in.

Last edited:

FishFright

More wheels than sense

Sprint race on Saturday where the bloke who gets the medal with No1 on it starts at the back having won the Medal with a fresh new box of horses that earns him the penalty.

I remember feeling the same after Silverstone sprint.. it's just like the race has been red flagged. For a day with a few penalities and points thrown in.

I'm sure I don't like it now. Looks like a pure marketing exercise and adds nothing to the sport.

D

Deleted member 1258

I like the idea but think it needs tweaking, I don't think they are allowed to change the car setup between the sprint race and the main race at the moment, but I recon they should be able to set the car up for the sprint then afterwards set it up for the main race, would give engineers a chance to be creative with set up.

Drago

Legendary Member
I really hope they let Lewis and George go at it hammer and tongs next year, if they stunt George as the Number 2 driver it'll be last season I will watch F1 at all..
George reckons that theyre on the same contractual terms, other than the pay and perks I suspect! No designated No1 driver, equal access to facilites and testing, no team orders until such point in the season that one might habe a clear and insurmountable lead over the other, that sort of thing. Not that Lewis ever follows team orders anyway, but is always happy to benefit when they're called in has favour.

I'm looking forward to seeing George give Lewis a good snotting in equal gear, and I'm already running a book on the petulant social media whinging Lewis trots out by way of an excuse.

As for the whole Hamilton v Rosberg needle match, it smacked very much of Mansell v Piquet at Williams in 86 & 87. Piquet was a master of the nasty put-down, and Mansell was so easy to rub up the wrong way.
Verstappen refuses to become involved in those off-track psychological games, and Lewis doesn't like that.

Max is is equal in sheer ability, the car's are closer this year, and Lewis' favourite piece of gamesmanship does't work on Max, and it's showing in Lewis' demanour, which in turn is doubtless affecting his performance.

George is another one who refuses to indulge in these sort of games, either face to face or in the media, so Lewis will also struggle to respond the the challenge he is going to present next year, because on sheer driving abulity alone he doesn't have the edge on the pair of them.

Lewis could deal with Nico (most of the time) because, as you say, Nico would allow himself to get drawn into it to hismown detriment.

Contrast that with Alonso, who now seems to be in a happy place psychologically, and as a result he's become the wily old fox of F1, snatching points his car doesn't really deserve, and even managing to mix it with the top 3 teams on occasion. With Lewis' knowledge and experience thats the sort of driver he should be now, but I reckon he's too weak psychologically to be able to do so.

If it's not going completely his way Lewis flouders and is unable to cope with the pressure of expectation and failure. It is starting to become his own undoing.

D

Deleted member 1258

George reckons that theyre on the same contractual terms, other than the pay and perks I suspect! No designated No1 driver, equal access to facilites and testing, no team orders until such point in the season that one might habe a clear and insurmountable lead over the other, that sort of thing. Not that Lewis ever follows team orders anyway, but is always happy to benefit when they're called in has favour.

I'm looking forward to seeing George give Lewis a good snotting in equal gear, and I'm already running a book on the petulant social media whinging Lewis trots out by way of an excuse.

Verstappen refuses to become involved in those off-track psychological games, and Lewis doesn't like that.

Max is is equal in sheer ability, the car's are closer this year, and Lewis' favourite piece of gamesmanship does't work on Max, and it's showing in Lewis' demanour, which in turn is doubtless affecting his performance.

George is another one who refuses to indulge in these sort of games, either face to face or in the media, so Lewis will also struggle to respond the the challenge he is going to present next year, because on sheer driving abulity alone he doesn't have the edge on the pair of them.

Lewis could deal with Nico (most of the time) because, as you say, Nico would allow himself to get drawn into it to hismown detriment.

Contrast that with Alonso, who now seems to be in a happy place psychologically, and as a result he's become the wily old fox of F1, snatching points his car doesn't really deserve, and even managing to mix it with the top 3 teams on occasion. With Lewis' knowledge and experience thats the sort of driver he should be now, but I reckon he's too weak psychologically to be able to do so.

If it's not going completely his way Lewis flouders and is unable to cope with the pressure of expectation and failure. It is starting to become his own undoing.

I'm looking forward to the Lewis and Russel show next year, it has the potential to get entertaining.

byegad

Legendary Member

Yes, totally agree. Given that the start and first few corners, especially at Monza, are where things can go badly wrong through no fault of the victim(s), the idea of having two goes at it seems designed to mix up the result and artificially create drama. I for one think it smacks of rating chasing and not prototype racing of the highest standard with cars that are the fastest they can be made within the design rule book.

Top Bottom