Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

IMHO Alex's racecraft and maturity is way better than Max's at this stage in his career.
Totally agree
I'm not so sure. I think this is more a reflection of how much *better* Lewis is than everyone else. Doesn't matter who you put in the second car, they're all going to look ordinary no matter who they are.
Not convinced, I'd like to see him pushed more, as I think if you did he'd be even better.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Not convinced, I'd like to see him pushed more, as I think if you did he'd be even better.

The trouble is, who would be good enough to do just that, at this point in time? :scratch:

D

Deleted member 26715

The trouble is, who would be good enough to do just that, at this point in time? :scratch:
I don't know, one of the young guns, Ocon has talent, I'd like to see Russell in a competitive car, I'm sure there are others in the Merc stable, they missed both Sainz & Ricciardo. I think Bottas is a very good driver on his day, but he doesn't have enough days, he's a reasonable No2, but the car is flattering him currently. I'm sad to say this because when he was at Williams I was all for giving him the drive, but he just hasn't lived up to the promise.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I don't know.

My point exactly. There really isn't anyone at the moment.

I think Bottas is a very good driver on his day, but he doesn't have enough days, he's a reasonable No2, but the car is flattering him currently. I'm sad to say this because when he was at Williams I was all for giving him the drive, but he just hasn't lived up to the promise.

If we took Lewis out of the equation, then Valtteri would be talked about as one of the best of his generation.

Those of us who lived through the 1980s, where you had Prost, Senna, Piquet, Mansell, Lauda et al all pushing each other to the limit, don't realise how lucky we were to have had so many top class drivers racing in F1 at the same time. They all had their strengths and weaknesses, so it was very much swings and roundabouts between them.

Can't say much about the 60s and 70s, as I only started watching motor racing halfway through the 1982 season...

classic33

Leg End Member
If you watch the two Ferrari's, you can see that the rear of Vettels rear(driven) wheel makes contact with the front(undriven) wheel on Leclercs car.

Two wheels, with the opposite sides making contact. Leclercs car can be seen to lift slightly on the right front.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
If you watch the two Ferrari's, you can see that the rear of Vettels rear(driven) wheel makes contact with the front(undriven) wheel on Leclercs car.

Two wheels, with the opposite sides making contact. Leclercs car can be seen to lift slightly on the right front.

I think Seb knew exactly what he was doing there, drifting across the line like that. But there had been a fair bit of tit-for-tat prior to that. Sort of reminiscent of Plato v Sutton at Snett this year... :tongue:

classic33

Leg End Member
I think Seb knew exactly what he was doing there, drifting across the line like that. But there had been a fair bit of tit-for-tat prior to that. Sort of reminiscent of Plato v Sutton at Snett this year... :tongue:
Didn't get of Scott free though, did he?

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Didn't get of Scott free though, did he?

True, but both Jason and Ash carried on, and JP was chucked to the back of the grid for the next race.

I think - and I can see where the stewards were coming from on this one - that the reason Seb and Charles both got off scott free was that they were out of the race on the spot after that moment of argy-bargy.

Now I don't think they *should* have gotten off scott free, especially since they effectively kiboshed Lance Stroll's race thanks to the debris they left on the circuit. OK, we've been moaning about the stewards all season - the only consistent thing about them is their inconsistency - but IMHO the sporting regs are as much, if not more to blame for the current omnishambles.

I'd prefer to see a touring car style penalty system instead, where you let the cars race, no silly and ineffective time penalties except for clear safety violations e.g. unsafe release from pit stop, but then grid drop penalties are applied for the next race, and / or demotion in the results to behind the driver that was impeded.

Drago

Legendary Member
I think that was knock for knock. In Vettels defence he was squeezed a bit tight, is entitled to make a single defensive manoeuvre, and LeClerc's front wheel was not forward of Vettels rear so the sporting regulations give Vettel the priority and pit the bonus on Leclerc to yield.

In Leclercs defence Vettels move wasnt necessary, as Vettell had apexed the previous corner later and was carrying more speed so would have stayed ahead anyway, they weren't in a DRS zone so Leclrec couldn't have immediately come back at him, and Vettel knew exactly where Ledrerc was, and hes a racer so isnt going to yield unless he really has to (although it could be argued that he really did have to and suffered the consequences of not doing so).

I think the Marshall's made the right call. They both got punished for it by losing all the points they were up for.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
It's difficult initially when you're listening on the radio - you can only go by what the commentators say. But watching the highlights later, both were culpable - albeit not entirely equally.

Neither were in the right, but Seb was more in the wrong than Charles if you see what I mean.

The bit that irks me, is that Seb has a history of taking drivers (and teammates) out if things aren't going his way, so yes, I think this should have been taken into account when the stewards made their decision.

D

Deleted member 1258

It's difficult initially when you're listening on the radio - you can only go by what the commentators say. But watching the highlights later, both were culpable - albeit not entirely equally.

Neither were in the right, but Seb was more in the wrong than Charles if you see what I mean.

The bit that irks me, is that Seb has a history of taking drivers (and teammates) out if things aren't going his way, so yes, I think this should have been taken into account when the stewards made their decision.

They called both drivers to a meeting at Maranello to discuss the incident afterwards.

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/934346/1/ferrari-summon-drivers-maranello-inquest-after-brazil-crash

Top Bottom