MOT's extended due to Covid-19

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
It seems the extension also applies to new vehicles needing their first MOT.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronav...s-vans-and-motorcycles-due-from-30-march-2020

Yes, that seems to confirm it. I think i'll put a new tyre on the front and tax it for a year. Then i know i can use it as soon as restrictions are lifted.

I've skimmed the posts on all 6 pages but the answer to my Q hasn't jumped out at me.

If you elect to take the 6 month extension, is the MOT back dated to your original expiry date or does it run from the actual date of test?

Mine is due on 9th June, so I know it's auto extended until 9th December.
So if I chose to leave it until December would my next MOT still be June 2021 or December 2021?

Might be obvious but someone asked me today, I didn't know, and I've tied myself in knots about it since, and the gov.uk website doesn't seem to answer it for me.

T.I.A. :cheers:

Landsurfer

Veteran
Had the camper van MOT'd 2 days ago ... at the usual garage for the usual price .... with the usual advisories ...(lol)
Due to our childcare commitments (and some stuff about a virus) it's only done 20 miles since the last MOT ....:rolleyes:

Landsurfer

Veteran
Its from the date of the test. If it passes, you get your year.
It was, we did. :smile:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Unleaded came about early seventies.

1986 in the UK -
according to google anyway

Edit: I should add that it was talked about for years before it finally came in. It is also claimed that the reduced crime rate, particularly low
level violence (it supposedly is much less than a few decades ago) could well be associated with the lack of lead poisoning during children's developmental years, particularly in poorer inner city areas who had the most traffic ergo
most lead in the air

Last edited:
Top Bottom