MOT's extended due to Covid-19

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
Not necessarily disagreeing but my first car, a Mk 2 Cortina, had been lying idle for 6 years, and after checking the plugs, new battery, and a bit of fiddling about it just fired up. I certainly didn't drain the petrol, and don't even recall topping it up. It was a while later that I learnt you were supposed to use fresh petrol, for the reasons you mention. Granted a '60s Ford carburettor might not be quite assophisticated or have the fine tolerances of a motorcycle carb, but still ...

Petrol isn't the same now as it was back in those days.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Petrol isn't the same now as it was back in those days.

A yes, it didn't contain all the nasty stuff it has in it these days, well, apart from tetraethyl lead

I believe it still does, but @Richard A Thackeray mentioned his isn't due until the end of June so that wouldn't apply

Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I decided to book it in
Pass

However, when I'm loaded (4 passengers) sometimes, there's clonking on speed-humps/etc..
It turned out, that when it was up on the ramp for inspection, a rear-spring had moved, hence the noise, a re-seat & all fine
(same garage only fitted them, in September)

It's covered less than 5,800 miles since MoT test last June:rolleyes:

EDIT
Tuesday 5th @ 10:40

In the last 12,000 miles, it's had......
(all 'Wear & Tear' items though!!)

4 x new brake-discs
4 x new (sets of) brake-pads
Change of brake-fluid (too much moisture, it's hygroscopic)
4 x tyres
2 x rear shock-absorbers
2 x rear springs
2.x front 'struts' (shock-absorbers)

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Not necessarily disagreeing but my first car, a Mk 2 Cortina, had been lying idle for 6 years, and after checking the plugs, new battery, and a bit of fiddling about it just fired up. I certainly didn't drain the petrol, and don't even recall topping it up. It was a while later that I learnt you were supposed to use fresh petrol, for the reasons you mention. Granted a '60s Ford carburettor might not be quite assophisticated or have the fine tolerances of a motorcycle carb, but still ...
Petrol contained lead up to 1999, and I'd guess you had your Mk2 well before that?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

I don't think run of the milk Mk2s are worth much; a 1600E or a Lotus maybe, particularly the latter
I think you'd be surprised, probably getting into 5 figures now for a good example of a lowly 1.3

figbat

Slippery scientist
As you can now renew mot's up to 6 months after expiry, will this mot be for 12 months, or just up to the original expiry date next year ?
This isn't quite right but I have seen it written like this in a few places. You are not renewing "up to 6 months after expiry". The expiry date of existing MOTs is being extended by 6 months, so they will not expire until 6 months later than originally. My motorbike was due to expire 14 April - the expiry is now 14 October. I didn't do anything, it just happened automatically. It means that now instead of riding to the test in the spring showers I get to go in the autumn storms.

You can check online when your MOT expiry is.

Smudge

Veteran
This isn't quite right but I have seen it written like this in a few places. You are not renewing "up to 6 months after expiry". The expiry date of existing MOTs is being extended by 6 months, so they will not expire until 6 months later than originally. My motorbike was due to expire 14 April - the expiry is now 14 October. I didn't do anything, it just happened automatically. It means that now instead of riding to the test in the spring showers I get to go in the autumn storms.

You can check online when your MOT expiry is.

It doesn't say online when my MOT expires, because it doesn't currently have an MOT. The bike is coming up to 3 years old, so it will be its first MOT.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

It doesn't say online when my MOT expires, because it doesn't currently have an MOT. The bike is coming up to 3 years old, so it will be its first MOT.
That's an interesting one, I would have thought the intention was to make it need one at 3.5 years from date of first registration, but that is an assumption & not based on fact, but that would be within the spirit of the extension.

Smudge

Veteran
That's an interesting one, I would have thought the intention was to make it need one at 3.5 years from date of first registration, but that is an assumption & not based on fact, but that would be within the spirit of the extension.

I wonder if i will be sent a notification that the vehicle will be due its first MOT. I'm sure i've had these in the past with 3 yr old vehicles i've owned.

Top Bottom