MOT's extended due to Covid-19

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Daughters expires, 17th May (first date, 'for presentation' is 18th April)
Just phoned regular garage up. & "yes", I can take it at any point, but if it's more than 'a month & a day' prior to official expiry, it's only valid from that date
(even if her 'present' certificate is whilst May)

Fine by me, for peace of mind!:okay:

Booked it in, for Monday AM

Last edited:
My car was due for mot in mid April. Whilst I could have let it over run, I guess that there will then be a huge rush to get cars "caught up" in the Autumn, so I sent mine in today. It's not like I'm going anywhere in it at present! Passed with 2 advisories, one being a tyre that is legal but not for too much longer, the other being a little precautionary welding required to a sill. I will get this done in next couple of weeks, while the garage is quiet...

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
It may, if it's after the 'officially due' date?
Yes, it's still up to you to keep the vehicle road-worthy, as it is '365', but without that statuary check, could the insurance companies go that route?

Yes, it's a condition of the insurance policy to keep the car in a safe and roadworthy condition (or words to that effect).

So, if you were to have a crash as a consequence of having 4 bald tyres then it's likely your claim would be rejected regardless of the car having an MOT or not.

The government have been very clear that the test waiver does not absolve the driver from ensuring that the car is in roadworthy condition.

Drago

Legendary Member
Technically, it's not a waiver but an extension. According to the DVLA website the 6 month extension will appear either on the day the ticket is due to expire, or up to 3 or 4 days prior. It won't be the case that people will have an exemption to be driving about with no valid MOT, but that existing MOT's will be extended. Aside from new vehicles and historic registered vehicles, all will still need a valid ticket to venture forth.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Found out yesterday that MOT's for HGV's have also been suspended which is a little worrying I think, I know they are professionally serviced but things do break. Not sure if routine service checks have to be adhered to or whether they have been shelved as well, son's mate who is a HGV fitter has been furloughed from his firm along with the only other mechanic

keithmac

Guru
My mate works for DVSA and they've been furloughed for 3 months so no HGV tests.

I'm still MOT'ing motorcycles.

The rule is if test was due on 30th March or later you automatically get a 6 month extension.

I really don't know why some people are worried about MOT, the standard for a "pass" is well bellow what I'd gauge as a service standard..

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

I really don't know why some people are worried about MOT, the standard for a "pass" is well bellow what I'd gauge as a service standard..
You & me both, but we also know that for some people the only time a car gets looked at is at the MOT, rest of the time all they do is put fuel in

My Octavia's going for its MoT test later this morning
Same garage

Although, 'officially', it's not due till near the end of June

Smudge

Veteran
As you can now renew mot's up to 6 months after expiry, will this mot be for 12 months, or just up to the original expiry date next year ?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

It will be from today for 12 months as per normal rules, unless of course we are still in lockdown, then who knows.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Under normal circumstances you can present a vehicle for an MOT up to a month before the current certificate expires, meaning you can get a 13 month certificate.
Not sure if that still applies under the current situation?

Smudge

Veteran
In this month, i need an mot on one of my bikes. For which i will also need to get a new front tyre. Plus VED is due shortly after. So about £230 cost when i cant ride it atm.
Or i could sorn it for the time being.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
And boy, does unleaded go off! My last bike was a GPZ500s that had been stored for two years. The petrol smelled like White Spirit and the engine sounded like it was going to explode. The carbs needed a full stripdown and clean.

Not necessarily disagreeing but my first car, a Mk 2 Cortina, had been lying idle for 6 years, and after checking the plugs, new battery, and a bit of fiddling about it just fired up. I certainly didn't drain the petrol, and don't even recall topping it up. It was a while later that I learnt you were supposed to use fresh petrol, for the reasons you mention. Granted a '60s Ford carburettor might not be quite assophisticated or have the fine tolerances of a motorcycle carb, but still ...

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Under normal circumstances you can present a vehicle for an MOT up to a month before the current certificate expires, meaning you can get a 13 month certificate.
Not sure if that still applies under the current situation?
I believe it still does, but @Richard A Thackeray mentioned his isn't due until the end of June so that wouldn't apply

Top Bottom