MOT's extended due to Covid-19

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
Mines due in march...2023 :smile:

Don’t think it will be extended that long.

Gunk

Guru
And boy, does unleaded go off! My last bike was a GPZ500s that had been stored for two years. The petrol smelled like White Spirit and the engine sounded like it was going to explode. The carbs needed a full stripdown and clean.

Lovely little bikes, I had one as a hack a few years ago, I wish I’d have kept it, they’re great to ride.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Tyres are the one element that I never go cheap or used on. After all, they’re the main thing keeping me the right way up on the road.

Smudge

Veteran
Tyres are the one element that I never go cheap or used on. After all, they’re the main thing keeping me the right way up on the road.

I never buy cheap crap tyres. But neither will i buy expensive, super sticky or ones that get low mileage. Its hard to get a bad tyre nowadays from well known makes, so it generally comes down to these three criteria.
For price V handling V mileage.... I use Pirelli Diablo Strada on my street bikes. My local mc shop will do these for £100 for a 180 rear and £70 for a 120 front. Inc fitting, ride in ride out.

Not a good move, sadly, for those who don't keep safety related items 'up to scratch'

Will this exemption be taken into account, in any RTCs?
Ie;
- Is the vehicle deemed unroadworthy?
- Would a MoT test have picked up the fault?

Please understand, I'm not wanting to put testers, etc at risk

Just 'thinking ahead'
My Octavias MoT test certificate expires in June, wifes C-HR is still less than 3 years old
I will be speaking to my trusted garage about daughters car, as that's a May expiry

Plus;
If it is involved in RTC, who decides if 'your' car was road-worthy at that point?
There may be an 'independent assessor' appointed...….. by the insurance company...…..
So, who would they side with?

Cynical Thought....
Obviously, you could appoint your own examiner, but doubtless he/she would mainly work for the insurance companies, so why risk any future work by ruling against them

Wodman

Über Member
Got my Audi back from the body shop yesterday after some clown reshaped the front end by cutting a corner. Missed the MOT appointment I had made nice and early because it was in the ‘shop’. MOT expires on March 27th. Most of the local MOT places (rural Dorset) have all shut up shop so it looks I might have to SORN it until all of this confusion is over.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

The question will be does it have a current MOT, the answer is Yes, There might be others asked when inspected, if it was dangerous from anything from 1 hour to 18 months is Dangerous time has nothing to do with it.

The question will be does it have a current MOT, the answer is Yes, There might be others asked when inspected, if it was dangerous from anything from 1 hour to 18 months is Dangerous time has nothing to do with it.
Maybe so, but something could have been picked up at a MoT test, done 'on the date', which may not manifest itself till a 1,000miles down the road

Call me cynical. but....

As an aside
My trusted garage is still open, & I think I'll phone them to ask about getting daughters car in with them, for my 'peace of mind' if nothing else
Also, it seems they're offering free MoT tests to NHS staff :notworthy:

I'll pay though, at least it's a few £ going into their till

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Maybe so, but something could have been picked up at a MoT test, done 'on the date', which may not manifest itself till a 1,000miles down the road
No I understand your point, I have a 1972 Beetle which doesn't need an MOT, but I'll be taking it for one though once all this is over, for £40 a year I'd rather somebodies 'expert' eyes run over it, it's not also possible to see things that are obvious once up on a lift.

Top Bottom