MOTs for bikes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
theres a world of difference between a scabby looking beater thats SAFE to ride, and a bike that has very little in the way of being able to be operated safely. brakes that work is a good start. tyres the wrong way round isn't a major issue. but under inflated tyres , bald tyres ( by this i mean the ply layer showing through, like one of mybikes had as a kid :whistle: ) can cause problems

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
If you happen to notice that somone has got one of their tires on the wrong way around should you tell them?
Tyres fitted the wrong way round is not necessarily a mistake. Most directional tyres are designed to give best grip under braking so some mountain bikers deliberately reverse the rear tyre for better traction. I have experimented with this on one of my old bikes and it does seem to work.

Chutzpah

Über Member
I think you can talk to someone politely without being overbearing. Avoid words like "wreck" and "death trap" and you should be OK, a quick bit of practical advice shouldn't be bad (I had to do this to a colleague who turned up to work on a bike with two inch slits in the sidewalls of both tyres :blink: )

On a slightly different note, I did once politely say to a lady at some lights that her helmet was next to useless at the angle she had it (pointing upwards at a 30 degree angle, with the neck strap loose too). Unfortunately she didn't take it well as I wasn't wearing one - I think she thought I was being sarcastic.

Approaching strangers and giving them a lecture about the state of their bikes is a sure-fire way of having less teeth to clean every morning.

That's harsh imo. Hardly a lecture, more just saying how potentially dangerous the bike could be, or is that a friend/relative of yours lying on the ground at a crossing because someone on a bike cannot stop?

Top Bottom