MOTs for bikes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sidevalve

Über Member
Thought that would get your attention !
No I don't really mean it, however I've started looking at groups of bikes recently in uni car parks outside pubs etc and seem to see a trend, there seems to be three types, 1- the cyclist, bike may or may not be clean but everything is adjusted and works a treat. 2- new or newish, may or may not be adjusted but still works ok [ish]. 3- the heap, rusty, manky and not much works.
Saw one the other day rusty chain, worn out tyres etc but only one brake and that held together with a very rusty loose bolt. I asked the guy about it and he said" ah, it'll be ok. It's only a bike" not much I could say to that, and off he went.
Maybe it would be an idea to have a look round your college, workplace etc and if you see a risky item just be nice a tell the guy. You can't help some folk and I suspect most of us do our best, but it's always worth another look.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Are you planning to be a police officer a traffic warden or a member of the clergy? If not, I would suggest you mind your own business. I cannot see what it has to do with you what I, or anyone else rides. We certainly don`t need saving, some of us don`t want saving.

Steve

simon.r

Person
Are you planning to be a police officer a traffic warden or a member of the clergy? If not, I would suggest you mind your own business. I cannot see what it has to do with you what I, or anyone else rides. We certainly don`t need saving, some of us don`t want saving.

Steve

No need for that response IMHO. No harm in pointing out to someone that their brakes may fail...they may be genuinely unaware. There's a difference between that and being an interfering busy-body.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
"Saw one the other day rusty chain, worn out tyres etc but only one brake and that held together with a very rusty loose bolt. I asked the guy about it and he said" ah, it'll be ok. It's only a bike"

You really don`t think he knew his bike was a heap of junk don`t you?

Some people don`t care what their bikes are like. They are not "cylists", they use them to get around. Let them get on with it.

Steve

subaqua

What’s the point
"Saw one the other day rusty chain, worn out tyres etc but only one brake and that held together with a very rusty loose bolt. I asked the guy about it and he said" ah, it'll be ok. It's only a bike"

You really don`t think he knew his bike was a heap of junk don`t you?

Some people don`t care what their bikes are like. They are not "cylists", they use them to get around. Let them get on with it.

Steve

until they can't stop and hurt somebody , but its alright they are not cyclists and they don'tcare.

few too many carlsbergs in you in think

Cyclopathic

Veteran
If you happen to notice that somone has got one of their tires on the wrong way around should you tell them? The thing is where does one draw the line? I suspect that people who are riding an old clunker know full well how badly it may handle and operate and ride accordingly. It isn't like it's a car where they can perhaps afford to have an accident and not get injured. On a bike the rider has got a fairly well inbuilt reason not to be too reckless so I reckon it's nobodies business what state a bike is in because I doubt very much that it will result in anyone getting hurt for the afore mentioned reasons.

Linford

Steve

There is also the issue that people may need saving from you :whistle: ;)

classic33

Leg End Member
If you happen to notice that somone has got one of their tires on the wrong way around should you tell them? The thing is where does one draw the line? I suspect that people who are riding an old clunker know full well how badly it may handle and operate and ride accordingly. It isn't like it's a car where they can perhaps afford to have an accident and not get injured. On a bike the rider has got a fairly well inbuilt reason not to be too reckless so I reckon it's nobodies business what state a bike is in because I doubt very much that it will result in anyone getting hurt for the afore mentioned reasons.

Try telling the car driver, that the ninja hit when he couldn't stop because of the state of the bike he was on. Travelling dowhill, at speed, being clever! & went to overtake a bus that was pulling away from the stop. Car driver mounted the pavement to try & avoid him. He nearly succeeded.

Seen last night.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Who's going to steal an old rusty pub bike, that's only worth about 50p at best, smart thinking on the owners behalf ;)

There is a lot of common sense in that: sometimes I take my old car boot sale bike to town, it's far less attractive to thieves than my new one. Everything ( except the gears :blush:) works, but the frame is a bit rusty, old handlebars, old pedals and so on.
I would not mind somebody telling me about worn tires or the like, don't really have the knowledge to tell somebody else off about the state of their rides, if I had that knowledge I would keep quiet, unless asked - or unless I was a lbs person!

tyred

Legendary Member
There are many reasons for riding around on a heap of shoot. I do maintain my bikes very well but I live in a remote area and all of rides are likely to be at least a reasonable distance if I'm actually going somewhere.

However, if I did live in a large town, I would probably keep a "skip rescue" BSO, or a £5 BSO from a car boot sale or charity shop for pottering around town and would ride it until it literally self destructed or heaven forbid, got stolen. Then, I would repeat the exercise. There is a lot of advantages in doing this and I wouldn't leave any of my nice bikes chained up to a lamp-post all day.

Top Bottom