Mouldy Brooks saddle. What to do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I keep a few bikes and other things in a lock up garage about a mile from home. I only pop in once every couple of months.

It doesn't seem very damp but my Brooks B17 on an unused (mostly!) touring bike builds up a layer of green mould over that time. A wipe with a cloth sorts it. A much lighter layer forms on the bar tape of a road bike.

Any suggestions on prevention. Sadly no option to improve ventilation! I was thinking of oil etc of some sort. If not I will just live with it!

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
I used to use "Neets foot oil" it's for saddles and tack.
I believe that brooks do their own saddle conditioning oil/cream.

HTH

12boy

Guru
Googling mold removal I found that tea tree oil is effective when mixed with water and sprayed or rubbed into porous surfaces. Unfortunately, mold only grows in moist environments which can rust unprotected steel. I would consider, if you have not done this, protect the inside of any steel frame bikes you are storing there. Good luck with this, mold is nasty stuff.

if you cant improve ventilation , try putting a couple of trays of cat litter in the garage to absorb any moisture
It isn't as simple as that. You'll have to put a few wheelbarrow fulls of silica gel in the average shed, nevermind garage, to change the level of humidity. And then bake it every few days to dry them out. Not worth it. But it isn't a bad idea if you put the cat litter in a plastic bag that's then tied over the saddle.
Normally the cure for anything to do with Brooks is to get a proper plastic saddle but in this case I'm sad to say that even plastic gets mouldy.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
For those for and against Brooks, the saddle is on my Koga Miyata World Traveller as used here www.jmhr.com. I have additionally bought a Ridgeback Panorama as a slightly lighter tourer and that has a Spoon. The battle is on to see how they compare!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I've only ever proofided the top of the saddle, and still sometimes get a bit of mould. Just wipe it off as it forms.

Top Bottom