Mountain bike commuter tire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4

Other videos involving cable ties or shoelaces exist.....

Wow... so... complicated...

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have read/seen all of the tales of difficult fitting, I was even hesitant of buying them as a result, but, having bought them, like @Andy in Germany , I have not experienced any problem getting them on the rims, and, can do it without tyre levers.
Wow... so... complicated...
Maybe Schwalbe reacted to early reports and made the bead slightly bigger on later tyres?

Maybe Schwalbe reacted to early reports and made the bead slightly bigger on later tyres?

Possibly; they have made new moulds for marathons a couple of years back, but I've been using them and fitting them ever since they were first sold; at the time I worked in a bike shop and they are very popular amongst local cyclists, so I got a of practice.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I like Skol said:
Heavy beyond belief (I once picked one up in a branch of Halfords just out of curiosity. I quickly put it back down again before my arm broke [This is half true, obviously my arm was not at risk of breaking but the weight was so shocking I had to check I hadn't accidentally picked up two tyres bundled together or inside each other]), harsh ride, questionable grip/handling and the real one of notoriety is the reluctance to go on/off the rim for fitting or if you do get a flat tyre for any reason.

M+ are pretty heavy admittedly, but I don't consider regular Marathons to be that bad. They roll easy and I don't consider them to be lacking in grip or being that hard to mount or demount. I can get them on without using tyre levers fairly easily if I bind the tyre to the rim at one position, and getting them off I just use a tyre lever at the start until I can get my fingers under the gap then I pull the bead out by hand.

If you are the kind of person who gets your helpful LBS to fit your new tyres and fix any punctures and would phone for a family member to rescue you in the case of a flat tyre then the Marathons might be for you, but otherwise I would recomend using something a bit more user friendly.

I'm hardcore DIY when it comes to maintenance and repairs. No bike of mine will be seeing the inside of a LBS all the time I own it. I reckon you should have that extra Weetabix in the morning, you can fit Marathons by hand after three of them. :laugh:

D

Deleted member 23692

2.35" Schwalbe Super Motos (Big Apple's lightweght brother) for me... Big apples do go up to this size though and look F hot on MTB's

MTB front.JPG

Top Bottom