Mountain Trike - Hand-powered MTB wheelchair (and Experience Community)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
Shopping in Tesco's at the weekend I noticed a guy wheeling around on one of these:

bwirlb3imaaczja[1].jpg

A seriously heavy-duty looking bit of kit, and not something I'd seen before, so I stopped and asked him about it. He was very friendly and explained it was a Mountain Trike: http://www.mountaintrike.com/product/mountain-trike/

He'd first tried one on a free-trial day with a group called Experience Community (a not-for-profit company) - www.experiencecommunity.co.uk - who do taster and training sessions, as well as weekly rambles, and even residential breaks. He even had a leaflet handy in his backpack - and I was so busy chatting about the trike that I forgot to ask his name, but this is him and his wife at 0:18 (in the middle with the bright green trike).

I'm posting about the trike and Experience Community in case they are of any interest to anyone coming to CC looking for hand bike info or a group to ramble with.

Be prepared to spend a good deal on one though, they're not cheap at £4395 (Feb 2016).

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I saw a piece on countryfile a year or so ago, which showed something like that being used out in the countryside. Pity it's so expensive.

Shopping in Tesco's at the weekend I noticed a guy wheeling around on one of these:

View attachment 118356

A seriously heavy-duty looking bit of kit, and not something I'd seen before, so I stopped and asked him about it. He was very friendly and explained it was a Mountain Trike: http://www.mountaintrike.com/product/mountain-trike/

He'd first tried one on a free-trial day with a group called Experience Community (a not-for-profit company) - www.experiencecommunity.co.uk - who do taster and training sessions, as well as weekly rambles, and even residential breaks. He even had a leaflet handy in his backpack - and I was so busy chatting about the trike that I forgot to ask his name, but this is him and his wife at 0:18 (in the middle with the bright green trike).

I'm posting about the trike and Experience Community in case they are of any interest to anyone coming to CC looking for hand bike info or a group to ramble with.

Be prepared to spend a good deal on one though, they're not cheap at £4395 (Feb 2016).

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Wow,those tyres would grace my bike splendidly
What a great idea

A couple of years ago we went up to the Lakes and took the mobility scooter on the trail beside Catbells

I would take the scooter ahead, walk back to join the wife then walk at her pace with the crutches to rejoin the scooter .... It eans tyat we cn walk as far as she can manage

Then we mat a couple of "Ramblers" who took exception to the scooter, wanting to know why it was on a footpath!

Couldn't resist ....

Introduced my self as the President of the "Off Road Scooter Club" and explained that we were sussing out the track as a venue for an off road Mobility Soooter race

We would be looking at some 500 participants in various classes racing along the trail

Their faces were a spectacle, and I can only imagine the grinking to the local press

Top Bottom