Mounting a Garmin Edge in front of handlebars.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Saw one on the garmin stand at the cycle show, nice looking bit of kit but retails at 35 quid so won't be getting one. Launches sometime this month but could have pre ordered one.

zophiel

Veteran
Racewear direct one's are plastic, not sure how strong they are. If they are good and anyone can vouch for them, then I might buy one! If only because mounting my light battery under the stem means I have to push my Garmin right toward the bottom of the stem.

I have one I ordered last week. Its very strong, mounted easily, doesn't move once tightened fully. The garmin 500 I use sits in tightly. Its had a rough week with weather and bad roads where we live and its fine. Will post a pic later.

Here's my Flip Loc one that came last week.
fliploc.jpg

It's not the greatest pic as it makes it looks wonky, but I'd just not postioned it properly :whistle:

I'll take a better one next time I'm out.

Be aware, I got slapped by customs to the tune of about £12.50 for this, which puts it in K-Edge territory price wise, but I'd rather have the Flip Loc one than an the alu K-Edge TBH.

Trickydicky666

I know i'm late to this thread but have also had similar issues, my MTB has 25.4mm bars but but my road bikes are all 31.8mm. I have been using the sram out front mount which are absolutely superb, easy to install and sits infront of the stem perfectly. The only real way to solve the 25.4mm bar issue is to buy a bar shim. you can pick them up on ebay for a few quid. then you can mount any of the original or copy mounts to your bars. I've paid £11 for the sram mount and £3.8 for the shim. less than £15 all done and rock solid which is important on an mtb, it makes life very easy switching the 800 between bikes. I've had to do this as my MTB stem rises at 45 degrees and makes reading the screen an ordeal! I also agree with many of the thread contributors regarding £30-£40 for a piece of plastic is outrageous. and to the guys that have made stem bolt mounts i salute you, that is a much better idea than the main manufacturers have come up with.

RWright

Guru
I have been using a K-Edge for six months, I use it about every day and it hasn't done any damage to my Edge 800. Still as secure as day one. I was curious how much they are here now and found one on Amazon for $30 with free shipping. I ordered another one for my other road bike. I had read about the issues with cutting the plastic on the computer but watched it very carefully at first. I was prepared to do some light filing if necessary but I never had to do anything.

I like these DIY ones I saw on this thread. :thumbsup: I thought about doing one myself but I thought by the time I added up the time I personally would require to do it and the amount of blood I might lose, that I would just pay the 30 bucks.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have been using a K-Edge for six months, I use it every day and it hasn't done any damage to my Edge 800. Still as secure as day one. I was curious how much they are here now and found one on Amazon for $30 with free shipping. I ordered another one for my other road bike. I had read about the issues with cutting the plastic on the computer but watched it very carefully at first. I was prepared to do some light filing if necessary but I never had to do anything.

I like these DIY ones I saw on this thread. :thumbsup: I thought about doing one myself but I thought by the time I added up the time I personally would require to do it and the amount of blood I might lose, that I would just pay the 30 bucks.

The same. Have heard about the reports about the K-Edge damaging the computer. 6 months down the line I haven't had any problems what so ever with it. I think it's because some people are more ham-fisted then others.

shortone

Ive just purchased the newer K_edge which has a plastic insert in which to locate the edge. Looks like they knew there was an issue and have taken steps to rectify the problem.

Top Bottom