Mounting a Garmin Edge in front of handlebars.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Veteran
Just fettled from a bit of box section aluminium, polished a bit so as not to chafe the o'rings and bolted to the bike using the top 2 stem bolts (had to get a couple of slightly longer bolts for about a quid off ebay).

004a.jpg

004b.jpg

007.jpg

The whole thing took about an hour to make and cost a couple of quid. It's hard to tell from the picture but there's 2 o'rings for extra security but to be honest it's rock solid, you can pick the bike up by the bracket :laugh:
Took it for a 50 mile test run and it works a treat, much easier to see and read.

OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Veteran
Must admit, the aluminium mount (K-Edge) on a plastic Edge 800 did give me some concerns. My thinking was that by using the original Garmin mount I'd solve this problem and also should anything wear out I won't have voided the warrantee.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Just fettled from a bit of box section aluminium, polished a bit so as not to chafe the o'rings and bolted to the bike using the top 2 stem bolts (had to get a couple of slightly longer bolts for about a quid off ebay).

View attachment 11892

View attachment 11893

View attachment 11894

The whole thing took about an hour to make and cost a couple of quid. It's hard to tell from the picture but there's 2 o'rings for extra security but to be honest it's rock solid, you can pick the bike up by the bracket :laugh:
Took it for a 50 mile test run and it works a treat, much easier to see and read.

Thats excellent you should sell those.

lejogger

Guru
No, nothing that clever, just a junior hacksaw, a file and some wet and dry. Made it on the edge of my computer table as I was surfing CC :laugh:

You've done a really good job there...

I'm guessing your PM mailbox might be a bit fuller than usual this week as I'd say a lot of people on here would probably pay £15+ for one of those given the cost of the K- Edge.

Scruffmonster

Über Member

That's beautiful. There's money to be made there if you have the time and desire to churn some out. Any reason you couldn't do the same from a tough plastic?

OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Veteran
That's beautiful. There's money to be made there if you have the time and desire to churn some out. Any reason you couldn't do the same from a tough plastic?
The torque loading of the stem bolts might crack it, if not at the time then after a few hours of cycling the constant vibration might do it in.
That was why I decided to make it out of a piece of pre-formed Aluminium rather than start with a sheet and put the bend in (Aluminium can become very brittle as it work hardens when bent unless you heat treat it).

Top Bottom