Mounting GoPro mount on helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoeWakefield03

Hi guys, I have a sixsixone Recon helmet and I don’t know where to attach my GoPro mount in a solid, decent position. I have been considering the side but I want it to be central on the top of the helmet so I was wondering if I can file down a section on top of the helmet to allow a mount to be stuck on?
Thanks for any advice
(Added pictures)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 27
well , yes you can have a go at the helmet with a file but (without wishing to get into a helmet debate) it wouldn't be wise to do so , and then still expect it to do whatever it is you expect it to do.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Last edited:

Slick

Guru
I would reconsider the helmet mounting option. There are loads of other options for a gopro, although my favourite is still on the stem as that was the point for me buying the more expensive camera that avoided any shake or wind noise when mounted directly on the bike.

D

Deleted member 23692

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The helmet is of marginal benefit anyway but I'd be worried about the effect of a helmet-mounted camera in a crash. Could it increase leverage on the head and neck?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The helmet is of marginal benefit anyway but I'd be worried about the effect of a helmet-mounted camera in a crash. Could it increase leverage on the head and neck?
It could drive itself through the shell on impact and then into your skull. I don't wear a helmet, but if I did I would never attach any solid object to it. I bet if you asked the manufacturer for advice they'd have a blue fit.

At least you bought an inexpensive helmet in case you start filing. :unsure:

I tried the flat rubber go pro mount that came with my recorder. Hard trying to find the right position for each ride.

Plus every time I tilted my head forward, I would feel the weight of the camera shift the helmet. Helmet secured well but still the shifting annoyed me.

Then I tried the adhesive mount right at the forehead. Cool shots for snowboarders looking back on your face. But also bothersome.

I do much better just using the handlebar and rear saddle rails mounts for both directions. Though planning a long ride with the rear recorder, I have to make arrangements to carry my tools in another location than the seat pack.

I also prefer the steadiness of the solid mounts vs the turning, sliding forward, backward shaking view of the helmet mounts.

BUT IMO, it is better to get a good aluminum mount. I had my GoPro fall at 30 MPH down a mountain road because the cheap plastic go pro mount snapped apart for some reason. Could have been that I tightened it too tight but having to do so as the go pro mount did not hold steady unless it was cranked down.

GET A GOOD MOUNT AND USE A TETHER EVEN IF IT IS A POINT AND SHOOT CAMERA STRAP TAKEN FROM ONE LAYING AROUND.

This is an example of my front and rear recorders.

This is why I suggest a tether of some kind, even a cheap one.

Descending an 8 mile mtn road, 6% grade, at 30 MPH, my cheap go pro mount sheared for some reason. It tumbled about 30 yards. My wife was behind me so luckily she did not hit it as that could have been really damaging at 30 MPH.

had a couple of old broken point and shoots laying around. I removed the strap and used it on the Go Pro.

Go Pro does not have strap hardware but the thin string of the point and shoot strap can easily be looped around the case hing lasso style. If you have good eyes. I use readers and tweezers to handle the procedure. :biggrin:

That little strap to the left. Free! Go Pro tethers are rather expensive for a little bag of 3 or 4.

Capture.JPG

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd get a go-pro mount with a strap, and use a bit of foam to pad out that ridge - if you are going that way. Loads of MTB'ers use chest mounts these days, but again, wouldn't like to 'fall on it'.

Top Bottom