move from 9 speed shimano to 10 speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reacher

Hi, i need to move a bike from 9 speed to 10 speed 5700 shimano can anyone tell me do i need to change the chainset its a compact at the moment 9 speed and with the new shifters will i have to fit 5700 calipers to accommodate the pull on the new shifters or can i use a generic pair like tiagra or others, cheers

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
No you don't need to change the chainset. You probably won't need to change the calipers either - which ones do you have now?

Tim Hall

I did pretty much the same change a couple of years ago. Kept the chainset (Tiagra 9 speed triple) and kept the brake calipers. I think the brake cable pull is slightly different and found braking wasn't as good from the hoods compared to the 9 speed levers. Tinkering with the brake lever position, so my hand got a better position, helped no end.

OP
OP
R

reacher

Ok thanks I'l check on the brakes it's not actually my bike so il have a look what's on their , with the rear mech I need it to potentially take a 29 sprocket at some stage will I need a short or medium according to CR a short cage will go up to a 28 but I wondered if their was a degree of error in that and a 29 will still work, also is their an advantage between short or medium is it better to just go medium cheers

si_c

Guru
I'd throw a 29 on and see how it goes. You may need to adjust the b screw but there's usually wiggle room.

If it doesn't shift or does so badly then think about a medium cage. The only advantage to the short cage really is weight.

OP
OP
R

reacher

ok i can do that but i assumed that the rear mech on their would be no good for ten speed ? thanks for the info though if its just a weight issue then if i need to upgrade i can go for the medium is their any differance in shift quality between the short and medium cages ?

Tim Hall

ok i can do that but i assumed that the rear mech on their would be no good for ten speed ? thanks for the info though if its just a weight issue then if i need to upgrade i can go for the medium is their any differance in shift quality between the short and medium cages ?
I used the same old 105 rear mech I had for 9 speed for the 10 speed set up. The mech capacity figures are generally fairly conservative, so you should be Ok with the existing short cage. Don't sue me if it doesn't work though.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
I ran a 30 rear on a short cage derailer and compact chainset it worked ok but on big ring and the 30 rear the chain got really tight, when i added a couple of links the short cage couldn't take up the slack so the chain was rubbing on itself and i took them off again. i promised myself i could work around it and not ride on big big. But more often than not i forgot and it wore the everything out so badly that after about 2500 miles the chain was slipping around the chainset in most gears. i had to replace the whole transmission. now i use a long cage without any problems.
My advice for what it's worth is fit a long cage derailer 30 quid now will save a couple of hundred down the line.

OP
OP
R

reacher

ok thanks guys, should have enough information to get me started on it

Ajax Bay

Guru
Better that the chain is too long and the RD cage fails to wrap small-small than chain is too short and struggles (cage pointing to 5 or 4 o'clock) when inadvertently large-large which as @tommaguzzi says inevitably happens. Small-small very audibly complains so you can shift at the front immediately to the large chainring, before any wear.

Top Bottom