moving saddle back?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jim55

Guru
i seem to b putting a fair bit of weight through my hands /arms whilst riding on the hoods,will (as iv read elsewhere )moving my seat rearwards a bit put less weight on the hoods ?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
moving my seat rearwards
No it should be forwards to sit more up right

No it should be forwards to sit more up right

I'd agree with this; if you're putting a lot of weight on your hands/arms it would suggest to me that you're too stretched out. By moving the saddle forward, like numbnuts says, you'd be in a more upright position with more support and weight baring from the saddle rather than on your arms/hands.

This is just my observation of course, and I am by no means an expert.

endoman

my saddle was moved back at my bike fit, Let me sit properly on the saddle and took a lot of weight off my hands etc. Without knowing an awful lot more about the OP and how he currently sits it's very difficult to advise.

U

User6179

raise the handlebars by flipping the stem would make the biggest difference , dont think moving the seat or shorter stem would make much difference

Endoman has struck the nail on the head; it's difficult to get advice from here.

Have you thought about getting re-fitted at your LBS?

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
flipping the stem is not an option as its a quill stem,iv already fitted a shorter stem as when i got the bike it had something like a 150 mm on it ,i rode that and it was really stretched out ,just didnt feel right ,i changed it for 120 and it was better so maybe a shorter stem is the way to go (along with putting the seat back to support the weight )
i gen feel that im sliding off the saddle and always pushing myself back on it

djb1971

Legendary Member
Jim, google:

Steve Hogg seat setback

Peter White how to fit a bike

and read the saddle setback sections. Spend an afternoon on a turbo or even riding up and down the street to see how altering things feels. Don't go off what's right for others. My thighs are very long for my legs and my ape index is almost 5 inches so my setback and reach will probably be odd for you. You'll just feel right when the settings are correct. If that doesn't work out it would be worth having a fit to get you 95% happy on the bike then you could tweak it to suit.

My fitting was years ago and almost everything is the same except setback is 1cm more and saddle height is now 15mm higher!

my saddle was moved back at my bike fit, Let me sit properly on the saddle and took a lot of weight off my hands etc. Without knowing an awful lot more about the OP and how he currently sits it's very difficult to advise.

I had the same effect with my last bike, moving the bars higher seemed to increase discomfort in my back, but moving the seat back a bit and increasing my reach meant that my core naturally held my body up a bit and reduced the amount of weight I put through the bars.
I guess the idea would be that if you were standing up and leaning on a chest high wall, you'd probably slouch and put all your weight onto it, but if the wall was lower down you'd only use enough pressure just to balance rather than support your weight.

I am sure it would depend on the bike fit and your own fitness though, but worth not ruling out.

Biker Joe

Über Member
i seem to b putting a fair bit of weight through my hands /arms whilst riding on the hoods,will (as iv read elsewhere )moving my seat rearwards a bit put less weight on the hoods ?
There are differing opinions put forward here as to what you can try and I think that they are all valid.
In the end it comes down to you and your personal requirements as to what you will adjust.
At least now you have some idea as to what you can do to make things more comfortable for you.
I hope that by following the suggestions put forward here you will arrive at a satisfactory conclusion.
I wish you well.

sidevalve

Über Member
Try it. Moving my saddle back worked for me but as others have said the best way is the "suck it and see" method, BUT only change one thing at once. Everyone's different and only you can say what's really comfortable for you.

Top Bottom