Moving to Seattle - Riding Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jen Dvorak

Regular
Hi y'all,

I'll be moving to Seattle this summer and will be looking to buy a home.

I'm looking for advice on where to live.
Here's some thoughts:
  • I'd like to be able to ride to work in Redmond
  • I'd like to be able to live close enough to ride some mtn roads and country roads
  • I'd like to have some great school systems around for my kids
Any suggestions?
Thanks, Jen

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
There is a lively cycling scene in Seattle. Here's one link: http://www.seattlerandonneur.org/
You could try asking on https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups#!forum/randon
It's a mostly US long-distance cycling group, but lot's of off-topic discussion, and a strong Seattle presence.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If you';re not already a member of Adventure Cycling in the US join them, they seem to know about the ins and outs of cycling everywhere in America or, if they don't they know someone who does.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Remember to fit mudguards fenders to your bike - on average, Seattle gets 37 inches of rain a year, and it is raining more than 50% of the time! :thumbsup:

I once met an American couple on a cycling holiday in Spain. They had RAMROD stickers on their bikes so I asked what that was. It turned out that is their club's big annual cycling event - Ride Around Mount Rainier in One Day (link). I think it is oversubscribed every year, but it sounds like a great event so remember to get your name in the event lottery.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Seattle's great!
I used to visit our offices in Redmond regularly and love the area. I can't give you advice on where to live, but know from visiting colleagues houses in the area that there are lots of lovely places around. Good and hilly too, the fault lines are easily visible as you approach Seatac.
I'm very envious! One of my favourite resteraunts is the '5 Spot' in Queen Anne up by the radio mast.
Happy days.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ah, er, okay ...

(I was thinking that mention of mudguards/fenders, 37 inches of rain annually and it raining more than 50% of the time kind of implied the need for waterproofs, but there's no harm in emphasising it!)

Trail Child

My understanding is that Seattle/Tacoma is one of the fittest communities in the US and has great cycling infrastructure. I've never been there, but I've been to Vancouver twice. Both times I never saw the sun until the morning I flew out.

Pedal Bob

Last year (the second wettest on record) the U.K AVERAGED 52.3 inches. I swear I'm moving to Spain when I retire/inherit a fortune/win lottery.

Top Bottom