Moving up a notch after a big ride, advice needed please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

scouserinlondon

OP - join a club. There are varying levels of stamina generally three groups, the social riders who go about 15mph, the middle group for MAMILs who hate acknowledging anyone, ride all over the place, in Lycra and then the fast group which is the wanabee racers in club kit. There are no strings just go along when you feel like it. If you don't then no worries.

Maybe I should MTFU and try one. I think I'm maybe assuming the worse by associating all club riders wit the team kit you crew you mention.

musa

Über Member
I'd be up for a Sunday spin to any of the above. Kent springs to mind as it's known for being flat!

a small number are going to tiptree if your interested but its a real early start but if youd rather not usual ride to Yalding and back ill post the route

Crankarm

Guru
Most clubs are pretty friendly just find the one that is right for you. Chat to the Secretary see of they are ok with you doing a couple of rides to see if you fit in, then if you think they are a goer, then join. Simples.

But bear in mind they will be a club and will have their own rules, ways, etc. of doing things. Follow what every one else does and you should be fine.

OP
OP
S

scouserinlondon

a small number are going to tiptree if your interested but its a real early start but if youd rather not usual ride to Yalding and back ill post the route
I'd be up for it mate, not crazy early but do post up details as I"m keen to ride with other people and get out of the Richmond laps....

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
So plan a ride, get out and do it. If you drive, then take the bike somewhere new on the car and pedal from there. If you dont drive, then plot a route from your doorstep Just get on and pedal.

Crankarm

Guru
I'd be up for it mate, not crazy early but do post up details as I"m keen to ride with other people and get out of the Richmond laps....

Also if you ride with other cyclists out side of a club, are you insured? Most clubs will have cover that protects it's members whilst riding. Unless you have your own insurance you might not be covered. Does the guy next to you have cover in case he stacks it into your bike and you hit the tarmace at 30mph? Just a thought.

OP
OP
S

scouserinlondon

Also if you ride with other cyclists out side of a club, are you insured? Most clubs will have cover that protects it's members whilst riding. Unless you have your own insurance you might not be covered. Does the guy next to you have cover in case he stacks it into your bike and you hit the tarmace at 30mph? Just a thought.

Actually I've just bought insurance via signing up to British cycling.

musa

Über Member
Will do Ill inform you of the ride i mentioned

ps I have insurance via the Fridays

Stevie B

Hi everybody
You seem unsure as to what you want, you quote the speeds then say you do'nt want to race. I echo what dave r said - try an Audax or two.

So after nearly three years of commuting most days I signed up for the London to brighton, which I trained for really hard by doing weekly 30 mile loops around Richmond park. I have to say that I found the L2B to be amazing, despite getting a bit light headed which was easily remidied with some lunch I hurtled along at an average speed of 18mph in the un-congested bits, took Ditchling in my stride and got to over 40 mph on the way down. Got through it with a rolling time of 4h 19m which given the traffic was decent in my view.

SInce doing the ride I've just dropped back in to normal commuting and can already feel the fitness I'd gained ebbing away. So my question is what next? I loved training, loved the ride, loved the challenge without it being a race (I really don't want to race, I don't really have that whole competitive thing), but I want to be able to challenge myself.

So what do I do next. As I say, I don't want the bullshit of joining a cycling club or racing, and don't really want to be a serial fundraising guy. How do I get a decent mid paced, mid distanced ride to keep me motivated without going down a more competitive route?

Are things like the Evans Sportives full of racers or are they a bit more accessible?

All advice greatly read!

Top Bottom