MTB drop bar conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NeilM

I did this Rourke a while ago, originally based on mostly mtb running gear, but the further I went with it the more compatibility issues I ran into so I ended up running basically a SRAM cx chainset.

It rode well enough but was really neither fish nor fowl and was too good a frame just to be used on high days and holidays, so it was all stripped down and the frame now lives in Spain.

DSCN0373_zps15d7a3d1.jpg

Looking good., as did John Tomac, on his YETI, or Raleigh, in the mid-90's

And, as for those Kevlar(?) foldable rear discs
801f613a42ef5aed1a8f6db1f07e9608.jpg EUBK_John_Tomac_Yeti_C-26.jpg

KneesUp

Guru
Have you done anything with the bars @cyberknight ?

I run John Tomac Cinellis on my conversion - they're very wide (46cm I think) and very comfortable. (Excuse the badly adjusted mudguards)
30029778601_1c10e73cb9_z.jpg

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Have you done anything with the bars @cyberknight ?

I run John Tomac Cinellis on my conversion - they're very wide (46cm I think) and very comfortable. (Excuse the badly adjusted mudguards) View attachment 333603
Not yet , one of those i gotta do jobs but as i am skint till pay day ( more than usual ) a new set of bars and longer cables is a no no .I am finding going uphill the front end goes light atm, could be the panniers not helping ?

I have finally got around to converting my subway to drops.
Bontrager drop bars off flea bay , less than £10
Tektro rl 520 linear aero brake levers £15.99
8 speed/ friction left bar end shifters second hand £8
Bar tape £6.99
Cables , i had in stock
Longer stem as the bars are a really short reach , in stock

I might flip the stem yet as this is the initial set up , all indexed and test ridden :smile:
View attachment 122166

The old CX trick was to trim down the ends of the bars, by a couple of inches, so that the shifters weren't knocked by knees when out of the saddle

Top Bottom