Mtb glasses for changing light conditions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I'm looking for glasses recommendations. On a ride in the woods someone was telling me about his. They react very quickly to changes in light conditions so good visibility is maintained. We all know what is like charging through the trees on a sunny day and the problem changes in light cause visibility.

Looking for a reliable good value pair. I think the guy I spoke to said they were Tifosi.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@Oldfentiger was wearing a pair on a ride that I did with him a few weeks ago. They were also bifocals, so I borrowed them to read the menu at our cafe stop. I think they were THESE from Merlin Cycles. Handy if you need reading glasses, maybe not so handy if you don't!

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
+1 for the bbb glasses as recommended by Colin. Mrs kes has a pair and likes them muchly.

Ive got oakley photochromic and theyre brilliant.... But a bit pricey tbh.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Thanks for the recommendation of reading glasses and such for the short sighted.
What I am actually after is a pair that are good for darting through the trees on a bright day when the light keeps going quickly from bright to dark but allows you to keep seeing detail.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I don't think you'll find any photochromic lens that will react that fast. Mine take about 30 seconds to darken and a couple of minutes to clear afterwards. People might tell you that a tinted lens will help but I'm dubious about that. Nothing reacts as fast as the human eye, which is certainly a little quicker than photochromic.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thanks for the recommendation of reading glasses and such for the short sighted.
What I am actually after is a pair that are good for darting through the trees on a bright day when the light keeps going quickly from bright to dark but allows you to keep seeing detail.

@Oldfentiger was wearing a pair on a ride that I did with him a few weeks ago. They were also bifocals, so I borrowed them to read the menu at our cafe stop.
I.e. they are photochromic sunglasses, but they happen to have reading inserts at the bottom.

I agree with Globalti though - I can't see properly in those conditions even without sunglasses on. The 'camouflage-net' effect of dappled sunlight in woods is very hard to cope with at speed and I don't think any glasses are going to improve on the naked eye.

PS Juic-e sunglasses might be what you are looking for, if they ever actually go into production!

Last edited:

MountainSide

I remember the photochromic sunglasses from the 1990's. I think they were called Reactolite Rapids or similar. Thought they were so cool and always wondered what happened to them so good to know they still exist. As others have said though they were quite slow despite the name. Don't underestimate regular "polarized" lenses though, cuts out the glare so the eyes don't overreact to bright objects, giving better contrast.

JhnBssll

Veteran
+1 for the Oakley photochromic. I've got a pair of flak 2 XL's with them that I wear when mountain biking. They're not super quick to change but they're pretty effective.

My glasses are from Optilabs.
I need prescription anyway, but they do reactive and tinted. Far cheaper than Oakley etc. Reactive is far too slow for sudden changes.
Certain tints are supposed to help in certain settings but I've never felt the need to try them.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I don't think you'll find any photochromic lens that will react that fast. Mine take about 30 seconds to darken and a couple of minutes to clear afterwards. People might tell you that a tinted lens will help but I'm dubious about that. Nothing reacts as fast as the human eye, which is certainly a little quicker than photochromic.
This. In your situation I would be going for a yellowish tint, which is the best all-rounder I think, maintaining better vision when going into shadow, whilst reducing glare in bright areas.

They don't react fast enough and in a bright but cloudy day, they'll still stay quite dark. A tinted pair will be better or even a cap to shade your eyes. I bet the bloke you spoke to has shelled out a few bob and didn't want to admit they don't work that well.

Top Bottom