MTB in the Minehead/Exmoor area

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Will shortly be visiting Minehead for a week of seeing my parents ( they retired down there), walking and cycling. In the past we've taken road touring bikes. Thinking of taking mountain bikes for a change this year. I know that there are lots of bridleways in the area that in theory you can take a bike on but, at this time of year, can anyone tell me, are they any good ? Any specific recommendations would be most welcome too.
Thanks.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Sneak to the Mendips

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Will shortly be visiting Minehead for a week of seeing my parents ( they retired down there), walking and cycling. In the past we've taken road touring bikes. Thinking of taking mountain bikes for a change this year. I know that there are lots of bridleways in the area that in theory you can take a bike on but, at this time of year, can anyone tell me, are they any good ? Any specific recommendations would be most welcome too.
Thanks.
Loads to go at all over Somerset / North Devon.
There are MTB specific maps available for the area.
http://www.goldeneyeguides.co.uk/cycling-maps/exmoor-mountain-bike-routes

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m...amsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#xxri=0

You don't need to start anywhere other than Minehead. Head in any direction other than north and you'll find fantastic riding.
For a quick ride, go up and over Hopcott, then cross country to Horner and back.
For one of the top 20 rides in the country, head to Porlock and Dunkery Beacon (the eponymous purple-headed mountain of All Things Bright and Beautiful) - route here: http://www.mbr.co.uk/routes/south-west-england/exmoor-gps-route-download-318776
You could also ride along past the harbour, to the roundabout at the end and simply keep going up and over Culvercliff and onto North Hill. Before you know it you'll be up on top of Exmoor with amazing views across the Bristol Channel and great trails.
Anything involving Cloutsham or Horner are also stunning, especially at this time of year.

Pop into Pompy's Cycles in town for a coffee and a million other suggestions too.

Full disclosure: I grew up in Minehead and used to ride all those on a hardtail in my youth, and having thought all of the above through, now really want to go visit my family there!

You don't need to start anywhere other than Minehead. Head in any direction other than north and you'll find fantastic riding.
For a quick ride, go up and over Hopcott, then cross country to Horner and back.
For one of the top 20 rides in the country, head to Porlock and Dunkery Beacon (the eponymous purple-headed mountain of All Things Bright and Beautiful) - route here: http://www.mbr.co.uk/routes/south-west-england/exmoor-gps-route-download-318776
You could also ride along past the harbour, to the roundabout at the end and simply keep going up and over Culvercliff and onto North Hill. Before you know it you'll be up on top of Exmoor with amazing views across the Bristol Channel and great trails.
Anything involving Cloutsham or Horner are also stunning, especially at this time of year.

Pop into Pompy's Cycles in town for a coffee and a million other suggestions too.

Full disclosure: I grew up in Minehead and used to ride all those on a hardtail in my youth, and having thought all of the above through, now really want to go visit my family there!
Totally agree with above. Quantocks are ok, but why go to the Mendips when you've got the glory of Exmoor on your doorstep (I live in Blue Anchor between Watchet and Minehead).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
We took your advice and took the mtb's rather than road bikes. I'd ordered the Goldeneye guide but unfortunately it didn't arrive in time. But we picked up the below in a Tourist Information shop and it did the job nicely. We had a couple of excellent rides out of it and will be looking to do more next time we visit.
IMG_0234.JPG

Top Bottom