MTB or Road Shoes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FOAD

I am awaiting delivery of a road bike purchased on the Cycle to Work Scheme.

Until now I have been using a MTB to cycle to work and just use normal shoes/trainers on pedals with a toe cage at the front.

I can't decide whether to go for MTB (with SPD pedals/cleats) or road shoes (with SPD-SL/ Look etc.).

I have narrowed my choices down to Specialized MTB Comps or Northwave Lizzard SBS in MTB shoes, or Specialized Elite or Northwave Typhoon SBS in road shoes (purely because they are the only two makes I can get a good fit in).

As about 90 percent of my weekly mileage (75 miles ish) will be on the road bike, I am tempted to get road shoes, but as I want to do some off road stuff, I am torn between off roading in my trainers still and just having road shoes, or having a pair that covers both (am I making sense).

Is there much difference between road and MTB shoes for road use and are there any benefits of a three bolt cleat system over two bolt (SPD) etc.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Road shoes are lighter and road pedals generally attach to the cleat on one side only.

SPD pedals have attachments on both sides of the pedal so would be better for stop - start commuting

Most road shoes have very limited grip on the sole with the cleat protruding so are tricky to walk in. MTB shoes have chunky grips and a recessed cleat so are better for walking in. There are some in-between hybrid shoes from Lake that will do both road and trail.

I'd go with SPD and hybrid shoes for commuting/leisure myself.

Fiona N

Veteran
I use mtb shoes (Specialized) for all my riding nowadays but have road pedals (Crank Brothers' Quattros) on the road bikes (recumbents, actually) and Crank Bros Candys on the mtb. The main diference is the size of the platform (I don't do enough mud-plugging to require Eggbeaters on the mtb) but a bit of surgery is required to the soles of the mtb shoes (removing a lug) to fit around the outboard bearings on the Quattros. This is quite a neat solution - the cleats are the same for both pedals and are recessed like spds so walking is fine. Previously I've used various road pedals (Look, Speedplay) and mtb pedals (spds) with different shoes but now I'm pretty happy with the Crank Bros single shoe solution.

In case you're not familiar with the Crank Bros pedals - they're 4 sided, so no problems with entry, very easy to clip in and out of, loads of float (nearly as good as Speedplays in this regard) and hard-wearing. I can defintely recommend them.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I use MTB shoes for commuting as I can wear them at work all day, if you get SPD SL road shoes you will need to have something to change into when you get there...

I use SPD-SLs on my summer bike and if you have to walk more than a few feet forget them any benefit they deliver over spds just isn't worth it. On my winter/ general bike I use spesh bg sport with A520 pedals and I find these offer a good in between. For the work I don't cover enough distance, so I don't really worry and wear cheap lidl mtb shoes with M424 spd pedals.

Cubist

Still wavin'
GO for the SPDs and a pair of MTB trainers. Unless you are a serious roadie, the extra weight will hardly make any difference, and they are far better for walking in off the bike.
+1 for the Crank Bros pedals. I love my eggbeaters.

jay clock

Massive member

bonj2

personally i'd recommend:
* if you're comfortable with using flat pedals and trainers on the MTB off road then stick with that. I'm not, personally - but everybody's different. If you're used to it, then all well and good - just get some road shoes for the new bike.

* ime, i've tried all makes of mtb pedals and only shimano are easy to clip into. ymmv.

* i've also tried single sided road pedals (ultegra SL) and personally i find them difficult to clip into as they can be the wrong way up and if you 'miss', then your foot can slip off the pedal leaving you unable to put power down.

* speedplay zeros are road pedals which are double sided so easy to clip into but still have the advantage of road pedals which is that they're large platformed.

* when using mtb pedals, stiff soles can be more comfortable especially for road use.

OP
OP
FOAD

FOAD

Thanks for the advice everyone.

On Tuesday morning I did the 26 mile commute to work on my MTB with some Shimano SPD pedals and a Pair of Specialized MTB Comps (both borrowed from a mate).

The difference was incredible...I usually get cramp in one of my feet for a good ten minutes just using trainers and normal pedals with a cage on the front, not a moment of discomfort (apart from cold feet) suffered on this trip...but the main thing was pulling up and pushing down maed one hell of a difference on the hills and even on the flat into a bit of a head wind.

Am gonna stick with normal pedals on the MTB as I will only use it to cycle 1000 yards to the gym or out with the kids, and have ordered some road shoes...just gotta decide on the cleats/pedals now ;)

peanut

FOAD said:
Am gonna stick with normal pedals on the MTB as I will only use it to cycle 1000 yards to the gym or out with the kids, and have ordered some road shoes...just gotta decide on the cleats/pedals now :blush:

Every poster (incl me ) has recpommended that you get a pair of MTB shoes as they have recessed cleats and grippy soles which you can walk normally in and wear all day at work should you wish to.

You have ignored everyone's advice and decided to buy road shoes which are impossible to walk in and give no advantage whatsoever for your use .

May I ask why ?;)

welcome to the forum by the way

I would have thought a shoe like this would suit your purpose well
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shimano_M076_Cycling_Shoes/5360038667/

or maybe these
http://www.1stgearcycles.com/store/product_details.vc?VChid3=RyoktGz4xMaCOIdxv5XOcWc2JSFFpJcX

Young Un

But you are never a true roadie until you clip around the cafe stop in you proper road shoes with proper sticky out cleats:biggrin::biggrin:.

I have the Northwave Vertigo road shoe, which I find very comfortable and they have lasted well.

Steve

peanut

Young Un said:
But you are never a true roadie until you clip around the cafe stop in you proper road shoes with proper sticky out cleats:biggrin::biggrin:.

Steve

;):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: spilling your tea all the way back to your table :blush::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Young Un

peanut said:
;):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: spilling your tea all the way back to your table :blush::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Actually the only time I have stopped in cafe's I have either been waited on, or have had the Hot Chocolate and mince pie delivered by another club member. I'm the kid so all the oldies look after me:biggrin:, for the hot chocolate I ended up with two because two people bought me one, but unfortunately I didn't get a second mince pie, and I didn't have to pay for any of it:biggrin:

But I can see your point, and have seen it happen :blush:

OP
OP
FOAD

FOAD

peanut said:
Every poster (incl me ) has recpommended that you get a pair of MTB shoes as they have recessed cleats and grippy soles which you can walk normally in and wear all day at work should you wish to.

You have ignored everyone's advice and decided to buy road shoes which are impossible to walk in and give no advantage whatsoever for your use .

May I ask why ?:smile:

welcome to the forum by the way

I would have thought a shoe like this would suit your purpose well
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shimano_M076_Cycling_Shoes/5360038667/

or maybe these
http://www.1stgearcycles.com/store/product_details.vc?VChid3=RyoktGz4xMaCOIdxv5XOcWc2JSFFpJcX

Peanut, I respect your question as indeed I have gone against most of the advice, and therefore I will attempt to justify why to put your mind at rest :ohmy::

I have a 26 mile round trip commute to work, plenty of different routes all about the same mileage with the same type of hills, none of which I expect to walk on.

I may use my new road bike for the odd fitness ride until I really get the bug but have little intention of ever cycling to anywhere that I will have to walk more than 20 yards if I can help it for the moment at least.

I plan to use my MTB purely to cycle the 1000 yards to the gym, and for leisure rides with the family, with pub stops and the like, hence why I am happy to continue on my MTB with normal pedals.

However the major deciding factor on why I am getting road shoes, is I tried on several brands and found that SIDI provided the best fit by a mile, and I then located a pair of SIDI Genius 5's for £65 delivered (just came by courier incidentally). Had Dominators or Eagle 2's been available at that price instead of the Genius 5's then I would have got them instead, as I would prefer to have a really good fitting pair of shoes at the best price I can get them, the type of shoe (MTB or Road) is now secondary as I have analised my potential usage and realised I would not be walking anywhere.

Obviously because of the delay in my bike arriving (it still isn't here :laugh:) I have had chance to borrow kit and try stuff out that I never thought I would get the opportunity for before having to buy shoes, so I have really answered my own questions and gotten a clearer picture of how and where I will be riding.

I hope that all makes sense, and I certainly meant no disrespect to anyone by not heading the general advice.

peanut

FOAD said:
Peanut, I respect your question as indeed I have gone against most of the advice, and therefore I will attempt to justify why to put your mind at rest :ohmy::

I have a 26 mile round trip commute to work, plenty of different routes all about the same mileage with the same type of hills, none of which I expect to walk on.

I may use my new road bike for the odd fitness ride until I really get the bug but have little intention of ever cycling to anywhere that I will have to walk more than 20 yards if I can help it for the moment at least.

I plan to use my MTB purely to cycle the 1000 yards to the gym, and for leisure rides with the family, with pub stops and the like, hence why I am happy to continue on my MTB with normal pedals.

However the major deciding factor on why I am getting road shoes, is I tried on several brands and found that SIDI provided the best fit by a mile, and I then located a pair of SIDI Genius 5's for £65 delivered (just came by courier incidentally). Had Dominators or Eagle 2's been available at that price instead of the Genius 5's then I would have got them instead, as I would prefer to have a really good fitting pair of shoes at the best price I can get them, the type of shoe (MTB or Road) is now secondary as I have analised my potential usage and realised I would not be walking anywhere.

Obviously because of the delay in my bike arriving (it still isn't here :sad:) I have had chance to borrow kit and try stuff out that I never thought I would get the opportunity for before having to buy shoes, so I have really answered my own questions and gotten a clearer picture of how and where I will be riding.

I hope that all makes sense, and I certainly meant no disrespect to anyone by not heading the general advice.

hey I was just kiddin with ya :biggrin: sorry , most folk know when I'm being facetious .
Respect your choice and comfort is the most important factor at the end of the day.

The main advantage of MTB shoes is the option of walking around in them at your destination without the need to take a spare pair of shoes with you . Sounds like you don't expect to be walking anywhere ;)

Hope your bike comes in time for the weekend.

Top Bottom